PDA

View Full Version : Basque Sweetbreads, (Choriak)

tc
04-01-2009, 05:09 PM
This is the Sweetbreads recipe from Louis's Basque Corner in Reno, a long time favorite of mine and many others.

Enjoy

Tom
Basque Sweetbreads (Choriak)

Ingredients

2 pounds Veal Sweetbreads
1 cup all purpose Flour, seasoned with Salt and fresh ground Pepper
6 tablespoons Spanish, extra virgin Olive Oil
4 cloves of Garlic, crushed
1 medium yellow Onion, 1/2 inch dice
1 medium green Bell Pepper, ½ inch dice
1 teaspoon Spanish Paprika
Salt and freshly ground Pepper to taste
½ cup reserved poaching liquid, (Beef Stock)
¼ cup chopped Parsley

Preparation

Dust the prepared Sweetbreads in the seasoned Flour. *In a large frying pan, pan-fry them in 3 tablespoons of the Olive Oil until lightly browned. *Remove and set aside. *Reheat the frying pan and add the remaining Oil, the Garlic, Onion and Bell Pepper and sauté until just tender. *Return the Sweetbreads to the pan and add the Paprika, Salt and Pepper and sauté all together. *Add the reserved poaching liquid, cover and cook gently for 5 minutes more, tossing about in the pan. *Sprinkle with Parsley jus before serving.

Toxic_Waste
04-01-2009, 08:00 PM
I noticed two things, the poaching liquid and the "prepared" sweetbreads. Does that mean the sweetbreads must be poached before being pan-fried? Because one time I tried to cook sweetbreads from a young steer my dad had butchered on our ranch, and they were inedible. They kept excreting all this foamy goo and wouldn't stop. The dogs even ran off and wouldn't eat them! Somebody later told me they needed to be simmered in broth or water first. (Same with kidneys, I heard.)

People tell me that sweetbreads are delicious, so I should probably try it again, in case I'm missing out. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Captain Compassion
04-01-2009, 08:54 PM
People tell me that sweetbreads are delicious, so I should probably try it again, in case I'm missing out. Thanks for posting the recipe.

If you want to taste them as they should be go to Loius' Basque Corner in Reno.

CC

Captain Compassion
04-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Thanks again TC. You do the Basque race proud. ;) Got all these recipies saved off.

CC

tc
04-02-2009, 08:35 AM
I noticed two things, the poaching liquid and the "prepared" sweetbreads. Does that mean the sweetbreads must be poached before being pan-fried? Because one time I tried to cook sweetbreads from a young steer my dad had butchered on our ranch, and they were inedible. They kept excreting all this foamy goo and wouldn't stop. The dogs even ran off and wouldn't eat them! Somebody later told me they needed to be simmered in broth or water first. (Same with kidneys, I heard.)

You can lookup any standard recipe to prepare Sweetbreads, you have to soak them for at least 1 hour in cold water to flush out any remaining blood, then with fresh water, bring them to a boil and simmer uncovered for about 3 minutes, immediatley remove them from the pot and plunge into ice water, this will firm them and make it easy to trim off any connective tissue and tougher membrane. After these steps Sweebreads are ready to prepare in any recipe. The Poaching Broth I talk about, can be any Meat Stock that you have prepared, or you can use canned stuff, I like to use the same stock that I prepare for Basque Beans, that has the roasted Lamb Rib Bones simmered in the Broth, I usually prepare several gallons of that stock, and freeze for later use in quart containers.

Tom

Toxic_Waste
04-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Thank you very much for the additional info, TC!

Jetspray
04-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Preperation is key has anyone eaten puffer fish? I have never done this recipe but it reads great....Jetspray

walnuts
04-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Louis Basque Corner...drool...I miss that place so much. TC, are you Basque? If so, it's good to see another Basquo so soon after joining the forum!

troutfan
04-03-2009, 07:56 AM
Louis Basque Corner...drool...I miss that place so much. *TC, are you Basque? *If so, it's good to see another Basquo so soon after joining the forum! *
I'm Basque and although I love Chorizo and tongue stew I really can't stand Sweetbreads...maybe I'm adopted! ;) ;D ;D

tc
04-03-2009, 09:11 AM
Louis Basque Corner...drool...I miss that place so much. *TC, are you Basque? *If so, it's good to see another Basquo so soon after joining the forum! *

1/2 Basque, 1/2 Irish, It makes me a very even tempered person.
;D ;D ;D ;D

Tom

CJC
04-06-2009, 07:16 PM
I love Chorizo and tongue stew ....
Not trying to make fun of it but I'd like to see that recipe. ;D ;D ;D

Captain Compassion
04-07-2009, 08:15 AM

Partially Basque + lots of other Eurotrash. ;D Still have the Basque surname.

CC