PDA

View Full Version : Rancho Seco Trout Derby Set For March 29 and 30

AnglingWes
02-10-2014, 10:27 AM
The SMUD Rancho Seco Recreational Area Trout Derby will take place this year on March 29 and 30.

Anglers will have a chance to win cash prizes plus a fishing kayak and fishing equipment. Thousands of catchable rainbow trout will be planted in the lake for the event.
The entry fee is $5, plus a daily park fee. The gates will open at 6 a.m., rain or shine. RV camping, as well as boat rentals are available.
Rancho Seco is located located 25 miles south of Sacramento. For more information about the derby, camping or directions, visit smud.org/ranchoseco (http://smud.org/ranchoseco) or call 916-732-4913 or 209-748-2318.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z410/anglingwes/0022-14FishSnifferAdB_W618x75801-00_zps561ba8c1.jpg

Prototype
02-13-2014, 10:19 AM
I hit up my old man the moment I read this post because he's a fiber engineer at SMUD and kind of gave him a hard time he had never taken me to this derby before back when I was younger. He told me he had participated in this event in years past and didn't have a really pleasant experience. Apparently some participants felt they were being over run in the immediate area they were fishing on the water. I'm not sure if things have cleaned up in terms of etiquette and respect for others (I hope it has at least).

Anyone else been to this derby? Was it an overall good experience? It'd be nice to hang out with my old man for a weekend doing some fishing, if I can get him to give the derby another chance...

CAL.NDN
02-13-2014, 10:28 AM
I've been going for years, and,every year I say in not doing that agin lol its,combat to the fullest lil spot and there will be hundreds. But like,always,there lots of good peoples who are curtious and them there the groups who don't care and if your catching there not a,swarm.of seagulls will flock.your spot and fish a completely diffrent stlye than you are till a few,words,are,exchanged and lines,crossed and someone het your message that its your spot. Anyways like I said you might have fun and meet some,good folks,if you can handle dealingvwith some idiots with no class. Good luck if you go

monkey916
02-13-2014, 10:33 AM
2nd. that... on the combat fishing out there... if you have a short temper... you might not want to fish the derby...Lol... wait till its over...:fencing:

bankaroos
02-13-2014, 10:42 AM
Calndian, sounds like you had that experience last year,lol

CAL.NDN
02-13-2014, 11:05 AM
Dang bankaroos ain't seen ya in forever lol oh yea last Derby :). No last year I didn't have problems usualy don't but I do see some every year and might had one or two confratations in past :). Hey but what ya do its,a Derby and small lake its bond to happen.

Starscream
02-13-2014, 03:08 PM
I have competed in the derby before and yea just like seagulls they will rin with the truck where ever it goes cuz there's only two places where the are dropped off at. In both years I got 12th place. Ill go this year again only if it doesn't rain.

bankaroos
02-13-2014, 03:22 PM
Yes Chris, saw you a few times on the American last year slaying those salmonid and I didn't
want to ruin your mojo.After all fishing's just for fun especially the derbys.

CAL.NDN
02-13-2014, 03:34 PM
Oh hell I didn't see you next time holler yep its all fun and either solitary or combat just make the best of what ya got and where your while you can. I love fishing catching is,always nice too.

frogger
02-24-2014, 10:19 AM
I've been there and watched the bankers on the North boat ramp. So many it nearly submerged.

future_pro
02-27-2014, 07:33 PM
can you fish this derby in a boat or pontoon?

monkey916
02-27-2014, 07:53 PM
can you fish this derby in a boat or pontoon?
yep... you can fish out of a boat or pontoon... only electric motors allowed... no gas motors... can't have a gas motor on your boat...

future_pro
02-27-2014, 08:23 PM
thats sweet, i have both lol. a pontoon and a 14ft valco bowmount trolling. now that i know that i can fished from vessel i might join =) anyone care to join?

BaitMaster
03-20-2014, 07:14 AM
thats sweet, i have both lol. a pontoon and a 14ft valco bowmount trolling. now that i know that i can fished from vessel i might join =) anyone care to join?

Like mentioned before, they usually stock 2 areas and the trout stay thick in those areas until the derby is over.

If you bring a vessel, you will most likely end up on anchor casting towards the PACKED shoreline.

Pontoons and kayaks can do pretty well targeting the fish that venture out of the chaos, near the shoreline, with jigs.... for that reaction bite.

Brickinthewall98
03-24-2014, 06:27 PM
I saw bait masters post but is it worth bringing a kayak? I can anchor and soak bait and kast or troll.... What do u guys think. And is there diffrence in the fishing depending if u go on Saturday or Sunday?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BaitMaster
03-24-2014, 08:01 PM
If its not a hassle...bring it.

I've only fished it from the bank, so I can't offer too much input into how to effectively use your kayak to fish the derby.

I think the winner of last years derby was in a boat sight fishing for them, who knows where...lol.

Saturday morning will be crowded. Sunday is usually a little better and people thin out as the derby comes to the end.... maybe it will rain and scare some people off?

I enjoy watching the kids hook up, so I hope its not too bad this year.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

Brickinthewall98
03-24-2014, 09:01 PM
Thanks i will try to bring it. Mainly so i can escape the combat on shore. From what i have read it sounds like every one just crowds the truck for the biggest planter... This should be fun :) Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BaitMaster
03-24-2014, 09:36 PM
Its funny watching everyone run to there cars and scratch their tires, chasing the trout truck, when it decides to stock across the lake, lol.

CA_FISH_ON
03-27-2014, 05:38 PM
I used to go every year, usually first day of tournament and never cought anything. The action increased greatly in a week or two. I loved catching those Amador cutbows on an ultralight setup. I heard they no longer stock the Amador cutbows, I believe it might be Mt Lassen trout, anybody know for sure?

Starscream
03-27-2014, 07:26 PM
I usually go sundays instead because of the rain. I think the trout bait gets bad in the rain. Looks likr this year saturday rain so maybr sunday.

Brickinthewall98
03-29-2014, 12:44 PM
Well today was my first trip to rancho seco. I woke up at 430 thinking itd would be raining but sky looked clear. Checked forecast and said it would be pouring by 8 so i decided to leave the yak and bank it. Show up at 630 and the whole side near the office and boat ramp was crowded so i went to the other side till 10 ish for not one bite. Came back to the boat ramp as the truck came. Man they planted huge trout. Everyone swarmed the truck and i only saw four ppeople pull out fish. One boy pulled out a 9 pounder!! I end up catching nada. Action seemed pretty slow. I soaked all kinds of pb and pe and swung bunch of lures... Shoulda went to the delta ;)
... Oh and the rain started dumping at 12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jfitalia
03-29-2014, 01:16 PM
I remember is years past they would stock the day before the derby. I don't understand the reasoning on stocking at 10am on derby day. :help:

Starscream
03-29-2014, 03:54 PM
Did they stock both boat ramps

Jfitalia
03-29-2014, 03:54 PM
They usually do yes

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Starscream
03-30-2014, 02:07 PM
Today i went to the derby with my brothers and all three of us limited out just after the circus came. We got there at 6am and decided to go see the circus side and decided oh hell no i aint joining the circus and then went to the first dock and fished it and caught some all three of us would have gotten a fatty if my other brother didnt lose one. Anyways yea we caught most of ours before the circus came running to our side my brother got a 6 lb while i got a 8 lb. We didnt have to throw far. We left at 1130 with our heads held high.19662

fishingfrieda
03-30-2014, 05:13 PM
Today i went to the derby with my brothers and all three of us limited out just after the circus came. We got there at 6am and decided to go see the circus side and decided oh hell no i aint joining the circus and then went to the first dock and fished it and caught some all three of us would have gotten a fatty if my other brother didnt lose one. Anyways yea we caught most of ours before the circus came running to our side my brother got a 6 lb while i got a 8 lb. We didnt have to throw far. We left at 1130 with our heads held high.19662

Awesome! Did you guys win anything or just fishing to fish?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

WHT.RUS
03-30-2014, 05:40 PM
Are the color of these fish normal? First time seeing them so dark

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Starscream
03-30-2014, 06:06 PM
From the weigh in i am 4th place and my brother is 7th place yea the pic was taken like three hours ago when we caught the fish. Umm if i do stay 4th place i get 2 day pass and 25 dollars and fishsniffer stuff. Top dog of all adult and kids combine who gets the highests gets a kayak.

fishingfrieda
03-30-2014, 06:18 PM
Hope you win!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Brickinthewall98
03-30-2014, 08:54 PM
Has any one beat the boy with the 9 pounder? I hope he wins the kayak he looked soo happy to have that fish

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Starscream
03-30-2014, 08:59 PM
I think one guy got a ten pounder.

Starscream
04-21-2014, 06:13 PM

Got my fish sniffer stuff hat shirt pline ten pound and fire rainbow pb. Thanks sniffer.

salmonid
04-21-2014, 06:30 PM
Good it worked out! I'm a little bit jealous that I don't target trout (yet)!

Congrats on the placing & the haul,