PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Line

BIG FIN
02-21-2014, 04:47 PM
Whats the best line for 4lb & 6lb . I am currently using pline cxx in both sizes but it seems to get alot of line twist . I like throwing rapalas alot and while this line has excelent diameter for that it sure frustrates me alot , even went to have it spooled on at wild sports and it still twists . The guy there said use a ball bearing swivel but I cant bring myself to that , went with flourocarbon last year but got lots of loops ,any help would be appreciated .:help:Tightlines BF

IronClad
02-21-2014, 04:55 PM
Hard to beat good ole trilene XL tbh. It's generally my go to for light applications.

Captain Compassion
02-21-2014, 05:06 PM
I use 6# CXX for the majority of my fishing and don't seem to have any more problems than with other lines. One thing you can try is when you spool up go outside open the bail and walk off around 200 feet with nothing attached. Reel the line back in putting pressure on the line as it goes on the spool. Might help. I use it fore tossing very light lures on streams and it works well.

CC

redneckpunk
02-21-2014, 05:21 PM
I use the CXX 6# as well and have found the same issue. Its not as bad with a swivel but not eliminated. The biggest complaint I have read about all P-line lines is memory. I have had it suggested that spraying the spool with WD40 will help, although with it being illegal to use while fishing where is the line between using it as an attractant and as a line conditioner?

~RNP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PapaGreg
02-21-2014, 05:26 PM
Might seem trivial, but make sure the line goes onto the reel the same as it comes off the spool. In other words, if the line comes off the top of the spool, make sure it goes onto the top of the reel. If not, this can contribute to the twist, the line coming off the top and going to the bottom.:yikes:!

Jetspray
02-21-2014, 05:45 PM
Invest some money in Ardent Line Butter or Kevin VanDam's line dressing. It will give you some help with the line curl, otherwise a good super braid might be in order:old:........Jetspray Kevin VanDam's Line and LureŽ Conditioner | Bass Pro Shops (http://www.basspro.com/Kevin-VanDams-Line-and-Lure-Conditioner/product/66168/)

Jetspray
02-21-2014, 05:47 PM
BTW I call it "Curly Screw" it is what mono does for a living:laugh:........Jetspray

Jfitalia
02-21-2014, 05:50 PM
I use the CXX 6# as well and have found the same issue. Its not as bad with a swivel but not eliminated. The biggest complaint I have read about all P-line lines is memory. I have had it suggested that spraying the spool with WD40 will help, although with it being illegal to use while fishing where is the line between using it as an attractant and as a line conditioner?

~RNP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use CXX and floroclear only from everything from 2lb to 15lb. I have never had an issue with memory on my spools. There is no need to run 200ft off and reel it back on. Just simply dunk your spool in warm water for 15 minutes the day before fishing. It relaxes the lines and removes the memory.

panther
02-21-2014, 06:14 PM
Whats the best line for 4lb & 6lb . I am currently using pline cxx in both sizes but it seems to get alot of line twist . I like throwing rapalas alot and while this line has excelent diameter for that it sure frustrates me alot , even went to have it spooled on at wild sports and it still twists . The guy there said use a ball bearing swivel but I cant bring myself to that , went with flourocarbon last year but got lots of loops ,any help would be appreciated .:help:Tightlines BF

I have been reluctant to use P Line because it is made by Pucci, and I don't like their swivels and other product. For decades I have used Stren 4lb clear blue fluorescent. I haven't had problems with it. It's limber and casts well. The clear blue helps to see the line and the tiny movements that fish may be imparting to it. Below the water it is invisible. Also, Stren line is very reasonably priced.

Captain Compassion
02-21-2014, 06:49 PM
I use CXX and floroclear only from everything from 2lb to 15lb. I have never had an issue with memory on my spools. There is no need to run 200ft off and reel it back on. Just simply dunk your spool in warm water for 15 minutes the day before fishing. It relaxes the lines and removes the memory.

You run it out to get rid of any twists that come from spooling it on.

CC

Jetspray
02-21-2014, 06:51 PM
Be careful of the water temps, you can change the bonding of the polymers, I'm just sayin'......Jetspray

Bainter1212
02-21-2014, 06:57 PM
Invest some money in Ardent Line Butter or Kevin VanDam's line dressing. It will give you some help with the line curl, otherwise a good super braid might be in order:old:........Jetspray Kevin VanDam's Line and LureŽ Conditioner | Bass Pro Shops (http://www.basspro.com/Kevin-VanDams-Line-and-Lure-Conditioner/product/66168/)

Yup....invest in some line lube. A little goes a long way.

Kaban12
02-21-2014, 07:19 PM
If pline cxx doesn't work. Then maxima ultragreen will do the trick for 4-6lb

Jfitalia
02-21-2014, 08:27 PM
Be careful of the water temps, you can change the bonding of the polymers, I'm just sayin'......Jetspray

It's fine with warm water. Don't over think the process. It's been working great for 20 years

Reel Fun
02-21-2014, 08:57 PM
I really like the Maxima 5 lb green!!! Its strong like 6 and thin like 4.......that's why its 5!!

Prettyman01
02-22-2014, 12:00 AM
I second the recommendation for 5 pound maxima. Handles well and is strong and abrassion resistant. Hands down the best stuff out there.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Jetspray
02-22-2014, 04:57 AM
It's fine with warm water. Don't over think the process. It's been working great for 20 years Not an overthink just a chemical process, kind of like washing plastic windows on boats, too much with the wrong things and cracked plastics result. It is why you wash off things after fishing the salt or alkaline waters ........Jetspray