PDA

View Full Version : Trolling for trout

lucky318
02-28-2014, 02:12 PM
Hello everyone I was wondering I could use my salmon trolling reel with 50 pound power pro, with maybe 10 pound big game leader for trolling for trout? What would be a good cheap trolling rod for maybe 50 bucks? Thanks

Jfitalia
02-28-2014, 02:45 PM
You can use the reel depending on the size of the reel. As for the line, you can use the power pro with no problems. I would however maybe lower your leader to 8lb.

For a cheap trolling rod look at the okuma celios or SST rods.

redneckpunk
02-28-2014, 03:03 PM
You can use the reel depending on the size of the reel. As for the line, you can use the power pro with no problems. I would however maybe lower your leader to 8lb.

For a cheap trolling rod look at the okuma celios or SST rods.

Celios is a nice rod. Just picked up a spinning version for trout banking and throwing hardware for $29 @ Wild Sports

~RNP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tonysgonefishin
02-28-2014, 04:34 PM
I picked up some 9' ugly stick big water downrigger rods for $40 a piece. They are light action and have worked great for leadcore and flat line trolling as well. The problem you may have with the smaller lighter action rods may be that the reel seat is to small. At least worth looking at before you purchase! I can fit a 45 size reel on the ugly stik but can't fit that size reel on my light okuma, loomis or diawa's. Just something to consider.

lucky318
02-28-2014, 05:52 PM
Thanks everyone, the reel I have are the daiwa sealine 27 series, what action and how long should they be.

Tonysgonefishin
02-28-2014, 07:53 PM
For trolling I like ul or light power rods with a moderate to mod-fast action. A nice soft rod will act as shock absorber, especially when using braid, that will help to keep from ripping the hook out and save lighter leaders. Length is really personal preference, I like longer rods, in the 7-9' range. I'm usually running four rods off the side so I will run longer rods straight out the side and then run the shorter rods at a 45 and a little further back to get the most tip separation I can. I also run the holders toward the bow, with the longer rods, on a riser. The shortest trolling rod I like is 7'. I own and use okuma, diawa, ugly stiks and g loomis rods. The first three are all in the price range you are looking at. I normally wouldn't spend the money for a loomis on a trolling rod but I got it for a screaming good deal and it really is that much better, but completely unnecessary for trolling.

Tonysgonefishin
02-28-2014, 07:54 PM
A 27 series will fit on any of these rods!

Jetspray
02-28-2014, 08:04 PM
Hello everyone I was wondering I could use my salmon trolling reel with 50 pound power pro, with maybe 10 pound big game leader for trolling for trout? What would be a good cheap trolling rod for maybe 50 bucks? Thanks
I do not know what type rod you have nor reel, but you could take a drill and a piece of paper tubing (like ones that rods are shipped in) and roll off that line setup. Then change out the line with a lighter setup and have some fun. We all have different sets of tools to use while trolling and you could fall off the planet trying to match what someone else has. The main thing is to enjoy trolling for trout with lighter stuff than salmon.....Jetspray

redneckpunk
02-28-2014, 08:12 PM
Just a suggestion, while those reels will work, putting them on light weight rods for trout will be really heavy and out of balance. Not to mention, depending on the size of the reel seat, they may not fit.

~RNP

Tonysgonefishin
02-28-2014, 09:28 PM
I just ran out to double check and my diawa 27 series fit on all the light trout rods I have (and mentioned). I also pulled them out to feel the balance and weight. While not ideal, it is certainly manageable. The longer rods definitely balanced out a little better.

Sealine's have a nice drag as well so it should work ok for you. I'm all about multitasking what I already have so I can appreciate you trying to use what you already have. I'd be tempted to put a 25-30 yard top shot of mono or copolymer on top of the braid to help with the shock absorption and the fight.

lucky318
02-28-2014, 11:28 PM
Thanks Tony that's good to know, the sg27lc3b linecounter series are great reels, although not the smoothest reels, the two that I have caught over 40 salmon last year and they still feel brand new.I put smooth drags in after salmon season was over, they are definitely better and iam wanting to use them.

Jfitalia
03-01-2014, 06:43 AM
I just ran out to double check and my diawa 27 series fit on all the light trout rods I have (and mentioned). I also pulled them out to feel the balance and weight. While not ideal, it is certainly manageable. The longer rods definitely balanced out a little better.

Sealine's have a nice drag as well so it should work ok for you. I'm all about multitasking what I already have so I can appreciate you trying to use what you already have. I'd be tempted to put a 25-30 yard top shot of mono or copolymer on top of the braid to help with the shock absorption and the fight.

There is no need for a top shot. With a limber rod and light drag I've had no problem using braid trolling.

NaughtyFlashLures
03-01-2014, 07:05 AM
There is no need for a top shot. With a limber rod and light drag I've had no problem using braid trolling.

I've had opposite results on light action rods with Braid. I tend to rip the hooks out when I get them closer to the boat. Drag setting didn't matter much. With Ultra light rods 7' + I haven't had any issues with Braid.

ej22t
03-01-2014, 08:19 AM
Berkeley makes a trout dough rod that work for trolling and bank fishing. Rod, reel and line 35 at walmart. I have 5 trout poles and i use this one my friend left at my house more than any of them. My buddy put braided line on and ive never lost a fish in it, even when i have to whip them in the boat because i forgot my net. Set the drag about half way and the pole has a lot of flex. I even use my striper pole 30lb braid hooked straight to lures and dont lose them. I will use a 12lb mono leader when bank fishing with powerbait. I troll j7 slpit tail rapalas 1/8oz rattle traps and put some pro cure trout sent on them, not too much or they dont swim right. Noise and scent have worked really well for me at amador.

Tonysgonefishin
03-01-2014, 08:27 AM

What size braid are you using?

Ive used 20-30 lb for trout trolling. my concern was the heavier line and lighter fish. I know it wouldn't be as bad as fishing leadcore but that is kind of what I equate it to in my head.

i agree though, a limber rod and light drag are key with braid!

ej22t
03-01-2014, 09:29 AM

Ive used 20-30 lb for trout trolling. my concern was the heavier line and lighter fish. I know it wouldn't be as bad as fishing leadcore but that is kind of what I equate it to in my head.

I use an okuma reflexions 7' 8-17lbs 1/2-5/8oz with shimano sienna 4000fd with 30lb braid. I got it for top water striper but use it to troll trout all the time never lost a fish even when they jump and trash. If they start trashing I hold my pole out to give them a little line to play with then keep reeling.

Jfitalia
03-01-2014, 09:41 AM

Heavy line? Braid doesn't weigh much at all in regards to weight like with leadcore. What exactly is your concern?

All of my braid for trout and kokes is 30lb.

Tonysgonefishin
03-01-2014, 09:51 AM
Sorry, that came out wrong. I wasn't considering weight as much as drag and resistance. I know 50lb braid is about the same diameter as 12 lb mono but that is still bigger than I like for trout. When you are catching salmon or stripers you can lean against their weight to deal with any resistance when they make sideways runs, a little trout could create some slack line a pop off in the same scenario.

i guess it's all down to personal preference! It also seems to me that the heavier braid has even less stretch than the lighter braids but that could be anecdotal on my part!

Tonysgonefishin
03-01-2014, 09:52 AM
Heavy line? Braid doesn't weigh much at all in regards to weight like with leadcore. What exactly is your concern?

All of my braid for trout and kokes is 30lb.

i guess by by heavier I meant 20 vs 50 lb. not actual weight of the line!

Jfitalia
03-01-2014, 09:57 AM
i guess by by heavier I meant 20 vs 50 lb. not actual weight of the line!

ahhh that makes sense! When using reels with mono my trolling stuff is usually 8lb. That is why I stick with the 30lb braid.