PDA

View Full Version : Help Planning a Party Menu

SuperDave
03-25-2009, 05:51 PM
Our daughter is graduating from Sac State in May and we'll probably have close to 30 people over for an afternoon celebration. What do you guys think I should make to feed that many folks?

metalmouth
03-25-2009, 06:02 PM
For people your daughters age? A keg and 15 pizzas should do nicely. ;)

okie
03-25-2009, 06:03 PM
dave, r u plannin a classy or convenient sort of thing? if convenient i'd go with burgers/hot smoked sausage dogs, potato salad, slaw, deviled eggs and maybe some garlic ribs, or some of the meatballs like i made for the fest. for some dip, on a bakin sheet pan, spread some soft creamcheese, heat some no bean chili (add halepenos for spice), pour over cream cheese, top with mixturs of shredded pepperjack, sharp cheddar and provolone cheeses and heat in oven to kinda melt the cheese on top, served with frito scoops or tortillo chips, some halepeno stuffed olives.
good luck with what ever you decide to do.

SuperDave
03-25-2009, 06:10 PM
I'm on the fence with grilling. I don't want to get stuck standing over it all afternoon while people are enjoying themselves.

okie
03-25-2009, 08:15 PM
dave, do like i did at my last 1 in spain before i left there in 78, 'help yourself', if food aint cooked like you want, blame the chef. i sat and drank sangria and had the wife fix mine, as usual, it was burnt, i made the sangria and it was good, like drinkin coolaid

żżż
03-25-2009, 08:40 PM
You really wanna cook? I'm sure you are capable, but you may want to soak in the moment with your daughter. Have someone cater it. JR's makes a mean brisket...

If you REALLY want to cook, trays of 'fingery' things done ahead along side an array of composed salads and pastas is a great way to feed a crowd and not be... encumbered.

My 2 cents.

MB_Kevin
03-25-2009, 09:21 PM
Congratulations on your daughter graduating from Sac State! You must have done something right. 8-)

Prowler
03-25-2009, 09:58 PM
You could do a Mexican theme with shredded beef, chicken and pork (crock pots). Have some beans, salsa and guacamole with some good chips. Tortillas for tacos or burritos. Lay it all out on the table with the crock pots keeping the food warm and people can just serve themselves when they get hungry.

Congratulations to you and your daughter!

SuperDave
03-26-2009, 05:28 AM
Thanks for the ideas and the congratulations guys. The graduation ceremony will be on Saturday so I was also thinking about doing all my cooking on Friday. I like the crock pot ideas for just keeping stuff warm. Even some big frozen lasagnas with salad and garlic bread have crossed my mind.

CHEESECAKELADY
03-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the ideas and the congratulations guys. *The graduation ceremony will be on Saturday so I was also thinking about doing all my cooking on Friday. *I like the crock pot ideas for just keeping stuff warm. *Even some big frozen lasagnas with salad and garlic bread have crossed my mind.

Dave the Lasagnas and garlic bread idea is great. That is one food everyone likes and it holds well. If you want to keep it warm, just set the grill on the lowest setting and double the pans with some hot water in the bottom one. Put some foil scrunched up in the bottom to keep the pan with the food in it above the heat. I have done this before and it works great. Good luck and congratulations.

Dee

sethonious
03-30-2009, 09:41 AM
I threw a party for about 50 people recently. My advice is to do anything that is make ahead and let people serve themselves. I did a sandwich bar, but have also had success in the past with a taco bar (as prowler suggested) and a luau.

The sandwich bar was well received. I made pulled pork, turkey salad, and grilled tofu (for the veggies). Then people could choose their bread, and fixings (sliced onions, lettuce, tomato, etc.) and condiments and make it how they liked it. Then I also make a big batch of potato salad, pasta salad, and chips for sides. I made everything the day ahead and on the day of all I had to do was heat up the pork and set it on the buffet. It was a lot of work the day ahead, but then I had all day to "get festive" with my guests and not be chained to the stove/grill. The key is to have as many chilled dishes as possible. There will be plenty of ice on hand and it is a lot easier to keep one warm in a crock pot and everything else cool.

Catering is always a possibility, but I find that I can make better food. And in these tough times one big pork butt can feed 10 for about 6 bucks. I always find that guests appreciate the home cooking effort more than bought stuff. PM me if you want any large scale recipes for feeding that many.

Rusty_Hooks
03-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Q the day before....pick up lasagne from a local Italian restaurant, and a couple trays of pre-done cold cuts...shrimp trays at costco....

green salad by the bag....big bag....costco

drinks in the cooler with lots of ice....

lay it out and let the buffet begin

don't try to cook, soak it up pal ;)...congratulations to your daughter on a big step.......done 8-)

I get to do the same thing this year as well...I think Fort bragger's daughter does too....

my son graduates and we go to Flaming Gorge the next week :D

MankinD
04-01-2009, 06:23 AM
Oooo! I like Rusty's party plans.....gorge yourself at 8-)The Gorge

Prowler
05-17-2009, 07:18 PM
Hey Dave, how did the shindig go?...Or was it a hootenanny...I get those confused.

SuperDave
05-17-2009, 07:58 PM
The "wing ding" is next weekend. The invitation list keeps growing. I should of had it catered. The party is Saturday so I have all day Friday to cook and smoke up the grub.

tc
05-18-2009, 02:45 AM
Dave, with that quantity, I think I would go with either the Mexican Food, do it yourself or the Itialian Food, do it yourself style, and just kick back and enjoy.
:o :o :o :o

Tom

metalmouth
05-18-2009, 04:27 AM
Yeah, a taco and burrito bar with some grilled meats would work. Sides of rice, beans, chips, salsa, and a salad bar set up and your styling.

Prowler
05-18-2009, 02:31 PM
The "wing ding" is next weekend. *The invitation list keeps growing. *I should of had it catered. *The party is Saturday so I have all day Friday to cook and smoke up the grub.
I think I misplaced my invitation, which explains my mix-up on the date :( ;D I hope y'all have a great time next weekend at the hoedown and wish your daughter the best of luck for the future [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

żżż
05-18-2009, 03:02 PM
I should of had it catered... *

I won't say it, I won't say it, I won't say it... :-X

In the end, I know you'll have a great celebration! :)

SuperDave
05-18-2009, 05:37 PM
Mooch, I'll complain a little but be in my glory too. ;)

MB_Kevin
05-18-2009, 08:50 PM
Im sure it will all turn out great SD. Have fun.

Rusty_Hooks
05-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Mooch, I'll complain a little but be in my glory too. *;)

Soak it up buddy....once in a lifetime event 8-)...

SuperDave
05-22-2009, 11:31 AM
2 - 8 lbs butts in the smoker
24 - Chicken thighs & 12 chicken breasts on the grill
32 - Brats on another grill
12 potatoes worth of potatoe salad
2 lbs dry macaroni worth of macaroni salad
1 head of cabbage worth of cole slaw

Well, I was up at 5:30 this morning and started my cooking for tomorrow. Most of the stuff listed above is complete, I'll be watching the pork butts the rest of the day. Tomorrow I'll just have to throw some dips together and warm the meats. Oh, and of course, drink a couple beers and enjoy.

żżż
05-22-2009, 12:19 PM
2 - 8 lbs butts in the smoker
24 - Chicken thighs & 12 chicken breasts on the grill
32 - Brats on another grill
12 potatoes worth of potatoe salad
2 lbs dry macaroni worth of macaroni salad
1 head of cabbage worth of cole slaw

Well, I was up at 5:30 this morning and started my cooking for tomorrow. *Most of the stuff listed above is complete, I'll be watching the pork butts the rest of the day. *Tomorrow I'll just have to throw some dips together and warm the meats. Oh, and of course, drink a couple beers and enjoy.

Oh, so it's a small gathering. :)

You realize with all this discussion about the party, it will be imperative that you take pictures... ;)

Glad you didn't forget to plan on having a good time as well. 8-)

SuperDave
05-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Butts are up to 180. Hopefully won't be much longer and I'll be able to wrap them in towels in an empty ice chest to rest.

MB_Kevin
05-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Sounds like you have it covered SD. Im with Mooch I want to see some pic's ;)

Martinez Frank
05-23-2009, 11:26 AM
Butts? nice Dave just keep Mickey away from them you know how he gets ;D no self control ;D ;D

SuperDave
05-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Butts? nice Dave just keep Mickey away from them you know how he gets ;D no self control ;D ;D

Me either Frank. I had to attack some butt last night right when it came off. ;)

Mickey_Thomas
05-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Butts? nice Dave just keep Mickey away from them you know how he gets ;D no self control ;D ;DThis is the first time Franks been right, ever ;D It's true, I like butts :D ;D ;)
* Just got back from Dave's banquet, it's true, Dave, no matter how big the group coming he cooks for 100 :o Smoked and BBQ Chicken, smoked and BBQ Brats'. and Pulled pork butt with Daves' special BBQ sauce :D :D :D Some great eats [smiley=chowtime.gif] [smiley=chowtime.gif] [smiley=chowtime.gif]Everything done to perfection, to bad 100 people didn't show up, but Kathy got to take leftovers home [smiley=chowtime.gif] [smiley=chowtime.gif] [smiley=chowtime.gif]Guess I know what I'm having for the next couple of days, great stuff Dave [smiley=clap.gif] [smiley=clap.gif] [smiley=clap.gif] [smiley=clap.gif] [smiley=clap.gif]Standing ovation as we left ;)
Dave did take pic's, he knows we like pic's :D

SuperDave
05-23-2009, 07:40 PM
The college kids reminded me what youth was like. Mickey and I ate a giant plate and we were done. Those kids could eat a giant plate, drink 3 or 4 beers and then have another giant plate. Made me remember when. :(

Mom and Stacy, the graduate.
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/4350/grad1s.jpg

Pile-O Meat.
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/6410/grad2v.jpg

Your choice of salad.
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/4475/grad3i.jpg

Now for the painful part, clean up!

żżż
05-23-2009, 07:42 PM
The only think we like better than pics is being there to eat it. Why didn't you tell us there weren't enough people there? We would have gladly showed up to help. ;)

Nicely done sir! 8-)

metalmouth
05-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Looks like you did it up right Dave! Congrats!

tc
05-25-2009, 01:45 PM
Looks like the Party was a success, congratulations Dave.

Tom

Mackattack
05-25-2009, 07:49 PM
I'm on the fence with grilling. *I don't want to get stuck standing over it all afternoon while people are enjoying themselves.

Nice job Dave it worked out. Next time call me(ya know some one no one knows)and let me cook. I'll have meat on the table all day long(so long as I got Bud Light in the cooler next to me). And folks will just think whos that guy behind the grill he rocks. Just a thought.

Mackattack

Rusty_Hooks
05-26-2009, 05:46 AM
Nice work big guy...... ;)

all the coolers come in handy now and then ;D ::)

SuperDave
05-26-2009, 06:13 AM
Nice work big guy...... ;)

all the coolers come in handy now and then ;D ::)

Yep, I bought 144 lbs of ice for the party.

fishon18
05-27-2009, 06:34 AM
Now that's what I call a spread. I'm sure your daughter and her friends appreciated every bit of it. Thanks for sharing........

Scott