PDA

View Full Version : green nightcrawler ???

William DFC
02-23-2014, 05:03 PM
is there anyone had a disappointment with green nightcrawler for trout fishing?...I went to san Pablo yesterday with the idea of testing the green nightcrawler and what I got is few hours with no bite and that's strange especially I fished in my fav spot where I always limit out and tons of action, after around noon I decided to go back to marina and get the regs nightcrawler and I went to new spot near the dam and manage to get 2 trouts and missed one bite....probably will never use green worm/nightcrawler again....:wallbash:

PapaGreg
02-23-2014, 05:29 PM
Funny you mentioned them, I was wondering if they were still around, seemed to be the rage when they first came out years back.

William DFC
02-23-2014, 05:34 PM
Funny you mentioned them, I was wondering if they were still around, seemed to be the rage when they first came out years back.I saw that green nightcrawler in walmart and I thought with bright color like green will attract trout but I am disappointed with this green thing. Maybe the trout sense the different scent from green nightcrawler, or the trout had in mind "dude, I don't eat veggies"..lol

alucardbear
02-23-2014, 07:15 PM
That's weird I hate worms so much at San pablo reservoir. I never had anything on it. Mostly I use power bait and mice tails.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

RideNfish
02-23-2014, 09:16 PM
I never heard of them but I don't bait fish much. The only way to test them is a side by side with the regular worms. Moving spots or just trying different times of days with different worms won't help. We have all had a bite all of a sudden turn on even if the bait was untouched for hours. Interesting though. Thanks for sharing.

William DFC
02-23-2014, 09:34 PM
I never heard of them but I don't bait fish much. The only way to test them is a side by side with the regular worms. Moving spots or just trying different times of days with different worms won't help. We have all had a bite all of a sudden turn on even if the bait was untouched for hours. Interesting though. Thanks for sharing.u might be right, well I am thinking to test it one more time with regs worm side by side...I like the shape of green nightcrawler though because u can see very clear where the throat and body....big rains is coming...hurrayyyyyyyyyyyy

ApexPredator
02-23-2014, 10:31 PM
I never heard of them but I don't bait fish much. The only way to test them is a side by side with the regular worms. Moving spots or just trying different times of days with different worms won't help. We have all had a bite all of a sudden turn on even if the bait was untouched for hours. Interesting though. Thanks for sharing.

Even using this method you won’t really know. The science side of my brain always has a hard time when I go testing out a new set up or bait presentation. There are too many variables in fishing to rule out one bait over another in a few tests. That is why professional fishermen have hundreds of lures on their boats because what worked yesterday in practice to fill the live well may not do anything today. Fishing is one of those hobbies where you can do everything totally right and still get nothing in return. This was an interesting topic as I had never heard of green crawlers.

RideNfish
02-24-2014, 08:34 AM
Even using this method you won’t really know..

I agree completely. I was just talking generalization not hard science. haha Like you said, one day one will work the next day the other. Hell, you can have the same exact bait on two rods and only one gets hit over and over even if they are only 5' apart. That one baffles me sometimes. But this is the sport we partake in. Always guessing and usually wrong. :confused:

Jfitalia
02-24-2014, 09:37 AM
is there anyone had a disappointment with green nightcrawler for trout fishing?...I went to san Pablo yesterday with the idea of testing the green nightcrawler and what I got is few hours with no bite and that's strange especially I fished in my fav spot where I always limit out and tons of action, after around noon I decided to go back to marina and get the regs nightcrawler and I went to new spot near the dam and manage to get 2 trouts and missed one bite....probably will never use green worm/nightcrawler again....:wallbash:

Well you used two different baits in two different locations. That isn't exactly a great barometer for testing something out.

Those worms have been out for probably 10 years along with the garlic crawlers. I have caught fish on all of those but none better than another.

Troutbead
02-24-2014, 10:43 AM

you proved nothing there may have been no trouts were you were fishing. now if you had been fishing two rods with the exact same setups only a few feet apart and had green crawlers on one and regular crawlers on the other and only got bites on the regilar crawlers then maybe you could could up to a conclusion at least to what they were biting on that day.

tennesseemike
02-24-2014, 04:12 PM
I bought some labeld "Canadian" night crawlers before. When I opened it up, they were green. I didn't catch anything on them. Don't plan on buying them again. I did notice they were pretty burly.

PapaGreg
02-24-2014, 05:09 PM
tenneseemike-sure nothing else was on the label? I bought some last week (18 canadian nightcrawlers) and they're just nightcrawlers, no color. DMF Bait Co. is on the tub.