PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Lake Sonoma, need some tips

glyang
02-17-2014, 09:01 PM
I'm heading up to Lake Sonoma this week and am hoping to target some of the landlocked steelhead. Does anyone have any advice on how to target these guys? I was going to use a Panther Martins, Kastmasters and Mepps as lures and a sliding sinker with an inflated night crawlers or power eggs on a size 6 Owner Point cutting point hook while using bait. Am I off the mark here or might this work? Any tips on how best to go after the stealhed would be greatly appreciated. Another question I have, are there any other lakes besides Lake Sonoma that have native trout(non planted) in them? Thanks in advance

redneckpunk
02-17-2014, 09:20 PM
If he doesn't chime in on this one, I would suggest sending a PM to BlueBoat asking your questions. I would suggest providing him with as much info as possible up front so he knows how best to answer. For example, where on the lake youre looking to go, boat or bank, which day, tackle you have or intend to use, etc.. He spends a great deal of time on this lake and is a wealth of knowledge.

~RNP

LURKER916
02-18-2014, 12:01 AM
Or maybe SGS1? Isn't he a guide there? Hey where did he go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redneckpunk
02-18-2014, 08:03 AM
Or maybe SGS1? Isn't he a guide there? Hey where did he go?

Sgs1 is now Blueboat. He is not guiding this year although he did on Sonoma.

~RNP

Troutbead
02-18-2014, 08:33 AM
Those Sonoma stealhead trouts are very special trout . There ansestirs used to be able to make the journey to the sea. Now the damn blocks them off and they can't make the trip. They can be overfished very easily and be gone forever so I don't think you will be much help with how to catch them. They are the holy grail hear in California . There survival s dependent on people not fishing them. A guide would be foolish giving advice if they want to continue making money fishing these trouts. And at least they guides handle these fish properly which helps these fish survive upon being caught. The normal joe angler not so much.

Line Stretcher
02-18-2014, 03:00 PM
That's all very true. I was just up there. The crappie have taken over the upper dry Creek arm and are guarding their young. The small is are in close to the banks and the lmb are in 40 ft. The steelhead are in the warmer creeks and will stay there until the get up to 60 degs and then they'll start moving out and into deeper cooler water. The creeks start at the 5 mph bouys and are currently closed to steelhead fishing.

heatsource
02-18-2014, 04:50 PM
BlueBoat has been Very generous and specific with his info about Sonoma!! (thanks Blue)

just read back thru his old posts :)

glyang
02-18-2014, 09:30 PM
Although I did not state it in my original post I am HUGE into species preservation, I even treat hardy, plentiful fish like largemouth bass with total care when handling them and this goes double when I handle any kind of native trout. When I fish for trout in streams I use a barbless baitholder hook with earthworms, I was going to try bigger hooks with night crawlers but again was going to circle them first. All lures I use are either with a single hook or modified so there is a single barbless hook. Let me be clear in that last thing I want to do is harm the population, I really just want to get a close up look at these beauties. I am assuming Lake Sonoma allows float tubes which for those of you in the know realize is optimum in minimizing any harm done to the fish. If folks want to get on anyone's case it should be the guide mentioned in other posts, seems there are a few pictures of him with what are clearly dead steelhead he has taken from the lake and he seems to make a habit of it. And to Troutbead I am anything but "Joe Normal Angler, can YOU say that you have ruined several pairs of shoes rushing to get down to the water after hooking a fish so that you can be sure your hands are wet when you handle them and so that you can release them without bringing them up on the bank?? What do they say about what one does when they assume?

redneckpunk
02-18-2014, 09:42 PM
Although I did not state it in my original post I am HUGE into species preservation, I even treat hardy, plentiful fish like largemouth bass with total care when handling them and this goes double when I handle any kind of native trout. When I fish for trout in streams I use a barbless baitholder hook with earthworms, I was going to try bigger hooks with night crawlers but again was going to circle them first. All lures I use are either with a single hook or modified so there is a single barbless hook. Let me be clear in that last thing I want to do is harm the population, I really just want to get a close up look at these beauties. I am assuming Lake Sonoma allows float tubes which for those of you in the know realize is optimum in minimizing any harm done to the fish. If folks want to get on anyone's case it should be the guide mentioned in other posts, seems there are a few pictures of him with what are clearly dead steelhead he has taken from the lake and he seems to make a habit of it. And to Troutbead I am anything but "Joe Normal Angler, can YOU say that you have ruined several pairs of shoes rushing to get down to the water after hooking a fish so that you can be sure your hands are wet when you handle them and so that you can release them without bringing them up on the bank?? What do they say about what one does when they assume?

Hold your horses there "newbie". Nobody was getting on anyone's case or assuming anything. They were simply trying to "educate" you about the fish in the lake that you inquired about. A far as passing judgement on a certain guide, I dont know what pictures you are referring to or which guide, but if the fish were taken legally then it's that persons right. In your own words regarding "assuming" you dont know this individual and shouldnt

~RNP

glyang
02-18-2014, 11:07 PM
R N P, the part of my response you are addressing was aimed at Troutbead who really did nothing at all to "educate" me or give me any useful information on the lake. Basically all he did was talk down to me like I'm the guy who shows up at the inner city lake ever morning after it has been stocked with my power bait and treble hooks. He basically implied that I'm not worthy to fish Lake Sonoma and I'm not deserving of any fishing tips because I don't know the secret handshake around here. I am agreement with you on the legal limit thing too, again I was making the point not to jump down someone's throat implying things before you know what they are about. BTW I am going to respectfully point out that it is somewhat comical for you to call me a "newbie" Take a look at your start date here and then look at mine. What does that make you then??

redneckpunk
02-18-2014, 11:35 PM
R N P, the part of my response you are addressing was aimed at Troutbead who really did nothing at all to "educate" me or give me any useful information on the lake. Basically all he did was talk down to me like I'm the guy who shows up at the inner city lake ever morning after it has been stocked with my power bait and treble hooks. He basically implied that I'm not worthy to fish Lake Sonoma and I'm not deserving of any fishing tips because I don't know the secret handshake around here. I am agreement with you on the legal limit thing too, again I was making the point not to jump down someone's throat implying things before you know what they are about. BTW I am going to respectfully point out that it is somewhat comical for you to call me a "newbie" Take a look at your start date here and then look at mine. What does that make you then??

I guess you dont see the banner on the sig if you have to ask "what it makes me". The newbie is in reference to your post count as well as the attitude you took in your post. Troutbead was in no way talking down but merely pointing out the significance that many anglers hold in those fish, as well as pointing out that as such many are unwilling to give advise. Hence his statement "There survival s dependent on people not fishing them. A guide would be foolish giving advice if they want to continue making money fishing these trouts.". As for not knowing the "secret handshake", your attitude in attacking people who are offering advise shows that maybe you dont know it.

~RNP

QueenAnnesRevenge
02-19-2014, 07:42 AM
Besides, if blue boat says they're in the creeks which are closed to fishing, then its probably not worth the trip. Read his reports, they are an encyclopedia on catching all fish that swim in lake Sonoma. As well as eagle lake trout. I mean, detailed on lures that worked, what tried, how to fish riggers, lead core etc. Give it a shot and welcome to the fish sniffer

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk

WLShafor
02-19-2014, 08:29 AM
Troll troll troll

"Wisdom begins in wonder." —Socrates

monkey916
02-19-2014, 09:03 AM
glyang... as mentioned by the other folks on here look up anything posted by blue boat... he's the man on that lake... look at the trout board to find his post's... and the members only lake reports... good luck... ps. your a newb... sometimes a little more contribution might get you some better responses... just saying...

glyang
02-19-2014, 10:19 AM
To those of you who have given me some good tips thank you and it is much appreciated. To RNP I DID read your stats and knew you were going to play the "I've posted thousands of times so I'm the all wise wizard" card. A "newbie" would be a rookie on a football team or someone 6 weeks new to a job. You calling me a newbie would be akin to calling a 16 year NFL veteran a newbie just because he is a second stringer and does not have the same gaudy stats as a starter. Just because I've chosen to use The Fishsniffer more for fishing reports and to learn from others rather than post it does not make me any less of an experienced member. Your use of the word newbie is semantically incorrect. As far as it relates to this board I thought we were all just fellow anglers sharing tips, I did not realize there were different levels or rank and status like Dungeons and Dragons. As far as Lake Sonoma goes I'll probably just ask a ranger or the staff where the good spots are when I get there as often works with just about any lake.