PDA

View Full Version : Basque Tongue Stew

tc
04-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Per request, hear's a recipe for Basque Tongue Stew. *As a side note, the Tongue, prepared as per the recipe except for the diced tomato's makes an excellent cold sandwich, very much like cold roast Beef. *Very tasty.

Tom

Basque Tongue Stew (Mihia Eskualdun Zaltzan)

Ingredients:

(1) 3-4 pound Beef Tongue
(1) Medium Spanish Onion, diced
(1) Cup Carrots, chopped
(1) Cup Celery, diced
(1) Cup Green Bell Pepper, diced
(1) Cup Italian Parsley, chopped fine
(1) 28 oz. can diced Tomato’s
(6) Cloves Garlic, sliced into slivers
(2) Tablespoons Tomato Paste
(2) Bay Leaves
(1) Black Peppercorns
(1) Teaspoon Dried Thyme
(1) Teaspoon Dried Oregano

Preparation:

Place slivers of Garlic throughout Beef Tongue, Place Tongue, Onion, Carrots, Bell Pepper, Parsley and Spices in a large Pot with just enough Water to cover. *Simmer, covered for 2-3 hours. *Remove Tongue, cool, peel and slice into ¼” thick slices across the grain. *Add the diced Tomato’s to the pot with the Tongue slices, simmer uncovered for an additional 1-2 hours, until thickened. *Serve.

metalmouth
04-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Yup, my grandparents alway had tongue sandwiches when they butchered a beef. ;D It's been years since I've seen it on the plate. :)

SuperDave
04-07-2009, 11:52 AM
I grew up with it and thought about trying it again as an adult but somebody went and made it dog gone expensive. The image of the taste buds waving in the pot of boiling water will be permanaently etched in my mind. ;D

Captain Compassion
04-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Thanks again TC. One of my cold weather favorites. For lunch at the JT Bar in Gardnerville you can get all you can get all you can eat Tongue Stew on swlwcted days. With fresh bread and butter and a couple of glasses of the red you can fill up for a couple of days. [smiley=chowtime.gif]

CC

tc
04-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Isn't everything better with a couple glasses of the Red.

Tom

metalmouth
04-07-2009, 01:57 PM
OK Tom, now that we have these wonderful dishes how about some Basque sides to go with them?

Toxic_Waste
04-07-2009, 02:55 PM
I grew up with tongue sandwiches too, and yeah, for some reason it has become an expensive meat!

In my family, beef tongue was prepared by simmering it until it was tender, then peeling off the tough skin. the meat would get sliced and mixed with wine vinegar and olive oil, fresh chopped parsley and fresh minced or crushed garlic, and salt and pepper. We'd marinate that in the refrigerator until it had absorbed flavor, then serve it on slices of crusty French or Italian bread. That does it -- next time I find some at the store (we no longer raise cattle) I am going to buy some. This recipe for tongue stew sounds good, too. Thanks for sharing.

¿¿¿
04-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Unless you know the butcher, I'd look for the tongue in 'ethnic' markets as they tend to have better turnover.

My mother-inlaw makes tongue smothered in a mushroom cream sauce. Oh yeah. Haven't had it in a while though.

tc
04-07-2009, 03:19 PM
OK Tom, now that we have these wonderful dishes how about some Basque sides to go with them?

Sides Eh, Well I think I started this out with Louis's Bean recipe, other than that, around hear, you usually get Soup, Salad, Garlic Fries, and a Veggie. I'll work on it.

Tom

CJC
04-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Unless you know the butcher, I'd look for the tongue in 'ethnic' markets as they tend to have better turnover.

You got to move to the bay area then. All the supermarkets have them on display. ;)

Trouble is they are carriers of Mad Cow decease (so I have heard) because some nerves that go into the tongue and I have avoided making it for a while. I guess there hasn't been a case of that in a while.... :-/ ;D ;D ;D

Thanks again TC. That is very similar to what I make. I add some peruvian botija olives and peas to that. 8-) ;)

But I thought the basque recipe would be with chorizos added???

tc
04-07-2009, 06:24 PM

You got to move to the bay area then. All the supermarkets have them on display. *;)

Trouble is they are carriers of Mad Cow decease (so I have heard) because some nerves that go into the tongue and I have avoided making it for a while. I guess there hasn't been a case of that in a while.... :-/ ;D ;D ;D

Thanks again TC. That is very similar to what I make. I add some peruvian botija olives and peas to that. *8-) ;)

But I thought the basque recipe would be with chorizos added???

We don't put Chorizo in everything. I don't believe I've ever had it with Ice Cream.
:o :o :o :o

Tom

CJC
04-07-2009, 06:50 PM
We don't put Chorizo in everything.

SuperDave mentioned it on the other thread.

I'm Basque and although I love Chorizo and tongue stew

¿¿¿
04-08-2009, 12:33 PM
JT, I've been a Bay Area native for 27 years! *Tongue is not a good enough reason to get me to move back. *;)

They have tongue available at my local supermarket, but I'm pretty sure most of the Yuppies and DINK's pullin' up in their BMW's aren't serving up tongue tonight. *No offense to any Sniffer BMW owners... *:D

It's the turnover, not the availability I'm concerned about! * :)

Where are the photo's TC? *You're killin' us here!

tc
04-08-2009, 12:45 PM
JT, I've been a Bay Area native for 27 years! *Tongue is not a good enough reason to get me to move back. *;)

They have tongue available at my local supermarket, but I'm pretty sure most of the Yuppies and DINK's pullin' up in their BMW's aren't serving up tongue tonight. *No offense to any Sniffer BMW owners... *:D

It's the turnover, not the availability I'm concerned about! * :)

Where are the photo's TC? *You're killin' us here!

I'll work on some Photo's, I guess I need to cook a huge Dinner, and have lot's of friends over. I believe MM's planning something ala Basque, maybe he can start us out with some.

Tom

CJC
04-08-2009, 01:02 PM
JT, I've been a Bay Area native for 27 years! *Tongue is not a good enough reason to get me to move back. *;)In that case I am taking orders then. Ship them to you in dry ice? :D ;D ;D ;D

metalmouth
04-08-2009, 01:40 PM
I'm still in the planning stages. I can't hold an outside shindig until it stops snowing. *[smiley=cold.gif] *;D

We probably won't butcher the hog until late summer or fall. He's a bit busy eating potato processing waste right now! *:)

¿¿¿
04-08-2009, 03:45 PM
JT, I've been a Bay Area native for 27 years! *Tongue is not a good enough reason to get me to move back. *;)In that case I am taking orders then. Ship them to you in dry ice? *:D ;D ;D ;D

The good (or is it bad?) thing is that I'm within a relatively short driving distance to some mom/pop slaughter er, butcher shops. Fresh tongue when I want!

There are some things I miss from 'the city' though. Specifically, my cup of capuccino and amaretti cookies from Stella Pastry. They've also got a 'sacripantina' that is THE BOMB. I'm glad I can drive back when I 'need' to! :D ;) :D

dimpala95
05-08-2009, 12:44 AM
I remember as a kid going with my parents to a meat distribution center in Richmond. We would buy tongue and flank steak by the case. In those days they were probably the cheapest part of the cow. With the influx of asians and hispanics, those parts have sored in price.

¿¿¿
05-08-2009, 08:13 AM
I remember as a kid going with my parents to a meat distribution center in Richmond. We would buy tongue and flank steak by the case. In those days they were probably the cheapest part of the cow. With the influx of asians and hispanics, those parts have sored in price.

I remember when short ribs were around a buck a pound. I think meat prices have gone up overall, no matter the cut. Is there any cut of meat that isn't expensive nowadays? ::)

The gastronomy of America is much more international than before so even in areas that aren't very multicultural.

And just for the record, just about every culture that eats cow eats the ENTIRE cow. It's just that some dishes have gone 'out of style'. The French do some great tongue - no pun intended! :P :D ;D

CJC
05-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Is there any cut of meat that isn't expensive nowadays? *::)
Beef harts. About $1.25 a lb.

metalmouth
05-09-2009, 02:45 AM
Is there any cut of meat that isn't expensive nowadays? *::)
Beef harts. About $1.25 a lb.

Now your talking. I love the heart out of almost any animal. I always put the turkey heart right at the back of the bird so that I can find it when I'm checking for doneness! My buddies always load me up with Elk and Venison hearts after the season. [smiley=chowtime.gif]

CJC
05-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Now your talking. I love the heart out of almost any animal. I always put the turkey heart right at the back of the bird so that I can find it when I'm checking for doneness! My buddies always load me up with Elk and Venison hearts after the season. *[smiley=chowtime.gif]Have you tried this one yet?
Anticuchos (http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1156634928/14)

Asians favor pork tongues. Beef is European and only cultures with European influence like Vietnam or Philippino favor them. So beef tongue's price was driven up by the European/Latino cultures.

metalmouth
05-09-2009, 02:07 PM
I have. I just happen to have a full bottle of achiote seeds from a guy that owned a Peruvian Grill next to a club we used to play at. His "skewered beef" was awesome!

okie
05-09-2009, 02:23 PM
mm when you butcher a hog do you cure it the old way? pack the meat in salt and store it in the barn? when i was little my dad did that, and that was good eatin, we called it salt meat, it had a good flavor but was really salty, but with grandmas biscuits and gravy, fried potatos, and fried eggs, that was a breakfast. last time i had that was in 66 when i visited an uncle in arkansas. unfortunately i cant eat like that any more.

metalmouth
05-09-2009, 02:27 PM
A buddy of mine owns a meat packing company. He comes over and slaughters the piggy and then puts the packages in the locker. I did his front desk and some cabinets in his office for trade.

CJC
05-09-2009, 02:33 PM
I buys hard to find condiments in ebay

metalmouth
05-09-2009, 02:39 PM
I buys hard to find condiments in ebay
Yeah, that's where I get things like Lime Pepper for my Roasted Lime Chicken Quarters. *;D

CJC
05-09-2009, 02:55 PM
pack the meat in salt and store it in the barn? when i was little my dad did that, and that was good eatin, we called it salt meat, it had a good flavor but was really salty,
My mom did that with chicken. Cooked with steamed rice it gave the rice a great flavor.

metalmouth
05-09-2009, 02:59 PM
pack the meat in salt and store it in the barn? when i was little my dad did that, and that was good eatin, we called it salt meat, it had a good flavor but was really salty,
My mom did that with chicken. Cooked with steamed rice it gave the rice a great flavor.

Yeah Salt Pork is a tradition from areas with little ice for refrigeration.

troutfan
05-10-2009, 07:50 AM
We don't put Chorizo in everything.

SuperDave mentioned it on the other thread.

I'm Basque and although I love Chorizo and tongue stew

I didn't say I love them together! ::) *This is an example of taking a partial statement out of context. My favorite tounge stew comes from the Carson Valley Country Club. * ;)