PDA

View Full Version : I finally got some grill marks!

MB_Kevin
05-19-2009, 06:39 PM
There was a post on here a while back about making grill marks on your meat. *On my old BBQ I could not get good ones no matter what I did. *>:( ;D

Being in Pacifica It finally rusted out, So I decided to buy a portable BBQ so I could take it into my shop when Im done and not rust out another one. *This Weber one was the best I could find being portable.

I threw on my first steak today and didn't do anything special at all. *I was very happy when I flipped it and seen grill marks. [smiley=banana.gif] *It must have been my old BBQ just $ucked. *Now I am going to try and get good grill marks on my meat like I was trying to do a while back. *Maybe even those X ones they were talking about.

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/3961/p5190004.jpg

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/503/p5190006.jpg

metalmouth
05-20-2009, 05:04 AM
Great looking steak! Now my mouth is watering and I'm still drinking coffee! ;D

CHEESECAKELADY
05-20-2009, 08:14 AM
Most people make the mistake of not having their grill hot enough and then constantly moving the meat. That may be what was wrong before. Another thing to remember is to bring the meat to room temp and make sure it isn't wet. Steak looks great. Good luck in the future with the new grill.

Dee

SOUTH_BAY_FISHER
05-20-2009, 08:51 AM
I like the grill marks and i get them on my grill i have a $150 grill from wally world propane. I bring meet to room temp and let the grill pre heat on high this gets the grill nice and hot. Thus i can sear the meat and leave grill marks right away then turn down the grill if i want. For example with chicken and pork i start out on high then got to medium and i get a perfictly cook pice of meet with nice x grill marks. as stated previously do only rotate meat once to achive x marks and let it sit there it will cook just fine.

Ben

żżż
05-20-2009, 09:59 AM
There was a post on here a while back about making grill marks on your meat. *On my old BBQ I could not get good ones no matter what I did. *>:( ;D

Being in Pacifica It finally rusted out, So I decided to buy a portable BBQ so I could take it into my shop when Im done and not rust out another one. *This Weber one was the best I could find being portable.

I threw on my first steak today and didn't do anything special at all. *I was very happy when I flipped it and seen grill marks. [smiley=banana.gif] *It must have been my old BBQ just $ucked. *Now I am going to try and get good grill marks on my meat like I was trying to do a while back. *Maybe even those X ones they were talking about.

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/3961/p5190004.jpg

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/503/p5190006.jpg

Oh yeah. Yummy crispy bits on the edge! :)

I've got a full rib-eye rack aging for a week and I'm thinking some of that may not make it to two weeks... ;)

I've found that cast iron grates make the best marks. They will rust if you don't baby them though. Gotta keep 'em well lubed. ::)

MB_Kevin
05-20-2009, 07:16 PM
Most people make the mistake of not having their grill hot enough and then constantly moving the meat. That may be what was wrong before. Another thing to remember is to bring the meat to room temp and make sure it isn't wet. Steak looks great. Good luck in the future with the new grill.

* * Dee

Thanks for the info. *I was making the grill as hot as it got and not moving it before. *This was the first time I let the meat sit to get room temp. *I just read that in the weber guide. *I think my old grill just didn't get very hot it would read about 400 max. *

Gotta keep 'em well lubed.
*Any info on what to keep it lubed with? *It already got some stains on it I couldn't get off from the first use.

CJC
05-20-2009, 07:27 PM
*Any info on what to keep it lubed with? *It already got some stains on it I couldn't get off from the first use.Oil, chicken fat, meat fat, wrap it in bacon! ;D ;D ;D

MB_Kevin
05-20-2009, 08:30 PM
*Any info on what to keep it lubed with? *It already got some stains on it I couldn't get off from the first use.Oil, chicken fat, meat fat, wrap it in bacon! *;D ;D ;D

I can do that. ;) 8-)

żżż
05-22-2009, 06:21 AM

* * Dee

Thanks for the info. *I was making the grill as hot as it got and not moving it before. *This was the first time I let the meat sit to get room temp. *I just read that in the weber guide. *I think my old grill just didn't get very hot it would read about 400 max. *

Gotta keep 'em well lubed.
*Any info on what to keep it lubed with? *It already got some stains on it I couldn't get off from the first use.

To get the grill extra hot, put an inverted sheet pan (that you don't care about as it may warp) over the area you are going to start grilling on while you're preheating. *It should be a noticable difference.

To inhibit rust as much as possible, I season the grates the same way I do cast iron pans. *Heat the cast iron pan in a 350* oven for a few minutes with a little crisco (for the grates, melt it in a microwave for obvious reasons!). *Remove it from oven and rub crisco over all surfaces. *Return iron to oven and bake for one hour. *Turn oven off and allow iron to cool in oven. Wipe excess oil off and it's ready to go. *Do not wash cast iron with soap! *Hot water and a brush are all you need. *The more you use it, the better it will perform. *

Why crisco? *It's refined, and won't go rancid on you as fast as other oils... :)

MB_Kevin
05-22-2009, 07:44 PM
Thanks Mooch I will do that. I got it open box so it didn't have the directions but did have a little book with tips. It said to oil the meat and not the grill. I was thinking of oiling it but when I read that I decided not to. I will do that before I use it again. I should have known because I have done that with my cast iron pans before.

CJC
05-24-2009, 11:33 AM
To inhibit rust as much as possible, I season the grates the same way I do cast iron pans. *Heat the cast iron pan in a 350* oven for a few minutes with a little crisco (for the grates, melt it in a microwave for obvious reasons!). *Remove it from oven and rub crisco over all surfaces. *Return iron to oven and bake for one hour. *Turn oven off and allow iron to cool in oven. Wipe excess oil off and it's ready to go. *Do not wash cast iron with soap! *Hot water and a brush are all you need. *The more you use it, the better it will perform. *

Why crisco? *It's refined, and won't go rancid on you as fast as other oils... :)You are too good with your grill Mooch. ;D I just brush it lightly and it's good for the next time. Just burn off the excess grease before I use it. :D ;D ;D ;D

GutHookd
05-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Jesus MB that thing looks well done man!!!! I"m a rare kinda guy, but after skipping lunch that looks to be a tasty steak.

Best advice anyone ever gave me on grilling was to use a single flip. Time it just right and cook one side, then the other and pull it. Chasing the juices I think they called it. Works great, even on thick Tri-Tip.

oah god I'm hungry.

żżż
05-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Warning: Do Not Peruse this board when hungry!!! ;D

I'm a one-flip guy too. You have to know the temp of the grill and the timing of the item you're cooking though. When doing burgers, I cook the first side til I start to see blood seep out the top. Give 'er a flip and do the same for the other side. Pull it and let sit for a minute. Perfect medium/m. rare every time.

MB_Kevin
05-27-2009, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the tips on seasoning the grill mooch! *I did that and it looks better. *I also did the cast iron grate on the stove top.

*That first steak was actually still red in the middle. *Most of my family and I like our meat well done most of the time.
*Here goes some of the things I have played around with after that one.

Some short ribs...Im mostly playing around with the grill marks more then being done to perfection. *;D

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/439/p5250004i.jpg

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/403/p5250007f.jpg

Another steak

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/2471/p5270009.jpg

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/3223/p5270012.jpg

żżż
05-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Looking good! When are we eating? ;)

Did your steaks have a marinade, and did it still have a fair amount of it when you put them on the grill? You may get cleaner grill marks if you wipe off any extra marinade off of the meat. If it's a soy/sugar-based marinade it'll just end up burning.

I usually have an 'indirect heat' zone on my grill where I can hold meats that need to be cooked more without messing up the grill marks by keeping them over the flame. So for instance, I got a ripping hot grill on the right side and NO heat on the far left. After I grill off the meat on the right, I transfer it to the left and put the lid down. I then let it 'roast' until done.

I like my steaks rare so I only do this for others. :)

MB_Kevin
05-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Dang Mooch! Good eye. I have been using (only after getting this grill) some Veri Veri teriyaki Sause someone recommend soaking those ribs in. I did the same on the steak. I will have to try it without the marinade and see what kind of marks I get.

żżż
05-28-2009, 07:56 PM
VVTS is some good shtuff man. *I use it in a pinch when I don't have time to make up my own marinade. There's a Korean BBQ marinade that's excellent also, but I don't remember the brand. If I can locate it in my pantry, I'll post it up. Use the one that has no MSG and a short list of ingredients. It gets its sweetness from pear juice. How cool is that? :)

When I'm grilling a gooood piece of meat like aged prime beef, it gets nothing but salt and pepper. *I wanna taste the beef in all it's beefy goodness.

You'll find that the grill marks are more clean since it's only the beef juice that's carmelizing and not any added sugar.

Speaking of marinades, have any of you used Yoshida sauce on the grill? *Man, that stuff burns like the dickens and leaves some weird plasma goo. *Bizarre stuff - I don't use it any longer...