PDA

View Full Version : Preferred rod for ocean salmon trolling

Gypsie
03-06-2014, 12:35 PM
I'm pretty new to trolling for salmon in the ocean, but now have a boat and downriggers that will allow me to do just that. I've got plenty of river gear and basic rockfish gear, but was wondering if the "seasoned salts" amongst you would be willing to offer some thoughts on your preferred rod for ocean trolling would be to team up with an Avet MXL reel. Cheers, and thanks for your insights!

JB14
03-06-2014, 05:44 PM
For downriggers I use a shimano Clarus with ambassedeur 6500 C3 reels.

For dragging lead I run avet MX reels with okuma Cedros rods.

Gypsie
03-06-2014, 07:10 PM
JB, thanks for the reply! Care to elaborate on your rod choices?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JB14
03-06-2014, 08:08 PM
Honestly I don't know the specs on the rods. I'd have to get them out and look but they're on the boat which is on the water. Let me see if I can find something.

BDR
03-06-2014, 10:50 PM
I use a couple of g loomis rods, Vance's rods, shimano talora, and a lamiglas xcc 934 gh. By far my favorite rod for saltwater salmon is the lamiglas rod.

Gypsie
03-07-2014, 07:11 AM
JB - much appreciated!

BDR - I have a 7' one piece Inshore Classic Lami that I love for rock fishing and casting. Great fast action rod, but I was thinking of something along an 8' rod with moderate action might be a little more suited to trolling. With that said however, the Lami will definitely see some action on one of the downriggers. I just want to complete a second rig (which will become my primary one for trolling).

BDR
03-07-2014, 05:52 PM
Gypsie - the lami I referred to is over 9 ft and specifically designed for trolling herring on the Columbia or on the downrigger. I suggest you google the model number I listed above and read the comments you find. The rod is completely different than the 7 ft lami you have. I love the rod as do my buddies that fish with me.

Gypsie
03-10-2014, 07:02 AM
Gypsie - the lami I referred to is over 9 ft and specifically designed for trolling herring on the Columbia or on the downrigger. I suggest you google the model number I listed above and read the comments you find. The rod is completely different than the 7 ft lami you have. I love the rod as do my buddies that fish with me.

No worries! I googled it and the first thing I noticed about that rod I that it's listed as a "fresh water rod". And at 9 ft long, it is longer than what I want to deal with starting out. Nonetheless, this is valuable input for me as to the type of rod people experienced with downrigger fishing like to use.

bassman408
03-11-2014, 02:53 PM
I troll from a kayak, so I try to use 7-8ft rods. Here are my choices: 7ft - Seeker 270, Calstar 270, or Shimano Trevala. I also use a 7'9" MH Shimano Clarus on the downrigger.

All this salmon talk has got me excited...can't wait!!

Gypsie
03-12-2014, 08:17 AM
BDR,
Guess you planted a seed with the Xcc 934! As I still haven't settled on a rod for my pending downrigger ventures, I've continued doing more research. Low and behold, that particular rod you recommended keeps popping up at the top of the heap! Thankfully, it's not too late and since I love my other Lamiglas pole...

Thanks again to you and everyone else for taking the time to respond - Sniffers rock!

BDR
03-12-2014, 03:05 PM
Glad to help out Gypsie.

JB14
03-20-2014, 07:40 PM
So I'm going to do something different this year on my downriggers and river trolling for salmon.

2 sets of Tekota 500LC with 9' Lamiglas CG 90-DR. All in I'm at a little over $300/setup which isn't bad.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/21/ununemyp.jpg

For dragging lead I'll have Avet MX with 8'6" Okuma Cedros rods.

Troutbead
03-24-2014, 11:01 PM
Get a shimano a TDR 8'6" med heavy downriver rod. Cost you $30-35. Cheap but a great rod for starting out and it will do everything you ask for and more. You can always upgrade later. seriously before you by check them out. And stay away from any rod with cork handles they will get chewed up by the rod holders in very short order

Lyla&Jace
03-24-2014, 11:17 PM
I use the 8'6 Ugly Stick Lite salmon/steelhead rods for everything these days. Even monster Sturgeon. great rods

Gypsie
03-25-2014, 06:33 AM
Troutbead, that TDR sounds like a GREAT backup rod for trolling, or even a primary for those that fish hard and as such, are hard on their gear.

Reel-Ality, I use a couple of Ugly Sticks for rockfishing - they can definitely take the abuse.

I ended up with the Lamiglass Xcc 934 GH as my personal primary rig and will see if any of my other rods can fill in for backup duties. If not, I'll definitely keep the TDR or Ugly Stick in mind. How do we end up with so many rods anyway??? :rolleyes2:

I'm now on to researching flashers, hoochies, plugs, etc. Boy, talk about choices!

Thanks all for weighing in! Only 11 days to go!!

hanahou7
03-25-2014, 07:19 AM
Yea, I was planning on just using my 8'6" Ugly Sticks (Medium Heavy and Medium) to fish for ocean salmon. Hopefully these are good enough, but I'm not sure, as I've never caught a salmon on these.

I figure if they can handle sturgeon and stripers, they can probably handle salmon also.

Troutbead
03-26-2014, 09:28 AM
Yea, I was planning on just using my 8'6" Ugly Sticks (Medium Heavy and Medium) to fish for ocean salmon. Hopefully these are good enough, but I'm not sure, as I've never caught a salmon on these.

I figure if they can handle sturgeon and stripers, they can probably handle salmon also.

You can catch a salmon on a trout pole but that doesnt mean it is the rite tool for the job. you need a pole that has enough backbone to hnadle the salmon but also flexable enough to bend in a nice even arc when the line is attached to the release clip and the pole is under stress. im sure ur ugly stick will work just fine but not for the reasoning you can up with.:signfishon34hi6zv:

and if you are going to use bait stick with anchovies and herring in that order and leave the sardine for wrapping a kwikfish. there is a reason that people use they use anchovies and herring....

hanahou7
03-26-2014, 10:21 AM
Alrite, awesome. Thanks Troutbead!

yonnr2000
03-31-2014, 08:20 PM
I was shopping on amazon just now and I saw a 2 piece accudepth salmon downrigger rod by Daiwa for $24.70, 8'6" medium heavy action rated for 15-30lbs (addr862mh). I put it in my shopping cart but decided not to buy it. I also saw a Daiwa accudepth line counter reel size 27 for $34.99 which is an amazing price, but I passed on that too.

Seon
04-01-2014, 05:51 AM
I've been trolling the last three yrs with a Daiwa 8' Heartland downrigger trolling rod that I bought for about $35 and the largest Salmon boated was 40#. Bookoo 30#'ers and this will be my 4th yrs trolling with the same rod.

IMO for trolling, any rod that cost over $50 is a waste of $$. No finessing needed in trolling the ocean. Don't get me wrong, I own several GLoomis for lake and river fishing but for trolling...cheaper is better. It breaks, no biggie... go out an buy another one. Yes the high end rods have replacement warranty but you still have to pay for the replacement.

Skipjacker707
04-01-2014, 08:43 AM
+1 for what seon just said. 8' is all you need and you can get great trolling rods for 50$$. I know a lot of guys like to go buy the expensive rods but there's really not a need for that IMHO

wormyak
04-01-2014, 06:53 PM
I am going to get on the same boat as Seon and say "keep it cheap"! My wife and I use the 8 ft. Ugly Sticks and they work great. They take abuse, have the backbone when needed, they have a great hook setting spring back quality also. We will also be on our forth season with these rods and their still like new! Start cheap and work up! Too much other stuff to spend money on when it comes to Salmon season. Just get out there and get some fish.............

Gypsie
04-02-2014, 07:30 AM
I certainly echo the Ugly Stick sentiment, as I have several in my personal arsenal as the go-to do-everything backup rod. I hope to gain the experience this year to learn for myself, what works and why. So until that happens, all of this GREAT input is very much appreciated.

Now I just have to work on getting out there!!