PDA

View Full Version : How to clean up lures

XPL051v3
02-23-2014, 01:04 AM
So I got a bunch of lures from my Granpa who can barely fish now since he had a stroke a few years ago. He gave me most of his tackle for bass and trout. My question is I have some needle fish and some spoons (not sure of the name/brand) but they are a dull color from sitting and not using them for a awhile but the hooks are still razor sharp. What do you guys clean up your lures with to make them 'shine' again? I have several hundred lures and about half are 'dull' and not shining like they were new so i'd like to polish these lures up and get them ready for trout and troll with them. I could also post some pictures if needed but there all the same type as the needle fish ranging from 1 - 3 inches long. Thanks for the help!

-Xzi

Jetspray
02-23-2014, 03:47 AM
It depends on the material, wood, plastic, metal. I start with Dawn detergent to clean off the obvious. For some metals like brass use a brass cleaner on the parts that are not painted. Rust is a main culprit of older stuff and most rust removers are too damaging to use. Good vinegar sometimes can be used with a cotton swab. I use line conditioner on the end result (as a lubricant) as WD-40 is not good to put in the water these days........Jetspray

NaughtyFlashLures
02-23-2014, 05:48 AM
+1 on a good overnight soak in dawn. Don't use anything abrasive on finished spoons. Try and rub out the rust with a rag, if it is brass and tarnished, then there isnt a clear coat. If it is nickel plated it will scratch really easy so dont use anything abrasive. Or plan on buffing them out with a polishing wheel whwn you are finished and re clear coating them. Let me know if you need splitrings or treble hooks, I have a few sizes.

Jetspray
02-23-2014, 08:59 AM
I'll go along with the "abrasive" non-use. That is why I buy cheap paint brushes at WalMart in the art section, and very soft bristle tooth brushes at the dollar store. If you can it is the best for cleanup........Jetspray

CDK
02-23-2014, 09:31 AM
I like this.
Ultrasonic Cleaner - 2.5 Liter (http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html)
for first effort.

ncreys
02-23-2014, 06:53 PM
Soak them in soapy water then on the surfaces that don't have any paint I like to use aluminum foil to rub a shine back into my spoons. Try not to rub too hard because it might leave hair line scratches; guarantee that on all your kastmasters it will bring back some shine.

Jetspray
02-24-2014, 12:37 PM
I like this.
Ultrasonic Cleaner - 2.5 Liter (http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html)
for first effort.
Many of these require special solutions and are not too happy with some types of lures/paints/plastics, I'm just sayin'.........Jetspray