PDA

View Full Version : Cooking with soda

DazShooter
03-06-2009, 09:00 AM
When you guys boil fish with Seven-Up, bake a ham with Coca Cola, smoke a bird with Root Beer, have you ever tried using Diet versions? Does it taste ok? Not as good? Do you really need the High Fructose Corn Syrup to sweeten the meats?

The wife and I switched to drinking the diet stuff recently, so we don't have any regular around the house anymore. Is it worth a trip to the store to get the "real deal"?

SuperDave
03-06-2009, 09:28 AM
It might depend on which of those cooking activities you listed that you were planning. We drink diet too but I'll buy a liter of the real thing when I'm planning on using it for the crock pot. In my mind, the soda does 2 things, sweetens and tenderizes. I would think that diet with carbonation would break the meat down equally well as regular. That said, you could use a diet soda and just add a little white or brown sugar.

Jetspray
03-06-2009, 06:24 PM
You could also add some Splenda to sweet'en it up as well.....Jetspray

office_pirate79
03-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Hey Daz...if you're going to be cooking with soda, I'd go full bore. *The flavor will be more robust and the food will have a proper texture. *Same thing goes for cooking with beer. *If you're going to commit sacrilege and drink light beer, that's fine. *But don't go ruining a pack of brats by boiling them in slightly stained carbonated water.

Plus, diet soda isn't any better for you than regular soda, so you'll be perfectly OK. *However, that might be another discussion for another time.

At any rate, since cooking with "the real deal" once in a while won't hurt you or make you switch back to it as your beverage of choice, you might as well make some good food *;).

OP

Farrier_Frank
03-09-2009, 05:55 AM
Hey Daz...if you're going to be cooking with soda, I'd go full bore... Same thing goes for cooking with beer.

[smiley=thumbsup.gif] You got that right.

DazShooter
03-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the input guys. My hunch was right, go full bore.

I also don't think diet soda is any better for you. Water, iced tea or beer are "healthier" choices. But I'm just keeping up with cutting out as much high fructose corn syrup as I can. You'd be suprised how much stuff (processed food) has it as a main ingredient.

żżż
03-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the input guys. My hunch was right, go full bore.

I also don't think diet soda is any better for you. Water, iced tea or beer are "healthier" choices. But I'm just keeping up with cutting out as much high fructose corn syrup as I can. You'd be suprised how much stuff (processed food) has it as a main ingredient.

Another way to cut out the high fructose corn syrup is to use carbonated fruit juice drinks. 100% juice, just carbonated! Or you could do the same thing with a bottle of soda water and some fruit juice concentrate. I've done that before, with great results.

But, there's no substitute for stuff like Coke, Dr. Pepper, or A&W which BTW, make great glazes... ;)

DazShooter
03-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Good idea Mooch. Diet soda isn't that great, I just NEED the caffiene. :o Diet Dr. Pepper is ok, the rest are pretty bad. If you're talking about A&W root beer, I'm more than willing to go regular for that. It's worth it!

ratss427
03-16-2009, 07:56 PM
when i smoke pork ribs or pork butt.i like to occasionally spray it with a mixture of coca cola and apple cider vinegar!sweet and savory!mmmm

Bakkie
03-16-2009, 10:49 PM
A little off topic, but once at deer camp my uncle made 2 beer can chickens with Budweiser, and a third one with off brand lemon lime soda, the soda one was gross. Never make beer can chicken with any type of lemon lime soda. ;D

OhSoSaucy151
03-20-2009, 10:57 AM
My next fish cook, is going to be boiling it with 7up.

Not diet though, i just cant see it tasting right, cooked.