PDA

View Full Version : San Pablo Rage

SierraJetSledder
02-12-2014, 09:19 AM
Be warned, the San Pablo boat inspection people are very strict.
I've never taken my boat to any water with mussels, in fact I've barely used it at all the last few months.

Nonetheless, we got a lot of rain, and there were a few inches of water in my boat. So before heading out I soaked it all up with a sponge. I thought I was good to go.

Being an early, cold, foggy morning, the entire boat was still damp with surface moisture. So you guessed it, the San Pablo inspection girl failed my boat. To add insult to injury she quarantined my boat for 5 days.

I was going to buy a season pass and be back this weekend, but now I think I may never be back to San Pablo. It's not like they're the only game in town with hundreds of lakes in the Sierras and Mother Lode.

Anyways, I just wanted to warn you to consider using a chamois and hairdryer to prep your boat before going to San Pablo.
Or even better, go somewhere else.

All the staff at Berryessa, Camanche, and Lake Amador are Saints compared to the staff at San Pablo.

OneTrueBob
02-12-2014, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to get a cover for my boat and make sure it's on before I pull out of the garage and head for the lake Saturday morning. Also consider pulling over before entering the gate and towel drying any condensation that has built up on the ride over.

Del Valle isn't that strict. They will actually let you dry the water out with a towel or cloth instead of failing you. It's a bit much to ask that absolutely no water be in the boat. I understand the reasoning because of evasive species. Do quagga mussels live in droplets of water? Looking at the inspection instructions on the CFG site, it at no point states that small amounts of water should be a reason to fail a boat.

Sorry to hear it ruined your chance to fish and the 5 day quarantine is a bit much IMHO. Is that only for San Pablo or are you on a list for all boat inspection east bay reservoirs?

Line Stretcher
02-12-2014, 11:55 AM
Please contact CDFW concerning this event. Local municipalities are running the inspection stations. If they need training, CDFW should address this issue with local governing factions.

SierraJetSledder
02-12-2014, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the replies OTB and BB.

I'm not sure on the extent of my quarantine. All I know is San Pablo took my personal information and CF number.

Thanks also for the advice on prepping the boat right before I reach the station.

Starscream
02-12-2014, 05:32 PM
Rage quit rage quit nah jk, so by meaning quarenteen they keep or boat for five days or is ur boat going home with you too and ur boats just banned from them

JB14
02-12-2014, 06:59 PM
Del Valle failed me for water residue on the boat and quarantined me. That was the last time I took a boat there. Total crap so I feel your pain. Funny how the fishing took a nose dive when the BS inspections started taking place...

JB14
02-12-2014, 06:59 PM
I was banned for 5 days on all east bay lakes.

SierraJetSledder
02-12-2014, 07:03 PM
Rage quit rage quit nah jk, so by meaning quarenteen they keep or boat for five days or is ur boat going home with you too and ur boats just banned from them

Yeah, I took my boat home. They took down my information.

I will be getting lots more towels and sponges for drying my boat next time, although I probably won't go back to San Pablo for a while.

mikeandkristy
02-13-2014, 06:29 PM
We have had the opposite experience at SP. We went on Monday and the young girl at the kiosk just asked if our boat was dry. We had a band and said yes and she never even came out. Other times when we needed an inspection they just barely looked and sent us out to launch. Now we were only denied once ever and that was at DV . They check us up and down when we need inspection. I guess it is different for everyone. And depends on the day and who is doing it. Sorry that happened to you though. Very dissapointing. I would be very very bummed out.
Kristy.

Reel Fun
02-13-2014, 06:54 PM
With having every boat owner pay for a mussel sticker they should send out a training video? Leaving it up to a low level gate keeper is going to get crazy! I understand they need to be sure but half the time they just ask you if you have been out in the last 30 days? I just say no.....and avoid the inspection. On wet days they might as well close the lake with that attitude! Because its one thing to tell a guy he cant fish the lake....but to ban him from all other lakes in the area and put his CF number on blast??? RF

JB14
02-13-2014, 09:52 PM
If you have a band there's no need for the inspection. It's a free pass.

Reel Fun
02-14-2014, 08:10 AM
I don't fish lakes much but to get a band takes some going right? You have to get inspected and then ask for a band on the way out....then only visit certain lakes after that that accept the band? I am most likely wrong on this? And do all lakes have a band? But still the main thing that comes up every year is trailering to a lake on a drizzly day or rainy day.....and getting turned away?

Line Stretcher
02-14-2014, 10:22 AM
This document and the links contained within and included at the bottom of the document may answer the questions folks might have about the program.

http://www.dbw.ca.gov/PDF/FAQ-QuaggaFee.pdf

luckyraider
02-14-2014, 01:39 PM
In the last 30 days weve had our boat in Englebright, Shasta, and Berryessa. On these lakes there is no inspection or fee. At Berry if you launch at Caples Cove no inspection most of the time. If you launch at the private Marinas you fill out a peice of paper with your name thats it. Shasta has no inspections or anything at Centumudi launch. At Clearlake you have to pay and fill out forms at one of the local baitshops. And you need stickers for boat and trailer. They make you jump through hoops to fish an already polluted lake. Its a totally ineffective program as far as complete protection is concerned. It is a revenue generating program that makes certain people and agencies extra money. In the end there will be that one boat that infects a lake in Norcal and that will start the chain reaction that spreads to all our lakes. JUST LIKE the hookworm infestation that occurs in all Norcal lakes the CDFW is supposed to protect. These inspections will slow down the spread but thats all. While we pay money for nothing but the chance to get hassled by someone who really knows very little about Calif's fish and game.:pirate: