PDA

View Full Version : Basque Baked Beans

tc
04-01-2009, 07:27 AM
This recipe came from a Chef at Louis's Basque Corner in Reno, after far to many Picon Punches one night, and are an exceptional side dish with a meal, or all by itself, with some bread and butter.

Enjoy

Tom

Baked Beans from Louis’s Basque Corner
1½ lb. dried kidney beans, rinsed and drained
3 cups water
2 cups beef stock
3/4 lb. boneless pork, cut in small pieces
3/4 lb. ham steak, with bone
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1 bay leaf
½ lb. Basque chorizo cut in 3/4 in. pieces
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Put the beans and at least twice much water into a heavy 8-quart pot.
2. Cover the pot and bring it to the boil.
3. Turn off the heat and let it sit for one hour.
4. Drain the beans and return them to the pot.
5. Add all of the other ingredients except the chorizo, salt, and pepper.
6. Bring the whole shebang to a boil and simmer for one hour.
7. Add the chorizo and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8. It’s done when the beans are very tender and the liquid has thickenened.
9. The true secret to these beans is Lamb Bones in the Beef Stock, take the Rib Bones, if you can get them from the Butcher, place on a baking sheet, and roast at 400 until almost black, put them in the pot that you make your beef stock from. *I will make several gallons of stock at one time, and freeze in quart containers.

metalmouth
04-01-2009, 07:34 AM
Baked Lamb Rib Bones in the Beef Stock. We're talking Good Eats!

tc
04-01-2009, 07:38 AM
Baked Lamb Rib Bones in the Beef Stock. We're talking Good Eats!

If you ever go through Elko, that's one of the Specialties on the Star's Menu, there to die for, not cooked the way you would for Stock, more like Baby Backs, very slow roasted in a lovely sauce.
:P :P :P :P

Tom

metalmouth
04-01-2009, 11:17 AM
more like Baby Backs, very slow roasted in a lovely sauce.

I'm dying here . . . I have to go get some lunch! ;D

MontanaN8V
04-01-2009, 01:25 PM
TC, are you basque? French or Spanish? Ever go to the Basqo Fiasco in Elko? I did the boulder thing there three years I lived there, got my but kicked. There are some stron little dudes that show up. The Star is my fav place there.

tc
04-01-2009, 01:32 PM
TC, are you basque? French or Spanish? *Ever go to the Basqo Fiasco in Elko? *I did the boulder thing there three years I lived there, got my but kicked. *There are some stron little dudes that show up. *The Star is my fav place there.

Half of my family are Basque, scattered between French and Spanish, which makes for great discussions, (fights), the other half of the family is Irish, I can cook, and hold my liquor. I've spent allot of time in Elko over the years, both working and hunting, and never pass through without a stop at the Star. I've never competed in the Basque Festivals, but I've sure been to a bunch of them both in Elko and Reno.

Tom