PDA

View Full Version : Flan

tc
04-07-2009, 03:48 PM
Here's a traditional Basque dessert, slightly different flavor than a normal custard.

Tom

Flan

1/2 cup sugar * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 6 eggs
4 cups milk * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sugar * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *1 tsp nutmeg
pinch of salt
On top of stove, brown 1/3 cup of sugar in a 3" deep and 5 cup capacity pan, set aside.
Beat the eggs, add milk, sugar, vanilla, nutmeg and salt, stir well. Do not beat after adding milk. Pour into the prepared pan, set this in a pan of warm water and place in oven at 325 degrees and bake for 1 hour

metalmouth
04-07-2009, 04:13 PM
Sweet! Garlic fries for a side and Flan for Dessert! I'm going to throw a small get together and my menu is set! I haven't come up with the ingredients for the Picon Punch but I will before the party!

Thanks for the great recipes Tom. They are really appreciated.

Don

okie
04-07-2009, 04:34 PM
don, why dont you serve sangria, it's a good fruity PUNCH. it would go good with your menu, especially if its hot outside. it is way better than iced tea.
bill

metalmouth
04-07-2009, 04:41 PM
I may end up doing the Sangria. The ingredients are easier to come by and I can just float some cut up citrus in the bowl! Thanks for the idea Bill!

CJC
04-07-2009, 05:02 PM
That is one of my favorite desserts! Thanks TC!

tc
04-07-2009, 05:02 PM
I may end up doing the Sangria. The ingredients are easier to come by and I can just float some cut up citrus in the bowl! Thanks for the idea Bill!

Sangria works well to, but try for the Amer Picon, there's enough Basque's in Idaho that you should be able to find some.

Tom

tc
04-07-2009, 05:04 PM

Sangria works well to, but try for the Amer Picon, there's enough Basque's in Idaho that you should be able to find some.

Tom

I almost forgot, you need a few bottles of good red wine, that's like water to us, so I forget to mention it.

Tom

metalmouth
04-07-2009, 05:36 PM
I never run out of the Vin Red! ;)

okie
04-07-2009, 05:50 PM
don, if you do the sangria, you should fix some garlic ribs or garlic chicken also, a good spanish meal with some fried rice or paella. the only problem with that is if belch at night it will wake you up.
my mouth is waterin just thinkin of the garlic chicken we got in cadiz, spain.

metalmouth
04-07-2009, 05:57 PM
I'm lucky enough to have had a girlfriend who's parents were from Spain, one from Greece, and another who's parents were from Argentina. All were great cooks and really could put out great food for a lot of people. I love food of the world! :)

okie
04-07-2009, 06:02 PM
out of all the places i've been, there are only a few things i really dont like and would not try again, sea cucumber, stinky tofu, chicken feet and baluts in taiwan, znd possum in oklahoma.

tc
04-07-2009, 06:22 PM
out of all the places i've been, there are only a few things i really dont like and would not try again, sea cucumber, stinky tofu, chicken feet and baluts in taiwan, znd possum in oklahoma.

I got to go along with you on that balut>
;D ;D ;D ;D

Tom

metalmouth
04-07-2009, 06:28 PM
Yeah I'm not a big Sweetbread eater and Argentine Blood Sausage was a bit much for my tastes. I did try the lambs eye ball and it was a bit of a change of pace. ;D

CJC
04-07-2009, 06:53 PM
I have had a few of those. I just can't remember what the sinky tofu taste like. *;D ;D ;D

okie
04-08-2009, 11:49 AM
i didn't find the flavor all that bad but not good enough to go at it again, it was the smell that hung on for a day or 2.

CHEESECAKELADY
04-11-2009, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the Flan recipe. I am going to try and make it for ODDIE using Splenda instead of sugar. It is one of his favorite desserts. I have tried using Splenda for the bottom of the pan and that really needs to be done with the sugar as the splenda doesn't work there. This is the first recipe I have found that doesn't call for sweetened condensed milk so it should work with the substitution quite well. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Dee

CHEESECAKELADY
04-30-2009, 01:23 PM
The flan was good but ODDIE didn't like the nutmeg so next time I won't add it to the recipe.

Dee

tc
05-01-2009, 06:37 AM
Did you use grated or fresh nutmeg, there's a huge difference in flavor, if you can get some fresh nuts, they keep forever in your freezer, and there's no comparison for flavor.

Tom

metalmouth
05-01-2009, 07:07 AM
I love nutmeg, even the old stuff in the cupboard. I even put it on my canned fruit with cinnamon! ;D

żżż
05-01-2009, 07:47 AM
If the nutmeg is too strong for his taste, try mace as a substitute...

I love nutmeg too. It just screams 'holidays' to me! :D