PDA

View Full Version : Lower ar trout

QueenAnnesRevenge
02-28-2014, 03:46 PM
Read my post in the steelhead board about the trout slayage today, if you have kids that want to hook up the area below watt ave is crammed packed.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk

luckyraider
02-28-2014, 08:45 PM
Funny how nobody responds to an obviously misguided angler suggesting an obviously misguided fishing opportunity. Hey RNP, even though the regs allow people to keep 2 steelhead on that section of the river (if its open that is) dont you think someone should speak up. It is their right to catch and retain 2 steelhead regardless of length or weight but does that mean its right? I know its the same argument as weve seen in other threads recently but it is a bit different. What do you think? Im wondering why an angler is allowed to openly suggest there is a hot "trout bite" when it appears they are talking about steelhead smolts recently released by the hatchery. A little education would go a long way, but none is forthcoming. Just asking nobodys right or wrong, yet.:pirate:

LURKER916
02-28-2014, 08:59 PM
It's all about ethics.
Everyone should know those are steelie smolts. But it their right to go and "slay them"....
Is it ethical? That's the question....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redneckpunk
02-28-2014, 09:14 PM
Funny how nobody responds to an obviously misguided angler suggesting an obviously misguided fishing opportunity. Hey RNP, even though the regs allow people to keep 2 steelhead on that section of the river (if its open that is) dont you think someone should speak up. It is their right to catch and retain 2 steelhead regardless of length or weight but does that mean its right? I know its the same argument as weve seen in other threads recently but it is a bit different. What do you think? Im wondering why an angler is allowed to openly suggest there is a hot "trout bite" when it appears they are talking about steelhead smolts recently released by the hatchery. A little education would go a long way, but none is forthcoming. Just asking nobodys right or wrong, yet.:pirate:

It was pointed out on the thread that these were probably steelies. And if someone wants to address it in a respectful, educational and constructive manner, they are more than welcome. I am not a steelie or AR fisherman, so I am not completely up on the regs, therefore coming from me would be meaningless. However, most of the responses on the thread so far are from guys who do fish steelies and the AR all the time and are well informed about the fishery and have raised no issues.

~RNP

QueenAnnesRevenge
02-28-2014, 10:16 PM
Sorry I brought it up. Change the report to read
"on Friday February 28 2014 I caught and.released a load of "smolt" they ranged from 8-12" and were being eaten by pelicans and striped bass. I released everything without taking any of them out of the water, with barbells hooks. I was angling for adult steelhead, also to be released. I moved many times to try and avoid the smolt.and.tried to angle for the feeding stripers instead. I was unsuccessful in that as they were gorging on the smolt released in the open section of river instead of the upper reaches. I'm extremely sorry for the coming poor steelhead runs that will result from my posting on this forum.
Thanks for the education of this obviously misguided a-hole.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk

LURKER916
02-28-2014, 10:36 PM
Nobody called anyone names.
It's a noble thing to post about wanting to put kids on fish. It's just a seriously touchy subject amongst steelhead fisherman.

They are a blast to catch, but on traditional gear they get ripped lips and have a high mortality rate. Of course plenty still make the run out and come back bigger and better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk