PDA

View Full Version : My Favorite Stir Fry Recipe

tc
05-01-2009, 07:11 AM
This is probably my all time favorite stir-fry recipe, I also like to add a little of my dried, ground habanero pepper on top when I serve this.

Tom

Pad Thai – Thai-Style Stir-Fried Noodles
Ingredients

• 1/2 lb. dried thin gkuay dtiow or rice noodles (also known as ban pho to the Vietnamese)
• 3 Tbs. fish sauce (nahm bplah), to taste
• 3 or more Tbs. tamarind juice the thickness of fruit concentrate, to taste
• 2 Tbs. palm or coconut sugar, to taste
• 4 Tbs. peanut oil
• 1/3 lb. fresh shrimp, shelled, deveined and butterflied
• 1/3 lb. chicken breast or thigh, pounded and cut into very thin strips
• 3/4 cup firm pressed tofu, cut into thin strips about an inch long, half an inch wide and a quarter inch thick
• 4-5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 3 shallots, thinly sliced (or substitute with half a medium onion)
• 1/4 cup small dried shrimp
• 2-3 tsp. ground dried red chilies, to desired hotness
• 3 eggs
• 3 cups fresh bean sprouts
• 1 cup garlic chives, cut into 1 1/2-inch-long segments (optional)
Garnish
• 2/3 cup chopped unsalted roasted peanuts
• 1 lime, cut into small wedges
• A few short cilantro sprigs
• 4 green onions - trim off root tip and half of green leaves and place in a glass with white end in cold water to crisp (optional)
Soak the dried rice noodles in cool or lukewarm tap water for 40 minutes to one hour, or until the noodles are limp but still firm to the touch. While the noodles are soaking, mix the fish sauce with the tamarind juice and palm sugar; stir well to melt the sugar. Taste and adjust flavors to the desired combination of salty, sour and sweet. Prepare the remaining ingredients as instructed.
When the noodles have softened, drain and set aside. Heat a wok over high heat until it is smoking hot. (Note: If your wok is small, do the stir-frying in two batches. The recipe may also be halved to serve two.) Add 2 teaspoons of oil and quickly stir-fry the shrimp until they turn pink and are almost cooked through. Salt lightly with a sprinkling of fish sauce and remove them from the wok.
Swirl in the remaining oil, save for 1 teaspoon, to coat the wok surface and wait 20 to 30 seconds for it to heat. Add the tofu and chicken, frying 1 to 2 minutes, or until the pieces turn golden. Add garlic and stir-fry with the tofu for 15 to 20 seconds. Follow with the sliced shallots and cook another 15 seconds. Then add the dried shrimp, and ground dried chillies. Stir and heat through a few seconds.
Add the noodles and toss well with the ingredients in the wok. Stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes and when most of the noodles has changed texture and softened, push the mass up along one side of the wok. Add the teaspoon of oil to the cleared area, crack the eggs onto it and scramble lightly. When the eggs have set, cut into small chunks with the spatula and toss them in with the noodles.
Add the sweet-and-sour seasoning mixture. Stir well to evenly coat noodles. If the noodles are still too firm to your liking, sprinkle 1 to 2 tablespoons of water over them to help cook. Taste and adjust flavors as needed to your liking by adding more fish sauce or tamarind juice; if the noodles are not sweet enough, sprinkle in a small amount of granulated sugar.
When the noodles are cooked to your liking, toss in 2 of the 3 cups of bean sprouts and the garlic chives (if using). Sprinkle with half the chopped peanuts and return the shrimp to the wok. Stir and when the vegetables are partially wilted, transfer to a serving platter, or dish onto individual serving-size plates, and garnish with the remaining bean sprouts and chopped peanuts, the lime wedges, cilantro and green onions.
Squeeze lime juice over each portion before eating.

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/2258/padthai.jpg (http://img148.imageshack.us/my.php?image=padthai.jpg)

¿¿¿
05-01-2009, 07:57 AM
Very nice recipe! *We love pad thai, and I will try this. *Will have to make a stop at the asian market for some of the ingredients I don't normally stock. Do you have a recipe for drunken noodles? That's been my go-to when we 'go-to' for Thai lately. Yum.

You know, there's something missing here. *Can't quite put my finger on it. *Hmmm... could it be a PHOTO? *;)

metalmouth
05-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Great recipe! I'll give it a go. It's tough to get asian ingredients in Idaho but I'll wing it! ;D

tc
05-01-2009, 10:06 AM
Drunken Noodles sounds good, where's the recipe?

Tom

tc
05-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Great recipe! I'll give it a go. It's tough to get asian ingredients in Idaho but I'll wing it! *;D

Don, about the only thing that may be hard to find is the tamarind paste, you can use some coconut milk if you can't find the coconut sugar, or just a little plain sugar, and most grocery stores have fish sauce in the oriental section as well as the rice noodles. The beauty of this, is you can use almost anything you have, just chicken, just shrimp, just tofu for the vegetarians, or all of it, I've also added pork tenderloins pounded flat and slices real finely, and even chorizo, which was also very tasty.

Tom

metalmouth
05-01-2009, 10:34 AM
I've got coconut milk and rice noodles in the pantry. There is alway shrimp and chicken breasts in the freezer. I'll be out looking for the tamarind and dried shrimp this weekend. I know our Albertsons has the tofu so I'm going to get close! *;D

tc
05-01-2009, 11:25 AM
You can almost always fing the dried shrimp in the Mexican Food Department. Go easy on them, there very potent>

Tom

metalmouth
05-01-2009, 11:51 AM
You can almost always fing the dried shrimp in the Mexican Food Department. *Go easy on them, there very potent>

Tom
Gotcha, fishsauce and dried shrimp . . . potent! :o ::) :P 8-)

¿¿¿
05-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Drunken Noodles sounds good, where's the recipe?

Tom

I've never made it, but found a recipe for it that looks good...
INGREDIENTS

2 14-ounce packages 1/4-inch-wide flat rice noodles*

1/4 cup vegetable oil
12 garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh Thai chiles*
1 1/2 pounds ground chicken
1/4 cup fish sauce (nam pla or nuoc nam)*
1/4 cup black soy sauce*
1/4 cup Golden Mountain sauce* or light soy sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
4 large plum tomatoes, each cut into 6 wedges
4 Anaheim chiles or Italian frying peppers, or 2 green bell peppers (about 12 ounces total), cut into strips
1/2 cup fresh Thai basil leaves* or regular basil leaves

PREPARATION

Cook noodles in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring frequently. Drain.

Meanwhile, heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic and Thai chiles; sauté 30 seconds. Add chicken and next 4 ingredients and sauté until chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Add noodles, tomatoes, and Anaheim chiles; toss to coat. Transfer to large platter, sprinkle with basil leaves, and serve.

*Available in the Asian foods section or produce section of some supermarkets, and at Southeast Asian and some Asian markets.

EDIT: Found this other site that had a recipe which looked great. The site is cool too, so I'll post the link...
http://www.realthairecipes.com/recipes/drunken-noodles/

robertadkins68
11-09-2012, 05:50 PM
This is definitely a keeper! I have also my version of Thai-Style Stir Fry. You may try it if you want. Ingredients: Chile Vinegar: 1/3 cup white vinegar 1 Serrano chile, stemmed and sliced into thin rings Stir Fry: 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut against grain into 1/4 inch thick slices 1 tsp. baking soda 8 oz. (1/4" wide) rice noodles (ATK recommends A taste of Thai Rice Noodles, straight cut) 1/4 c. vegetable oil 1/4 c. oyster sauce 1 Tbsp plus 2 tsp soy sauce 2 Tbsp packed dark brown sugar 1 Tbsp white vinegar 1 tsp molasses 1 tsp fish sauce 3 garlic cloves, sliced thin 3 large eggs, lightly beaten 10 ounces broccoli or broccolini, florets cut into 1" pieces Directions: 1. For the chile vinegar: Combine vinegar and Serrano in bowl. Let stand at room temperature for at least 15 minutes. 2. Combine chicken with 2 tablespoons water and the baking soda in a bowl. Let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. Rinse chicken in cold water and drain well. 3. Bring 6 cups of water to a boil. Place noodles in a large bowl. Pour boiling water over noodles. Stir, then soak until noodles are almost tender, about 8 minutes, stirring once halfway through. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain well and toss with 2 teaspoons oil. 4. Whisk together oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, molasses, and fish sauce in a bowl. 5. Heat 2 teaspoons oil and the garlic in a 12" skillet over high heat, stirring occasionally, until garlic is deep golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Add chicken and 2 tablespoons of the sauce, toss to coat, and spread chicken into an even layer. Cook, without stirring, until chicken begins to brown, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Using tongs, flip the chicken and cook, without stirring, until second side begins to brown, another 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Push chicken to 1 side of skillet, add 2 teaspoons oil and the eggs to the cleared part of the skillet. Using a rubber spatula, stir the eggs gently and cook until set but still wet. Stir eggs into chicken and continue to cook, breaking up large pieces of eggs until eggs are fully cooked, 30 to 60 seconds. Transfer chicken mixture to a bowl. 6. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in the now-empty skillet until smoking. Add broccoli and 2 tablespoons sauce, toss to coat. Cover skillet and cook for 2 minutes, stirring once halfway through cooking. Remove lid and continue to cook until it is crisp and very brown in spots, 2 to 3 minutes, stirring once halfway through cooking. Add broccoli to the chicken bowl. 7. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in now-empty skillet until smoking. Add half of noodles and 2 tablespoons sauce and toss to coat. Cook until noodles are starting to brown in spots, about 2 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking. Transfer noodles to bowl with chicken mixture. Repeat with remaining 2 teaspoons oil, noodles, and sauce. When second batch of noodles is cooked, add contents of bowl back to skills and toss to combine. Cook, without stirring, until everything is warmed through, 1 to 1/2 minutes. Serve immediately, passing the chile vinegar separately.

CRABBY
11-10-2012, 04:41 AM
Hello Robert,interesting first post.The link you provided with more recipes seems fine to me,I'll let our more knowledgeable food experts weigh in on this....Thanks Don