PDA

View Full Version : Not to be forgotten

SuperDave
03-05-2009, 07:58 AM
Last night I clicked on page 17 of this forum and started back paging toward the front. There really are some tremendous recipes here and everyone should click deep into it every now and then just to be reminded of some of the great ones that slip to the back.

żżż
03-05-2009, 10:26 AM
SD,

Do you think it's worth compiling them into a book? That'd be a cool thing to have...

metalmouth
03-05-2009, 10:42 AM
The original idea was to compile a Sniffer Recipe Book but with the economy it may never happen.

tc
03-05-2009, 10:55 AM
The original idea was to compile a Sniffer Recipe Book but with the economy it may never happen.

I think that it's a great idea Don, maybe if someone just compiled all of them by topic and turned them into a PDF for the Sniffers viewing pleasure. Whose retired, and has time on his hands here?
:o :o :o :o

Tom

metalmouth
03-05-2009, 11:36 AM
Whose retired, and has time on his hands here?

I've heard the bad thing about retiring is then you never get off work! ;D

SuperDave
03-05-2009, 12:14 PM
When you read the campfire board, the number of out of work guys are starting to catch up to the number of retired guys. :(

tc
03-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Dave, how did the Chili turn out?
:P :P :P :P

Tom

żżż
03-05-2009, 12:33 PM

I think that it's a great idea Don, maybe if someone just compiled all of them by topic and turned them into a PDF for the Sniffers viewing pleasure. *Whose retired, and has time on his hands here?

Tom

This is easier said than done. It's actually a lot of work to compile, reformat, edit, standardize a layout,etc. I'd love to have something like this, but I'm not under the guise that this is a weekender type of project. It will take you many hours... :-/

I'm happy to contribute to putting something together, but I'm unable to devote the kind of time necessary to manage this project. If someone wants to 'just do it', go get 'em! Let me know how I can 'help'! ;)

tc
03-05-2009, 01:34 PM
I'm well aware that it could be a huge project, but perhaps we could get as many people as possible to submit their favorite recipes. *It's not that difficult to copy/paste and re-format text with most Microsoft Office products, I use Word, Excel and Publisher all the time. *Once everything is compiled perhaps the Mod's could Sticky the finished product at the top of this page, and allow modifications to it when new recipe's need to be added. *It would certainly be allot of work, but I think well worth it. *I can certainly devote some of my time to it.
:-? :-? :-? :-?

Tom

SuperDave
03-05-2009, 02:36 PM
To complicate things, this book wouldn't be able to be sold. Anyone involved would purely be donating.

CJC
03-05-2009, 03:04 PM
I have a better idea. Instead of making a book out of it a sortable index could be created in Excel with hiperlinks to the postings in this forum. ;)

tc
03-05-2009, 03:18 PM
I don't see a problem with that. There are quite allot of excellent cooks on this Site, and I think a compilation of everyone's favorites would make some enjoyable reading. I already have enough Cook Books to fill an average Apartment, but it never stops me from buying more of them, many have been handed down, many recipes are just scribbles on note cards or napkins. Just a thought.
:-?

Tom

tc
03-09-2009, 07:03 AM
I have a better idea. Instead of making a book out of it a sortable index could be created in Excel with hiperlinks to the postings in this forum. *;)
That would work as well, but I don't think it would be as nice as being able to peruse a compilation of Fishniffer Recipes in one spot.

Tom

Mickey_Thomas
03-09-2009, 07:46 AM
Maybe an FAQ section with everything put in categories, then I could steal them all easier and print a perfect cook book.
How does "Everything you wanted to cook from people who cook" ;D

żżż
03-09-2009, 08:38 AM
Forming an index in a spreadsheet would work, as long as you were online. How many recipes are we talking about here? 100? 1000? More?

I think TC has just volunteered to do all the reformatting. ;)

How 'bout starting a new thread 'The Official Sniffer Cookbook', sticky it, and insert recipes there? This would be a start towards compiling them into a single resource. We'd at least would have a single place to look for recipes. Not as nice in terms of searching in a 'real' cookbook (broken out into categories with table of contents, keyword indexing, etc.) but it's a step in the right direction. What do you think?

żżż
03-09-2009, 08:42 AM
I don't see a problem with that. *There are quite allot of excellent cooks on this Site, and I think a compilation of everyone's favorites would make some enjoyable reading. *I already have enough Cook Books to fill an average Apartment, but it never stops me from buying more of them, many have been handed down, many recipes are just scribbles on note cards or napkins. *Just a thought.
:-?

Tom

TC, I'm with you on that. I have more cookbooks than I can ever use in my lifetime. There are some that I've never even opened, but at the time I 'needed' it!!! ::)

I just haven't crossed the bridge where I can adequately use recipes in soft form. I guess once all my cookbooks are scanned and I've formed a master index on my entire library, I can leave all the books on the shelf. ;D

SuperDave
03-09-2009, 08:48 AM
I buy entire cookbooks for maybe 2 pictures I see in the book. I used to have a subscription to a cooking magazine and had piles of the magazines stored. So I sat down and tore the couple pages per magazine out I wanted and threw the rest of the magazine in the recycle.

tc
03-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Forming an index in a spreadsheet would work, as long as you were online. *How many recipes are we talking about here? *100? *1000? *More?

I think TC has just volunteered to do all the reformatting. *;)

How 'bout starting a new thread 'The Official Sniffer Cookbook', sticky it, and insert recipes there? *This would be a start towards compiling them into a single resource. *We'd at least would have a single place to look for recipes. *Not as nice in terms of searching in a 'real' cookbook (broken out into categories with table of contents, keyword indexing, etc.) but it's a step in the right direction. *What do you think?

I think that would be an excellent starting place, then everything would be in one place, instead of having to go through 17 odd pages from the past.

Tom

CJC
03-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Forming an index in a spreadsheet would work, as long as you were online. How many recipes are we talking about here? 100? 1000? More?

I think TC has just volunteered to do all the reformatting. ;)

How 'bout starting a new thread 'The Official Sniffer Cookbook', sticky it, and insert recipes there? This would be a start towards compiling them into a single resource. We'd at least would have a single place to look for recipes. Not as nice in terms of searching in a 'real' cookbook (broken out into categories with table of contents, keyword indexing, etc.) but it's a step in the right direction. What do you think?Is this sort of a FAQ thread? What exactly do you have in mind?

metalmouth
03-11-2009, 06:36 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to just post links to all of the different recipes like FAQ's on other board . . . ;)

żżż
03-11-2009, 06:48 PM
You know, even if all of the recipes were consolidated into a single thread, it's still a linear cookbook which stinks. Cookbooks need to be arranged like a reference, not a chapter book or blog.

Now, if we took your idea to hyperlink all the recipes in a spreadsheet, it's a short step to paste the recipes into worksheets organized by food category (meats, seafood, pasta and grains, etc.) and hyperlink to a worksheet cell. Essentially, you have an initial worksheet that is your table of contents of all the hyperlinks, that point to all the recipes in the other 'detail' worksheets.

Hmmmm. It's simple. It's portable. I'ts printable. It's easy to standardize the text. You can do word searches on the entire workbook and find every instance of say 'trout'.

What do you think about that? Does this description make sense?

MB_Kevin
03-11-2009, 07:09 PM
I was thinking like I think JT and MM were. *Sticky a topic named something like Fishsniffer's Recipes and have the name of the recipe as a link to the post all down in a line. *Organizing them would take more time but could probably be done.

I do think something like this is a great Idea and would make a great sticky!

MB_Kevin
03-11-2009, 08:09 PM
I made a quick sticky for an Idea of what I think would be cool. *It is only a test to see if that is something like what you were thinking of Mooch. We can change it out or modify it. It would need alot of work.

CJC
03-11-2009, 08:51 PM
It looks good MB. But it will require a lot of work to compile the all the recipes first. It will take hours if not days to do the whole thing.

CJC
03-11-2009, 08:59 PM
My idea is to find a file sharing site and store the excel file. The address of the file will be linked through a sticky thread. The address of each recipe will be linked by hyperlinks and can be accessed by clicking on the spread sheet.

The advantage of the excel file is that you can type in the recipes in any order and classify them by a cell in a column. Then the files are sort able and searchable.

In any case it requires hours of work.

żżż
03-11-2009, 09:08 PM
That sticky would work if you had around 100 recipes. Something tells me there are way more than that here.

JT - you are right. No way around the hours of work it will take! :o
There's gotta be an easy way to search on all the threads and get most of them without having to comb through every page of every possible thread... Yowch. [smiley=bricks.gif]

I'll make up the Excel workbook I'm thinking about using the current contents of the sticky so we have an apples to apples comparison.

BTW, who do you like to use for free file sharing?

CJC
03-11-2009, 09:46 PM
That sticky would work if you had around 100 recipes. Something tells me there are way more than that here.

JT - you are right. No way around the hours of work it will take! :o
There's gotta be an easy way to search on all the threads and get most of them without having to comb through every page of every possible thread... Yowch. [smiley=bricks.gif]

I'll make up the Excel workbook I'm thinking about using the current contents of the sticky so we have an apples to apples comparison.

BTW, who do you like to use for free file sharing?

I have found a way to copy the titles into a spreadsheet without much work and it copies the hyperlink in it too.

I used to have yahoo file cabinet but they are discontinuing that service. I don't know who else have it at this point.

My question to you guys is: What are the classifications you want to use? Are the ones MB used on the stickied thread good enough?

żżż
03-11-2009, 10:26 PM
I think MB's categories are pretty good. Sub categories might be necessary later depending on the quantity of recipes but we can cross that bridge at that time. It'll be easy to add/change stuff like that in a spreadsheet. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

CJC
03-11-2009, 11:19 PM
Okay mooch. I have done the easy part and have all the recipes with hyperlinks already. Who wants to categorize them and where are we going to store it. It's about 500 recipes.... ;D ;D ;D

Farrier_Frank
03-12-2009, 06:25 AM
Looks like a good start, MB. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

We'll just have to see how it evolves... probably need a smoker link since that seems to be the most talked about topic.

MB_Kevin
03-12-2009, 06:28 AM
Good Job guys. 500 recipes already :o! You don't need to go off of those categories I just pulled them off a Chinese restaurant menu last night to mess around with the idea. :P

Rusty_Hooks
03-12-2009, 07:21 AM
Great topic guys....only one thing...

If it's put in an excel file....you would have to have excel on the puter...no

for puter geeks...no prob...but for some...might be an issue

excel comes with office....but what are the percentages

It would seem that keeping the format uniform might be best...but I'm no geek....

mooch, what's the answer???

żżż
03-12-2009, 07:58 AM
Great topic guys....only one thing...

If it's put in an excel file....you would have to have excel on the puter...no

for puter geeks...no prob...but for some...might be an issue

excel comes with office....but what are the percentages

It would seem that keeping the format uniform might be best...but I'm no geek....

mooch, what's the answer???

Hey! *You implying that I am a geek and would know the answer? >:(

Dang, I guess it's true. *Gotta be me. http://fc38.deviantart.com/fs12/f/2006/330/b/4/Ultimate_Nerd_Smiley_by_Phoenix_Pyre.gif :)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1CD6ACF9-CE06-4E1C-8DCF-F33F669DBC3A&displaylang=en

You won't be able to edit the file, but at least you can access it. *8-)

tc
03-12-2009, 08:28 AM
This is starting to show alot of promise.
:P :P :P :P
Tom

żżż
03-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Well, if we can settle on a set of categories (I'm OK with the Chinese restaurant standard!), and divvy up the 500 recipes between 5 or more people who have Excel, we can get this taken care of pretty quickly. Then once they are all categorized I or someone else can merge the info together into a master file.

I don't mind taking 100 and/or doing the merging. If we have each category have its own worksheet, it would make the merging/cut/paste job easy.

JT, you makin' the Excel file and sending it out? :)

CJC
03-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Here is the first try:

http://www.mediafire.com/?om3ojtn0ztn

I have categorized it the best I could. I'll let you guys play with it and get back to me. ;)

żżż
03-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Got the file. Looks like some of the links are not to actual recipes, but of posts suggesting you try this or that. Hmmm. Might be good in a 'tips and tricks' section...

OK. Reorganized it according to categories and gave each their own worksheet.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/n2dwi4ma3ww/FSRecipes_II.xls

The only thing missing is the title of the recipe that each link points to!

CJC
03-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Got the file. Looks like some of the links are not to actual recipes, but of posts suggesting you try this or that. Hmmm. Might be good in a 'tips and tricks' section...

OK. Reorganized it according to categories and gave each their own worksheet.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/n2dwi4ma3ww/FSRecipes_II.xls

The only thing missing is the title of the recipe that each link points to!

The trouble I see in organizing it with their own work sheets is it'll be high maintenance. Instead of updating one sheet now you have to do 7 or 8. Remember that someone has to maintain it after it's been created.

żżż
03-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Once everything is formatted - you're done. The only 'maintenance' you have to do with it is whenever you want to add additional recipes you update the respective sheet. This is a reference, so it's not dynamic in its content. I'm also trying to consider how one will want to use this. I know if it were me, I would rather see info sub-categorized vs. a master list. It's just easier to find stuff, especially if we're talking about hundreds of records to sort through in a long list. Not knocking what you did - it was huge to get all that info out of the boards. :)

Either way, there's a lot of work to be done still. I'm curious to know what you did to extract the contents.

CJC
03-12-2009, 01:12 PM
;D ;D ;D

Mooch

You just earned yourself the honorable title of "Keeper of the Spreadsheet". ;D ;D ;D

Why don't you start a new thread with the link to it and I will sticky it up. :D ;D ;)

CJC
03-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Oh yea. All I did was copy and paste directly from Explorer to Excel. Then it was a lot of manipulation to get rid of the HTML stuff. ;)

żżż
03-12-2009, 02:47 PM
Well, what you the rest of you think? Have you had a chance to look at the files yet?

Rusty_Hooks
03-12-2009, 05:15 PM
WOW......

I took a look at cpjt's first shot and that was great :o

I'm onto Mooch's now....what a great resource.....that's a partial, right?..did I stumble onto an update file??...and how easy would it for someone to plant an "extra ingredient" in the file?...security?

Now if I can just get rid of the "Love Compatability Calculator" that came along with the recipes....

I guess if you live in the kitchen you have to put up with the cookies :D ;D

CJC
03-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Rusty

There might be a lot of recipes still unclassified because the tittle did not lend to an easy classification. Someone has to read each of those threads and determine where they belong.

As far as security, here is a rating of the host site:

http://www.freefilehosts.com/

You guys tell me, cause I am not a network security person. But mooch may be more qualified to answer that question.

CJC
03-12-2009, 11:08 PM
I'm onto Mooch's now....what a great resource.....that's a partial, right?..did I stumble onto an update file??
I was going to answer that and forgot about it. It is the same file I did but it has been reformatted.

Rusty_Hooks
03-13-2009, 07:21 AM
After reading Mediafire's caution....it may be wise to save a copy of the final draft....just in case

Just a side note......This works like a charm in it's current state....

the wifee was looking for a beer batter recipe for this evening....I pulled one from the file and printed it up before she had a chance to start with the book 8-)....

CJC
03-13-2009, 07:43 AM
We need some input as to the format guys.

Rusty_Hooks
03-13-2009, 08:03 AM
how hard would a search function be to associate with the file......

just a question ::)

I think the format you have works well now....at 500...if it gets to 5000...linked headings....or just file headings up on the first page....?

never satisfied.... ::)....just thinking down the road...a little ;)

CJC
03-13-2009, 08:19 AM
I don't think the number of data points is a problem with excel. Where I would see a problem is the download time. Right now it is 500k or so in size and the download time is reasonable. But I have files in my computer with a few megabite and that might take some time to download. Specially if you have a dial up service. ;D ;D ;D

żżż
03-13-2009, 08:25 AM
how hard would a search function be to associate with the file......

just a question ::)

I think the format you have works well now....at 500...if it gets to 5000...linked headings....or just file headings up on the first page....?

never satisfied.... ::)....just thinking down the road...a little ;)
Excel has a search function built into it. You can search on any word, across any worksheet or the entire workbook. The idea of having all of the recipes local (in the spreadsheet vs. online on the forum) is so that if you knew what ingredient was in a certain recipe but forgot who wrote it or what the name of the recipe was, you could still easily find it. And in fact, you'd find every occurence of that ingredient across all recipes! BUT, that's a lot more work because you'd have to go to EVERY hyperlink and copy the specific content to a cell in the spreadsheet, then make a bookmark to that cell (which is your 'hyperlink' to the recipe). In the end I think it's worth doing, but if you guys are happy with how it is now since we have something that gives us access to the content, we could call it a day! ;)

We need to determine what are the important elements we want to keep in this spreadsheet. For me, all I care about is the name of the recipe and a link to it - categorized so it's easier to find. This will make it a lot cleaner and easier to read. What do you think?

żżż
03-13-2009, 08:30 AM
I don't think the number of data points is a problem with excel. Where I would see a problem is the download time. Right now it is 500k or so in size and the download time is reasonable. But I have files in my computer with a few megabite and that might take some time to download. Specially if you have a dial up service. *;D ;D ;D

The size definitely makes it easy to download now. It'd be a one-time deal though, not something you'd download repeatedly. So even if it ended up being a 30MB download, not a big deal for anyone with a broadband connection. If you had dial-up, it'd take longer but you'd initiate that say, right before you went to bed. ;D ;D ;D You know the drill... :D

I don't see this as something that we'll update constantly. Moving forward, an annual update sounds like it might be nice. Anyway, I think I'm getting ahead of myself. ::)

CJC
03-13-2009, 08:31 AM
I have corrected some errors and added some new data in my version. Here is the new file.

FSRECIPES (http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=3ed2340fd48c2c656e7203eb87368129e04e75f6 e8ebb871)

Rusty_Hooks
03-13-2009, 09:21 AM
I just downloaded it to a new office computer....less than 15 secs

It works great.....

Sticky that puppy....

One of you two should announce it on the campfire board so the rest of the sniffers...that don't frequent the kitchen, know that it's there....

Thanks a bunch to both of you....anything to make life easier ::)

who knows....there may be a mad rush for the kitchen

CJC
03-13-2009, 10:43 AM
For me, all I care about is the name of the recipe and a link to it - categorized so it's easier to find. This will make it a lot cleaner and easier to read. What do you think?
That is true, but someone has to go fetch it from each thread. Too much work for me. And I know that making guidelines for the users to name the recipes properly just won't work. Look what happened to the initial guidelines when this forum started out.... :P

CJC
03-13-2009, 10:45 AM
I just downloaded it to a new office computer....less than 15 secs

It works great.....

Sticky that puppy....

One of you two should announce it on the campfire board so the rest of the sniffers...that don't frequent the kitchen, know that it's there....

Thanks a bunch to both of you....anything to make life easier ::)

who knows....there may be a mad rush for the kitchen
I think the whole campfire board went to Del Valle already. ;D ;D ;D

żżż
03-13-2009, 12:04 PM
At this point, something is 100X better than the 'nothing' we had a couple of days ago!

Unless there are those that are interested in going the extra mile to fetch all the recipes, one at a time, I think we have what we need in two different forms. Put a fork in it, as they say! 8-) ;D 8-)

MB_Kevin
03-13-2009, 07:20 PM
That looks great guys! 8-)

żżż
03-14-2009, 10:20 AM
What do you guys think of having a sticky of recipes from this point forward, the same way we have one for photos of trophy fish? The we can incorporate them into the excel file periodically without having to do the WHOLE thing over. So the thought is to form a sticky that gets absorbed into the file, then start a new sticky...

Rusty_Hooks
03-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Sounds great Mooch...

SuperDave
03-15-2009, 07:09 PM
who'd a thunk this is what i'd of started? *gentlemen, we just went to the next level. * :)

żżż
03-19-2009, 10:16 AM
Next level +1...

The recipe index has now been published online for your convenience. *It was pretty easy to do, and as we have additional revisions to the file, we can re-publish pretty easily. *

Now go cook something! * *;)

Recipes on one sheet:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pC81vmJCz2Uq8UOoTIYf9EA

Recipes on categorized sheets (which also includes them on one master sheet):
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pC81vmJCz2UquPGDgInXDLg

To jump to a recipe, you need to click on the cell that normally has the hyperlink, then click on the little box that comes up to the left of the cell...

Prowler
03-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Wow :o That is sweet! Thanks for all the work you guys put into this [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

SuperDave
03-19-2009, 02:34 PM
The top link doesn't let me in. Do we have to sign up or something?

metalmouth
03-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Incredible job! That is so cool! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

CJC
03-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Next level +1...
I like that host! Gloogles does it again! Good job mooch!

CJC
03-19-2009, 04:14 PM
The top link doesn't let me in. Do we have to sign up or something?
I didn't have any problems with the links Dave.

Farrier_Frank
03-19-2009, 04:49 PM
The top link doesn't let me in. *Do we have to sign up or something?

I have the same question... do we have to sign up or something?

metalmouth
03-19-2009, 05:01 PM
The top link doesn't let me in. *Do we have to sign up or something?

I have the same question... do we have to sign up or something?

If you don't have excel on your computer you may have to download freeware for excel reading. As the name implys there is no cost.

żżż
03-19-2009, 05:16 PM
Hi all,

Sorry about the confusion there. I stumbled on GoogleDocs today and was so excited, I posted up before I finished! Apparently I had to 'share it with the world' before you all could see it.

Try the links at the top of this page again. Worked for me without signing in. I don't think it requires any kind of viewer either (but I could be wrong). :-[ :)

CJC
03-19-2009, 05:39 PM
I was going to edit the FAQ's to reflect this new site. But if some people have troubles using it I'll have to keep the other files in place. So please let me know one way or the other.

żżż
03-19-2009, 05:44 PM
I was going to edit the FAQ's to reflect this new site. But if some people have troubles using it I'll have to keep the other files in place. So please let me know one way or the other.

I added a post to the sticky with the links in it. If it works I guess it should be unified. Have you tried it JT?

CJC
03-19-2009, 05:52 PM
They work for me. I have had no problems from the start and I don't have an account with Google. So I don't know why Dave and Frank are having problems.

MB_Kevin
03-19-2009, 07:55 PM
I did have to sign up to see the ones from before. Now I can see the link fine. But maybe if I had not signed up before it might have been a problem. If it is just sign up. ;) Looks great guys. I will have to start posting all my recipes so I will always have a place to find them. ;D :D

Prowler
03-19-2009, 10:31 PM
I will have to start posting all my recipes so I will always have a place to find them.
That's a good idea. Last weekend, when I was making broccoli soup to go with chicken tortilla casserole, I couldn't remember which soups and how much went into the casserole. I looked for the recipe I had written down, but couldn't find it. I then typed it into the search function here, and printed it out (which I should have done first, since it took about one minute from start to finish).

So....Can anybody add to the spreadsheets? ::)

CJC
03-19-2009, 11:40 PM
So....Can anybody add to the spreadsheets? ::)Prowler, We will probably update the files on a monthly basis. The broccoli soup is still in the first page and your casserole dish is already on the spread sheet. I guess you didn't look hard enough? ;)

Prowler
03-20-2009, 12:38 AM
So....Can anybody add to the spreadsheets? ::)Prowler, We will probably update the files on a monthly basis. The broccoli soup is still in the first page and your casserole dish is already on the spread sheet. I guess you didn't look hard enough? ;)

I did look (at home, where I couldn't find it) and found it here, where I printed it out ;) It was pretty convenient ;) :) :) and I was thinking about putting a whole lot more on here, so I wouldn't have to go searching again :-[

żżż
03-20-2009, 05:59 AM
Prowler,

If you'd like to take the next edit and add recipes, be my guest. Follow the link that JT put up to download the files, then you have a copy of it. I can help post it on Google Docs later, or you can sign up for it and post the next revision for viewing!

Monthly JT? I was thinking this would be an annual sort of thing! :)

CJC
03-20-2009, 06:34 AM
Monthly JT? I was thinking this would be an annual sort of thing! :)
We should do an update while we still remember what is the recipe is all about without having the look it up. After a year I know I won't remember a thing! [smiley=old.gif] ;D ;D ;D

żżż
03-20-2009, 07:59 AM
I suggested this once before, but for recipes that we want to have indexed, could we start a sticky thread with recipes only? It'd make incorporating into the index WAY easy. And for those that don't choose to use it, it's a central place to look at recipes (albeit in a linear fashion). Kinda the same idea behind the trophy threads where people post their trophy pictures.

What do you think? :-?

CJC
03-20-2009, 09:13 AM
If it's going to be all in one thread then I see 2 problems with that.

Updating the spread sheet will have to be a manual process (Not copy and paste of a whole page, not sure of this yet).

People will chit chat in the thread making the identification of the recipe post difficult.

If it is a thread for each recipe, I can see a couple of problems there also.

It will fill up the first page and anything non recipe (like a fish cleaning question or a bbq of choice question) will be hidden behind.

Someone has to sticky them up so it is a constant update process.

CJC
03-20-2009, 09:32 AM
I think you need to understand how I compiled all the data so quickly so you can tell what is the best process.

What I did is to go to each page on the board (must be done in IE) and select all the topics.

Copy and then paste into Excel.

To be able to manipulate the data properly unmerge all the cells in this sheet. Number each row to keep them in the same order then sort them by the title column. This allows you to get rid of the bottom cells that have no value to our spread sheet.

To get rid of the unwanted info on each column select all the data of interest and make a copy. Then paste special, values only on a different page. To get the Hyperlinks in again, copy the hyperlink column and do a normal paste on the new sheet.

Since you cant erase the columns with the HTML features embedded to them I separated the columns that have them and the new columns that did not have them. Copy those and paste to a new page. Now I have a clean sheet of data and I proceeded to sort them out according to their content.

The old sheet is then deleted.

This process can be done to the new page/pages only and those that repeat can be deleted easily by sorting and comparing when doing an update. It should not take more than 15 minutes each update.

metalmouth
03-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Wow! That is impressive. [smiley=worthy.gif] [smiley=yikes.gif] [smiley=worthy.gif]

tc
03-20-2009, 02:16 PM
[smiley=worthy.gif] [smiley=worthy.gif] [smiley=worthy.gif] [smiley=worthy.gif] [smiley=worthy.gif] [smiley=worthy.gif]

There's some talent hear, no doubt.

Tom

Rusty_Hooks
03-20-2009, 03:48 PM
Wow! That is impressive. *[smiley=worthy.gif] [smiley=yikes.gif] [smiley=worthy.gif]

[smiley=worthy.gif] [smiley=worthy.gif] [smiley=worthy.gif] [smiley=worthy.gif] [smiley=worthy.gif] [smiley=worthy.gif]

There's some talent hear, no doubt.

Tom

you guys are awesome :D :D :D :D ::) :D :D :D :D

TMI.....my brain is already full.....at this age what goes in pushes out other stuff which may be valuable....but I can't remember :-/ ;)

CJC
03-20-2009, 04:28 PM
LOL!

Thanks guys!