PDA

View Full Version : Frog Giggin ?

tennesseemike
02-22-2014, 09:39 PM
Probably not the best place to post this, but this forum gets lots of views. Looking for a place to take my 7 and 2 year old to catch frogs. We tried some at a restaurant in downtown sac and everyone liked them. Now I would like to take the kids out to spear some. Anyone know of a public place that has a decent amount of bull frogs. Tried a few ponds in Natomas, but didn't even hear frogs croaking at 9pm.

Thanks,

TM

nvthis
02-22-2014, 11:32 PM
It's a little early in the year for those. Take a gander on Youtube...

Brickinthewall98
02-22-2014, 11:51 PM
Riechmuth park in greehaven has a bunch of frogs from what iv heard. If u drive by at night after some rain can here them in the soccer fields. Only problem there is that it's kind of dangerous. My friends have gotten robbed their numerous times

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tennesseemike
02-23-2014, 12:25 AM
thanks for the report....and the warning!

XPL051v3
02-23-2014, 12:52 AM
Wait a bit for the weather to warm up and hit up Black Butte Lake. There are a bunch out there and your kids will have a ball. I usually get out there at 6 or 7pm and we have a bunch of us (10 or 15) that fish / bull frog hunt all night and end up passing out around 3 or 4am. Just have a light and your gig to blind them. We usually start going out in May but will hit hard in June and July every week. PM me if you need to. Good luck!

-Xzi

CAL.NDN
02-23-2014, 08:24 AM
I love them frog legs at Broadway Chinese. I think the frogs are out already there going crazy at night up here after that rain.

CDK
02-23-2014, 09:45 AM
Might try a long bamboo 4 ft of line and a big ol hairy jig during the day. For some reason color red works best for me.

CDK
02-23-2014, 09:48 AM
I love them frog legs at Broadway Chinese. I think the frogs are out already there going crazy at night up here after that rain.
Pretty sure the frogs you are hearing are NOT the eating ones. Unless it is a loud,deep hurump.

tennesseemike
02-24-2014, 04:08 PM
We went to Sandra Dee's on 15th street. Is Black Butte lake off of Hwy 20 towards Stoney Ford?
I will definately try a jig as well. Thanks for all the help. I love this club.

dsa2780
02-24-2014, 04:33 PM
This article may help you. Tahoe is a long drive away but hey, may be worth it.

French Frog Legs Recipe - A Recipe for Sauteed Frog Legs | Hunter Angler Gardener Cook (http://honest-food.net/2013/08/12/fried-frog-legs-recipe/)

nelson9
02-24-2014, 08:44 PM
When I was about ten years old I use to catch them with a black plastic worm on a single hook. Drop it in front of them and give it a shake or two. They jump all over it.

49erbassman
02-25-2014, 11:01 AM
I catch them all the time on my snag proof frog lures lol.....frog on frog crime I call it

Fish on!

Princecraft
02-25-2014, 12:45 PM
We used to gig for them using headlights and kayaks as a kid. It was easy pickings in the slews that go through the refuges of the Central Valley (Sac, Delevan, etc.). We stopped frogging due to the pesticide runoff that came from large commercial farming. Not sure if the refuges are open after sunset, but the kids would have a blat doing catch and release. Similar to other posts, it was a summer activity at night. Bring good bug spay as mosquitos are often thick in bull frog areas.