PDA

View Full Version : Folsom Lake Trout

Jay R
02-18-2014, 02:10 PM
Hello all,
With all the drought doom and gloom and fishing closures I wanted to give all you trout anglers some good news. Through this week CDFWís American River Hatchery will be stocking Folsom Lake with several thousand pounds of catchable size Eagle Lake Trout (ELTís), and this week will also be the kickoff of our new program to attempt to bolster the cold water fishery over the long term with the planting of over 40,000 sub-catchable ELTís. If you have ever fished Eagle Lake then you know the ELTís are a large growing rainbow trout and they are known to switch to a piscivorous, or fish based, diet early on in life. This high protein fish based diet not only facilitates their large growth, but also makes them more likely to go after lures and other trolled offerings than some other rainbow trout strains. While the catchable fish are ready to be caught and taken home to the dinner table now, the subs are running around 4 to 8 inches and are being put in with the hope that they will find the schools of pond smelt and be all grown up and ready to put up a good fight sometime in the fall and into the future.

As there are going to be so many fish out there and Folsom is very low, the fish will be concentrated and the catch rates on these subs will likely be fairly high early on especially around the ramp. As always, please take care when handling and releasing these fish for the future.

We will again be sending some staff out to perform creel surveys throughout the year to check on the status of the fishery, particularly these sub-catchables, so please continue to help us help you by participating in the surveys and keeping mental notes on approximate sizes and fish condition. All the sub-catchable fish from this plant are marked with a right pelvic fin clip so please take note of any missing fins if you catch and release a trout.
If you have any questions you can reply to the thread, contact me through a PM, or send me a direct e-mail.
Jay.rowan@wildlife.ca.gov
Good fishing!

fat fish
02-18-2014, 06:43 PM
This is awesome...I just started a new job in granite bay so summer evenings look promising.

wearegods1
02-19-2014, 10:16 PM
If possible, I would like to help with the creel counts as this is my home lake. I live only 10 mins away from ramp and spend a lot of time here. We jokingly call this lake "The Dead Sea" except for December, January, and February. I am a licensed guide and would like to help out anyway to get this fishery going. Sure would be nice to have a good lake to guide on close to home.
fishinjames.com
916-284-3089

Jay R
02-20-2014, 11:30 AM
If possible, I would like to help with the creel counts as this is my home lake. I live only 10 mins away from ramp and spend a lot of time here. We jokingly call this lake "The Dead Sea" except for December, January, and February. I am a licensed guide and would like to help out anyway to get this fishery going. Sure would be nice to have a good lake to guide on close to home.
fishinjames.com
916-284-3089

Thank you for the offer James.
Please contact me by e-mail and I'm sure we can work something out.
We really want to know how these ELT subs are going to work out, which is the reason for the fin clips. Any reporting we can get into the future on these clipped fish being caught (or not), growth rates, etc. is helpful in evaluating the project.

borntoscout
02-28-2014, 08:37 AM
Thanks Jay for sharing the strategy for managing the put and grow segment of Folsom's trout fishery with the fishing public. Knowing what is going on can only make fishing there more interesting and more fun. You graciously offered to entertain questions and I have a couple. Other state's fisheries officials (Utah and Idaho to name two) have published studies that suggest some of a trout strain’s instinctual survival abilities may be lost in the conversion to triploidy. Does CDFW have any first hand knowledge or opinions on this issue? Will there be triploid versions of other wild strains as well? Junction Kamloops? Good luck with the project and I hope the triploid ELT perform well in Folsom.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&ved=0CFcQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Futah.ptfs.com%2Fawweb%2Fawarchive %3Ftype%3Dfile%26item%3D21256&ei=ZHQSU7WbDNKBogS

https://collaboration.idfg.idaho.gov/FisheriesTechnicalReports/Relative%20Performance%20of%20Diploid%20and%20Trip loid%20Catchable%20Rainbow%20Stocked%20in%20Idaho% 20Lakes%20and%20Reservoirs.pdf (mhtml:{D4B30EF5-B0F2-4A4C-82B3-CCCD46BCACC9}mid://00000000/!x-usc:https://collaboration.idfg.idaho.gov/FisheriesTechnicalReports/Relative%20Performance%20of%20Diploid%20and%20Trip loid%20Catchable%20Rainbow%20Stocked%20in%20Idaho% 20Lakes%20and%20Reservoirs.pdf)

Jay R
03-03-2014, 09:53 AM
Thanks Jay for sharing the strategy for managing the put and grow segment of Folsom's trout fishery with the fishing public. Knowing what is going on can only make fishing there more interesting and more fun. You graciously offered to entertain questions and I have a couple. Other state's fisheries officials (Utah and Idaho to name two) have published studies that suggest some of a trout strainís instinctual survival abilities may be lost in the conversion to triploidy. Does CDFW have any first hand knowledge or opinions on this issue? Will there be triploid versions of other wild strains as well? Junction Kamloops? Good luck with the project and I hope the triploid ELT perform well in Folsom.

Redirect Notice (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&ved=0CFcQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Futah.ptfs.com%2Fawweb%2Fawarchive %3Ftype%3Dfile%26item%3D21256&ei=ZHQSU7WbDNKBogS)

https://collaboration.idfg.idaho.gov/FisheriesTechnicalReports/Relative%20Performance%20of%20Diploid%20and%20Trip loid%20Catchable%20Rainbow%20Stocked%20in%20Idaho% 20Lakes%20and%20Reservoirs.pdf (mhtml:{D4B30EF5-B0F2-4A4C-82B3-CCCD46BCACC9}mid://00000000/!x-usc:https://collaboration.idfg.idaho.gov/FisheriesTechnicalReports/Relative%20Performance%20of%20Diploid%20and%20Trip loid%20Catchable%20Rainbow%20Stocked%20in%20Idaho% 20Lakes%20and%20Reservoirs.pdf)

I have seen the Idaho paper before. We haven't done any similar studies but our hatchery people have noticed different growth rates at various life stages. Some behavioral changes are to be expected given the forced transformation to triploid. That's a pretty stressful process for a living organism to go through. We have been planting triploid fingerlings and catchables in other waters and so far they seem to be eating and returning to the creel in places like Lake Davis. If it's better or worse than diploid I can't answer.
I'm not sure of the plan for KJ's. What I do know is since they are not a native strain (They are originally from B.C.) so they will likely have to be triploid because of the implementation of SB 1148. That's not going to be an easy thing to do up at Junction Reservoir. My best guess is they are low on the triploid priority list because of the limited #'s.

borntoscout
03-03-2014, 11:49 AM
Thank you. Forgot that the tripoiding process for KJs would need to ocur out in the sage brush. A mainstay for put and grow reservoir and backcountry fisheries for decades, I think we are going to miss the KJs.

wearegods1
03-04-2014, 07:34 PM
been catching those small ELR trout the past week. Not trying to, but they are taking my lures down before I can get my rigs in the down riggers. All that I have caught have not been put in the net and looked okay when I released them. Usually catch them on the way out to the channel from the boat ramp. I've noticed 1 major thing recently. There is a large showing of bass being caught at the Granite Bay boat ramp. Its my hope that the small trout are not the reason for them being there in such large numbers. Good for the bass fisherman, bad for the trout fisherman. With the number of small trout that you planted, it should be sufficient to make it to next year. Will keep you up to date.

RaptorJet31
03-04-2014, 08:21 PM
Wearegods,
Nice chatting with you today and thanks for the tips I had a nice one on shortly after I talked to you on kastmaster while on speaker phone with my wife and the sucker snapped my line while reaching for the net lol Nice rainbow at least a 2lbr
Did ya get the kings for the story?
Hoss

Jay R
03-05-2014, 11:04 AM
been catching those small ELR trout the past week. Not trying to, but they are taking my lures down before I can get my rigs in the down riggers. All that I have caught have not been put in the net and looked okay when I released them. Usually catch them on the way out to the channel from the boat ramp. I've noticed 1 major thing recently. There is a large showing of bass being caught at the Granite Bay boat ramp. Its my hope that the small trout are not the reason for them being there in such large numbers. Good for the bass fisherman, bad for the trout fisherman. With the number of small trout that you planted, it should be sufficient to make it to next year. Will keep you up to date.

Thanks.
That is good info. Hopefully there will be more water next years so we can spread them around the lake a little. We were limited to Granite at the time because it was the only place the trucks could get down to the water.

wearegods1
03-05-2014, 09:15 PM
Wearegods,
Nice chatting with you today and thanks for the tips I had a nice one on shortly after I talked to you on kastmaster while on speaker phone with my wife and the sucker snapped my line while reaching for the net lol Nice rainbow at least a 2lbr
Did ya get the kings for the story?
Hoss

nope, lost 1 at the boat when I was getting the net too. Maybe we should have fished together!!! lol