PDA

View Full Version : Los Gatos Creek above Lexington

glyang
02-12-2014, 07:51 PM
Does anyone know if there are any parts of Los Gatos creek above Lexington and Lake Elsman that are accessible? I would love to try my luck for any native trout that might be in there, naturally I will go barbless and release anything I catch.

Lifted
02-13-2014, 10:21 AM
Does anyone know if there are any parts of Los Gatos creek above Lexington and Lake Elsman that are accessible? I would love to try my luck for any native trout that might be in there, naturally I will go barbless and release anything I catch.

I would say it's highly unlikely there would be much of anything. The DFG says the lake is managed by Santa Clara County, and they definitely aren't like EBMUD when it comes to fishing/planting. That being said, the only fish in the creek would have come from the lake, and any fish put in the lake would be sterile. So their instinct to head toward moving water to spawn, may lead some fish to venture towards and into the creek, but considering it's a man-made res there's pretty much a 0% chance of there being a wild breeding population or even the rogue trout that decides to see what's upstream.

I lived in the south bay a few years ago and researched many of the nearby lakes & reservoirs, only to find that unfortunately you have to go to the East Bay or north to Bon Tempe to find anything worthwhile. Though it definitely would be cool if the lakes managed Santa Clara County started moving in the direction of the reservoirs managed by EBMUD. I've definitely heard stories from Bay Area old timers of steelhead in the larger South Bay creeks, but that was 40-50+ years ago.

jive0400
08-30-2018, 07:05 PM
Try Stevens Creek!!! Sleeper I use to fish it when I was alot smaller and younger. Bass and Trout:7419ne:

LockHerUp
08-31-2018, 11:21 AM
glyang

Try a google search of "Uvas Creek Steelhead". You will find a fishsniffer thread of some useful information. I would copy and past the link here but apparently I have not posted enough times and this system wont let me until I do so.

joez3
08-31-2018, 01:06 PM
Stevens creek hasn't been stocked with trout in years. I have heard last year someone did pull one out of there. I hike near the lake just about every weekend and I have seen bass and some big carp.

Old_Man
07-23-2019, 12:28 PM
Any place I can't use my float tube is out.