PDA

View Full Version : Easy and tastey meals

SuperDave
03-16-2009, 11:43 AM
If you are ever scratching your head for easy meals to add to your camping menu, I've got 2 that are both easy and very tastey.

Zartarian's Jambalya and Dirty Rice

Add a sliced kielbasa, chicken or some shrimp to the jambalya and serve with a couple cold beers and dinner is GOOD.

The Dirty Rice just needs some browned ground beef and is an excellent 30 minute meal.

żżż
03-16-2009, 12:04 PM
I like dirty rice. Yum!

OK I got one. This one take a little more work than browning ground beef, but not by much!

'Lasagna' casserole

1 lb. shaped pasta of your choice
Prepared red sauce, quantity to taste (some like it drier, some like it wetter!), about 1.5 jars
1 jar Classico Alfredo Sauce
1 pint whole milk ricotta
1/4 c. chopped basil
8 oz. or more mozzerella cheese
Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 375 with rack in upper 1/3.
Cook pasta 'til almost al dente - you'll cook it more later. Drain well, toss with prepared red sauce and pour into casserole dish.
In another bowl thoroughly mix together ricotta and alfredo sauce. Fold in basil.
Using a large spoon, spoon cheese mixture evenly over pasta. Spread lightly and evenly to edges.
Top with mozzerella cheese and paremesan.

Bake 'til top is browned and edges are crisp (that's the way I like it!).
Let stand for 15 minutes so the cheese can 'set' a little.

The kids love it. The alfredo/ricotta mixture just works. It's the perfect blend of creamy/salty/cheesy! :D

SuperDave
03-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Mooch, I've got one very similiar to yours but the pasta of choice is three cheese tortellini. That is yummy with some garlic bread dripping with butter.

DazShooter
03-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Mooch - Add some cooked and sliced Italian sausage to your recipe and you've got Baked Ziti. I love to make it. It's Lasagne without the hassle.

SD - Zatarains is good stuff. I use Wild Turkey leg/thigh meat with it. If I don't have the boxed stuff, some regular white rice with a healthy dose of Tony Chachere's Seasoning, Louisiana style hot sauce, a couple of bay leafs and some diced onion garlic and bell pepper will work too.

Zat's Dirty Rice is just great. No reason for Hamburger Helper when you've got that ace up your sleeve.

żżż
03-16-2009, 02:10 PM
Guys,

I didn't realize this was baked ziti! I've never seen ziti with a layer of ricotta over the top. I came up with this because I got tired of having to layer lasagna noodles. THIS comes out just as good, and is way easier. I normally prepare my red sauce ala 'bolognese', but have put italian sausage in it also, and it's good.

I think I got a box of that 'Z' mixture in my pantry... [smiley=chowtime.gif]

CJC
03-16-2009, 03:03 PM
Dang, that's more cheese than pasta mooch! Are you sure? ;D ;D ;D

I got all the ingredients in the house. :o :o ;)

żżż
03-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Dang, that's more cheese than pasta mooch! Are you sure? ;D ;D ;D

I got all the ingredients in the house. *:o :o ;)

It's all good my lactose-intolerant brotha, it's all good.... 8-) :D

The pasta is pre-cooked weight too, so it'll easily double in weight and volume.

Mickey_Thomas
03-20-2009, 03:42 AM
Mooch, I've got one very similiar to yours but the pasta of choice is three cheese tortellini. * That is yummy with some garlic bread dripping with butter.
Is this what you do Dave, sitting around thinking of fatty foods you can't eat on your diet? :) You're a bad man Sup'D ;D

CHEESECAKELADY
03-22-2009, 11:51 AM
I love to cook but I too, keep some of these preboxed goodies in my pantry for quick fixes when I am in a hurry, don't feel well because of severe pain or when John needs to do the cooking on rare occassions. They really come in handy and taste like homemade when you add little touches of your own to them.

Dee