PDA

View Full Version : Folsom Lake Report 2/11/14

bbullard128
02-12-2014, 07:57 PM
Yesterday, Tuesday, February 11, myself and two buddies decided we would enjoy our day off from work and take the boat out to try to hook on to some nice trout. Unfortunately, we had a late start after some boat trouble, (having to buy a trolling motor last minute because the outboard wasn't spitting water), we made the decision to go out to Folsom Lake around 1pm.

I'll be honest with you, Folsom Lake is NOT one of my favorite places to fish. I always go elsewhere to places like Lake Amador but time didn't permit so we stayed local so we could fish longer.

Once we got on the water after launching out of Granite Bay, we got three lines in the water off of my 12ft Gregor as soon as possible. We started off throwing on an Uncle Larry's Spinner and two J-7 Rapala's in Firetiger and Gold Fluorescent Red patterns. After about thirty minutes into the trip, we hooked up on a small 14" Rainbow off of the UL Spinner. After landing the fish, we kept trolling and switched up one of the Rapala's for a 1/4 oz Blue/ Silver Kastmaster. Over the course of the next hour we continued to troll towards the dam when all of a sudden we hooked up on a 16" Rainbow trout on the KM. Starting to feel as though the bite was starting to turn on, we threw our Kastmaster back in the water and trolled back over the same spot we just passed when the same rod all of a sudden slammed with the tip to the water. My buddy grabbed for the rod as soon as possible and he fought with a 19 1/2" landlocked King Salmon for a few minutes before we got it safely on the boat.

After this third fish, unfortunately, we had to make it back to dock and head out because one of my buddies had to make it back to school. Nevertheless, I must admit after this short trip to Folsom I have a new found attitude towards the lake. Before yesterday I never really wanted to spend my time there because I never had the best of luck. But, if you put the time in and fish where the fish are, you are bound to get on them sooner or later!

LURKER916
02-12-2014, 08:08 PM
Nice report! Gonna have to try that place someday.

Matt

fishingfrieda
02-12-2014, 08:43 PM
Great report and welcome to the board!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

fishingfrieda
02-12-2014, 08:48 PM
Wait, you meant feb. 11 right?
How is the lake looking? Were there many boats/bankers?

bbullard128
02-12-2014, 08:52 PM
Yes, that was my mistake, FEBRUARY! And the lake was looking...low. Although it went up 14ft after that last rain, it is still pretty low but launchable. As for boats, we only passed 2 on the water but there were about 8 trucks/trailers.

fishingfrieda
02-12-2014, 09:13 PM
Good to know, thanks!

BigBass77
02-13-2014, 12:18 AM
Nice report. How was the water clarity? Also, is the drive out to the launch dried out pretty good or still soft? I'd like to get out there but only have a 2
wheel drive, am a bit weary of getting stuck?

siskiyoufisherman
02-13-2014, 07:13 AM
Nice King for sure.

bbullard128
02-13-2014, 08:16 AM
Nice report. How was the water clarity? Also, is the drive out to the launch dried out pretty good or still soft? I'd like to get out there but only have a 2
wheel drive, am a bit weary of getting stuck?

BigBass77, the water clarity was a little murky but not horrible. The drive out to the ramp wasn't too soft at all, it was fine. As for the launch ramp itself, it is actually like an asphalt ramp, but it is pretty steep. I brought my Tacoma 4x4 out there but I never needed to put it in 4wd.

BigBass77
02-13-2014, 08:34 AM
Right on, thanks for the report. Taking the kayak out there today, see how it's goes

bbullard128
02-13-2014, 11:44 AM
Good luck man. Let us know how it goes!

OneTrueBob
02-14-2014, 08:21 PM
Glad you guys were able to get some time out. Folsom is actually a great lake to fish this time of year, recent drought not withstanding. Nice looking fish and I'm certain very tasty too.

IMHO, the kastmaster is an excellent go to lure for lake trout. Never leave home without several in the box.

Tight Lines

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

WLShafor
02-15-2014, 06:08 AM
Wow there's still fish and water there?

"Wisdom begins in wonder." —Socrates

bbullard128
02-15-2014, 10:11 AM
Wow there's still fish and water there?

Yeah, who would have thought? haha But yes, apparently there is just enough for fishing to be good!

WLShafor
02-15-2014, 09:04 PM
Its amazing how the water restrictions are being enforced now vs a year earlier! Who would have guessed that it would be spring/sumer for 10 months vs 6 months lol! Don't worry its a drought in Texas also. The rivers/creeks are very dry, sad as well but not as bad as the Sacramento County. Its heart breaking hearing the news from family/friends back in California on how low certain water sheds are. We can only hope for a good down pour this coming spring!

Ah, sinkholes sucking up corvette and now the sun taking Folsom Lake! Wow!!!!