PDA

View Full Version : Basque Paella Recipe

tc
04-01-2009, 11:00 AM
Here is a Basque version of the Standard Spanish Paella that makes a very hearty meal. You can make it without a traditional Paella Pan, but the Rice never get's as browned on the bottom, it should have an almost burnt crust.

Enjoy

Tom

Basque Paella

3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 lb. med. raw shrimp (peeled with tail on)
1 1/2 lb. clams, washed (in shell)
1 lb. mussels, washed (in shell)
1/2 lb. squid (cleaned)
1 lb. chorizo sliced thick
6-8 baby octopus (cleaned)
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp oregano
dash crushed red pepper
dash fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp. salt

Sofrito:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 lb. Lamb stew meat (cut into med. cubes)
1 large whole yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves minced garlic
2 red bell peppers (large cubed)
1 green bell pepper

Rice Base:
3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
2 1/2 cups short grain, arborio rice
2 1/2 cups Chicken stock
1/4 tsp saffron (freshly pulverized in mortar & pestle)

2 Avocadoes (thinly sliced lengthwise)
Lemon wedges
- Preheat Oven to 375
In large med-hi preheated skillet, add oil, seafood, and seasonings. Stir occasionally till light brown. Remove and leave juices.
In same pan, add sofrito ingredients. Sautee till light brown. Remove and leave juices.
Add oil and rice only, stirring till rice becomes slightly browned. Add chicken stock, continue to stir and cook for 10 more minutes. Turn off heat source. Add saffron. Add in soffrito mixture. Stir once.
Place rice mixture in bottom of 12-14 inch Paella dish. Spread evenly. Place seafood mixture evenly atop the rice.
Bake in oven for 40-50 minutes. Do not stir once in oven.
Remove from oven, and cover for 10 minutes (allowing to steam). Fan avocado slices (lengthwise) around perimeter of pan. Serve in pan at the table.

metalmouth
04-01-2009, 11:11 AM
Wow TC, your knocking them out of the park today! I'm saving them to my recipe files! ;D

tc
04-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Wow TC, your knocking them out of the park today! I'm saving them to my recipe files! *;D

SuperDave said he wanted to see some recipe's with Chorizo, so I started typing.

Tom

Captain Compassion
04-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the Basque recipies. Now I need some time to execute. ;) The Star aint what is use to be. Too yuppified. Louies still rocks. Always get the roast lamb or sweet breads. [smiley=chowtime.gif]

CC

Rusty_Hooks
04-01-2009, 03:22 PM
out of the park doesn't even come close......fantastic ;) :D

I could live on that stuff........3 a day

I just have a hard time chasing baby octopus

This recipe would work well at a barbeque get together....

All in one giant serving dish

tc
04-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the Basque recipies. Now I need some time to execute. ;) The Star aint what is use to be. Too yuppified. Louies still rocks. Always get the roast lamb or sweet breads. *[smiley=chowtime.gif]

CC

I just happen to have Louis's Sweet Bread Recipe. It's amazing what you can aquire with a few Picon's,,,,,,,, quite a few.

Tom

Captain Compassion
04-01-2009, 09:25 PM
I just happen to have Louis's Sweet Bread Recipe. *It's amazing what you can aquire with a few Picon's,,,,,,,, quite a few.

That Picon is magic stuff. ;D

http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/picon1.jpg

CC