PDA

View Full Version : Lake Sonoma

Line Stretcher
02-19-2014, 09:07 PM
The Boat In Campgrounds at the lake are currently closed(period).

The adult Steelhead are in the creeks and the creeks are closed until spring.

The limit is two in possession. The ones in your freezer count.

My Own Personal rule is to catch and keep two fish and call it a day. If I have two fish in the freezer I don't fish. I may take clients fishing but I never fish when clients are paying me so they can catch fish. My clients agree to abide by my rules when fishing or they don't go. I reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.

There is always an inversion wind out of the west from just before sunrise until about 10:00am. The main arm kicks up enough to make kayaks and float tubes a challenge.

There are a few juveniles hanging out around the marina and the dam. They are in winter mode with slowed metabolisms due to the cold water. They may not survive c&r so you should keep what you catch. Remember, trout can burp and release the air in their bladder so just because they aren't floaters doesn't mean they didn't die, they just sank to the bottom.

Line Stretcher
02-20-2014, 02:47 PM
Headed up there in the morning to go get some Crappie.

Klamath80
04-04-2014, 02:55 PM
There needs to be a slot limit on Lake Sonoma. Too many people keep the larger fish and fish in general. The steelhead in this lake need to be protected. This resource cannot take too many fish taken and too many anglers are killing fish currently. Last year the fishing was poor compare to prior years.

salmonid
04-04-2014, 05:25 PM
DFW takes proposals for new regs every year.

You might want to look into proposing your idea.

Take care,

There needs to be a slot limit on Lake Sonoma. Too many people keep the larger fish and fish in general. The steelhead in this lake need to be protected. This resource cannot take too many fish taken and too many anglers are killing fish currently. Last year the fishing was poor compare to prior years.

Kokamojoe
04-04-2014, 05:39 PM
DFW takes proposals for new regs every year.

You might want to look into proposing your idea.

Take care,

Exactly!! Personal laws don't fix anything or help the industry. Until there is a law passed on what and how big to keep, it's all personal opinion. The DFW can fix this with input. I tend to believe the professional guides on this matter because they have a vested interest I protecting their fishery.

Klamath80
04-06-2014, 08:02 AM
I have contacted the DF&W and have written opinions and also discussed this with the DF&W field person doing studies on the lake. The field people were in agreement with me about a slot limit. I will continue to do so on this lake so we have a resource in the coming years.

Kokamojoe
04-06-2014, 03:18 PM
Your heart is in the right place! But until a law is in place I Agree with the guide that takes 2 and calls it quits. Most people don't understand the catch and release success rate. There needs to be more education on this subject for all species, not just steelhead. I have to admit, I appreciate your genuine respect for the steelhead!.... And I respect you as well! Cheers
joe

Klamath80
04-08-2014, 03:37 PM
I understand about the laws not being changed and therefore taking a few fish is OK. But laws take such a long time to get changed. An example is the Endangered Species Act. Maybe it should have been called "Oops...we should have thought of this earlier Act" Local, State and Federal agencies usually act when it is too late. That is when laws change, after the damage is done!

Lake Sonoma used to have a 5 fish limit and after time, the population diminished. Now with a 2 fish limit, you can start to do the math if 2 or 4 fish are taken by 10 to 2 boats/day and this resource will not support that kind of take fishery. Luckily, many regulars that fish the lake do not take fish.

My point is really not about the limit or laws. As sportsmen and sportswomen, we have a much better understanding of the impacts on the resource. We are the stewards of the fisheries because, state, local and federal agencies usually act far too late. We need to make the agencies aware and also the general public of this issues.