PDA

View Full Version : Beardsley Reservoir 2/13

borntoscout
02-15-2014, 07:26 AM
As we descended the final switch back and rolled onto the dam, Kevin remarked he could see the outlet structure and the water surface was covered with rise rings. Concentrated fish we thought; and so it proved to be. Last year I found fast action trolling with 20% of the fish a brown averaging 15 inches. In two earlier trips this year, no browns were caught. This was a final try to find out what might catch one. Through 2012 DFW has planted browns along with rainbows because they are not subject to copepod infestation. These were likely domesticated strain fish more easily caught than wild browns. We tried various minnow plugs, Husky Jerks, Lucky Craft Pointers, and foot long stick plugs, Pyramid LCT spoons, dodger and crawler, you name it, except for the big sticks, every thing caught hold over bows but not a single brown. Between us, over 50 C&Red. Each and every time the rods would slump and throb rearward a delight.

RideNfish
02-15-2014, 10:39 AM
Sorry about no browns but a great bit of fun none the less. Way to go you two. I thought about banking it there on Sun due to your report but in my sedan I don't think it will be clear enough on Sun since Sat is supposed to snow up there.
Thanks for sharing!

clb101
02-15-2014, 11:03 AM
Borntofish; Sounds like a great day on one of my fav spots. Next time you go try a deep diving shad rap with a little lead core if you have it. From the pics it looks as though the ramp and day use area are open, did it look like any one was launching small boats? RNF; Hey lets get together and go when the weather clears, either bank it or my tub, if the launch is doable. cb

borntoscout
02-15-2014, 11:42 AM
How deep are you talking about, cib. I caught bows from the top down to 3 colors (at least, down 20 feet). I saw some large marks at forty feet (I know the marks get magnified on the ff with increasing depth) but could not not get a hit down 4 and 5 colors. We did see larger fish than we caught at the surface including one about 5 pounds that jumped clear of the water. The launch ramp remains closed. Even though the new ramp is longer it is still well short of the current water level. There was a small boat "hidden" Salt Springs style.

clb101
02-15-2014, 12:02 PM
Borntoscout; Just a couple colors this time of year, just as you were doing. A little somthing to get the lure a little lower. You may not need the lead core with the deep diving shad rap. All i know is last spring i was trolling excel shad with 2 or 3 colors and was catching browns and rainbows and when i changed to the shad rap was rewarded with my big fish of the day a 16 in. brown. Then it was late and i wished i had started with the rap. Its a bummer that they havent opened the ramp, i dont get it. I have ramped off the bank below the ramp more than on the ramp itself, so i dont know what is the holdup? Hope this helps. clb

borntoscout
02-15-2014, 12:31 PM
I trolled past the old beach launch site and it looked like a launch would be possible if the water rose another 4 feet or so. The thing is I am not sure access to the site has been maintained with all of the sand and rock that have been moved in construction of the new ramp.

BigUnInDaBoat
02-15-2014, 02:08 PM
Opened yesterday the 14th, but water is too low to launch

Sonora, CA -- The public can now enjoy the renovated Beardsley Reservoir Day Use area.Construction has been going on since April of last year (http://www.mymotherlode.com/news/local/2024309/Beardsley-Reservoir-Getting-Upgraded.html). Stanislaus National Forest Officials report crews are in the final stage of making improvements associated with a hydro re-licensing which only happens once every 40 years."The day use area has remained closed while we negotiated the last of the punch list with the contractor and Tri-dam, the licensee," said Molly Fuller, SNF District Ranger. "I needed assurances from Tri-dam on the last of the work that would be completed before we opened. We now have that assurance, and are opening the gate for public access."The day use area opened Friday. Other sites, including a new and a renovated campground will be opened on May 17th. One other area that has received a facelift is the boat launch, but it will not open until we get some rain.SNF Spokesperson Rebecca Garcia says, "It's (boat ramp) been extended 250 feet, but because of the drought, the water level is far below the ramp, and at the end there is about an eight foot drop so we've blocked it off."Garcia explains the water would need to rise another 12 to 15 feet before the ramp could be opened. In addition, there may be more closures this spring for asphalt pouring and completion of the road, trail and parking surfaces.The project is the final stage of a 7.8 million dollar Federal Energy Regulatory Commission re-licensing.

Mule Skinner
02-16-2014, 02:48 PM
[QUOTE=BigUnInDaBoat;991711]Opened yesterday the 14th, but water is too low to launch

Sonora, CA -- The public can now enjoy the renovated Beardsley Reservoir Day Use area.Construction has been going on since April of last year (http://www.mymotherlode.com/news/local/2024309/Beardsley-Reservoir-Getting-Upgraded.html). Stanislaus National Forest Officials report crews are in the final stage of making improvements associated with a hydro re-licensing which only happens once every 40 years."The day use area has remained closed while we negotiated the last of the punch list with the contractor and Tri-dam, the licensee," said Molly Fuller, SNF District Ranger. "I needed assurances from Tri-dam on the last of the work that would be completed before we opened. We now have that assurance, and are opening the gate for public access."The day use area opened Friday. Other sites, including a new and a renovated campground will be opened on May 17th. One other area that has received a facelift is the boat launch, but it will not open until we get some rain.SNF Spokesperson Rebecca Garcia says, "It's (boat ramp) been extended 250 feet, but because of the drought, the water level is far below the ramp, and at the end there is about an eight foot drop so we've blocked it off."Garcia explains the water would need to rise another 12 to 15 feet before the ramp could be opened. In addition, there may be more closures this spring for asphalt pouring and completion of the road, trail and parking surfaces.The project is the final stage of a 7.8 million dollar Federal Energy Regulatory Commission re-licensing.[/QUO

BS. I never had a problem launching my aluminum boat year round. Now I'm limited to the new better ramp rules?
Please let us know when we can launch. Off the sand is fine. Question is when can we get to it.

insearchoffish
02-16-2014, 08:36 PM
Here is a slideshow from my perspective, what a fun day!!!!!!!!! Nothing of size to brag about but the non-stop action was more than enough to keep me content. Thanks for bringing me. Cant wait until the next adventure. I have a feeling it will be close to home:bananacheese: And no I do not spell well LOL
http://youtu.be/j7Y4JkYIt8M