PDA

View Full Version : where does Melones stopn on the Stansilaus

stefanoflo
02-15-2014, 10:25 AM
anyone ever Kayaking in Melones toward the Inlet from the Stanislaus/ Camp nine area
My question is where does the lake end and the Limits become 2 instead of 5
at the Dozier Line ??and if so wheres that at . I see it on Google maps anyone ever been down that road

:hypnodisk:

RideNfish
02-15-2014, 10:53 AM
Not sure what the Dozier line is but the Stanislaus is closed right now up there. How the regs read is there is no "line" or landmark to separate river from lake. The river ends when it reaches lake level. CURRENT has NOTHING to do with the definition of the regs.

Here is EXACTLY what DFW states as the definition;
"The mouth of the stream at the existing level of the lake surface. Stream regulations apply to parts of the streams in the expoosed beds of partially empty lakes."

This is so as lakes go low the "Stream" extends to the lake surface so it is constantly moving. There is no fixed line for the stream vs lake regulations.

Is this what you were asking?

stefanoflo
02-15-2014, 07:53 PM
Not sure what the Dozier line is but the Stanislaus is closed right now up there. How the regs read is there is no "line" or landmark to separate river from lake. The river ends when it reaches lake level. CURRENT has NOTHING to do with the definition of the regs.

Here is EXACTLY what DFW states as the definition;
"The mouth of the stream at the existing level of the lake surface. Stream regulations apply to parts of the streams in the expoosed beds of partially empty lakes."

This is so as lakes go low the "Stream" extends to the lake surface so it is constantly moving. There is no fixed line for the stream vs lake regulations.

Is this what you were asking?

Pretty much . thought it be nice to kayak to that area . maybe some good fishing going on without giving ticket revenue to the DFGW
Thanks

Steve079
02-15-2014, 10:33 PM
I think it might be too low right now. I was up in Twain Harte along the South Fork, and there was very little water flowing down. But, I'm not a kayak guy.

Sonoramike
02-15-2014, 10:34 PM
Is there a place to launch a yak up there? I haven't seen one.

stefanoflo
02-16-2014, 11:09 AM
I know of a free area on Melones off 49 when you go Through Angels camp and go over Melones there is a left turn on Melones court that's has a spot to park and drop off a kayak . I guess at one time it was a ramp of sorts
went there last years fishing . Nice area . has a view of the bridge that crosses over Melones
not bad fishing either . caught 2 nice rainbows last year on kastmasters. Blue and silver

Steve079
02-16-2014, 05:21 PM
That spot you speak of, is at the Melones visitor center, just past the Stevenot Bridge, on the Tuolumne county side. As far as launching down at Camp Nine, its been so long since I've been down there, I can't say. The river used to be just off the road, as the river rafters used to launch there back when.
Maybe a little Recon drive is in order. Quite an interesting trip down, LOL. Not as bad as Wards Ferry Road, but a close second, with Old Priest Grade coming in third

Sonoramike
02-16-2014, 05:31 PM
I know of a free area on Melones off 49 when you go Through Angels camp and go over Melones there is a left turn on Melones court that's has a spot to park and drop off a kayak . I guess at one time it was a ramp of sorts
went there last years fishing . Nice area . has a view of the bridge that crosses over Melones
not bad fishing either . caught 2 nice rainbows last year on kastmasters. Blue and silver

That would be one hell of a paddle.
If you park there don't go to far from your vehicle. Lots of low life's down there. Had my fuel filler neck cut and my gas siphoned last year down there. I won't go back.

stefanoflo
02-16-2014, 08:29 PM
I`m always one to look for a free spot to park and fish . Parrott ferry looks good if you can get down the sides.Like to get next to the river close as possible . I know driving on Camp Nine road . I always wonders what the river looked after you crossed the avery ranch Bridge. I`m sure a hike downriver is instored when the time comes .Im sure with the low flow . what use to be a part of melones at a high points when full now a Longer extension of the Stanislaus river

RideNfish
02-17-2014, 10:14 AM
You or maybe I should say I can't paddle that from the 49 bridge. That is about 11 miles to the current lake level to reach the river and more than that as the lake fills up. There is a place off Parrots (old road) that you can walk down to the water and maybe cart a yak down but still to far to paddle to the river.

That Camp Nine road is not even close to the Wards Ferry drive. CN is much better. haha.