PDA

View Full Version : San Pablo Monsters, Get'em

SierraJetSledder
03-08-2014, 01:23 PM
Got out to San Pablo with some good help from the staff.
Be sure your boat is perfectly dry, they are very strict... but it's worth it.. as follows...

I hooked a monster trolling a firetiger Rapala J7.
Big runs and headshakes... the biggest rainbow I've ever seen in CA... wait anywhere.
Salmon size. I've caught a 5lb bow before and this was over twice as big.

Water was very murky... just before the fish came into view, my buddy prematurely stabbed the net into the murky water! No fish in sight yet!
My heart sank, as I then saw the immense trout, well over 10lb, perhaps 15, underneath the net, with the net pushing down on it!

My friend gave the trout several spankings with the net as I watched in horror, powerless and equally in awe of the immense size of the fish and the behavior of the man with the net. In perfect cadence with the third spanking of the net, the giant trout vanished as if it were Houdini. I considered jumping in after it since I figured I could still grab for the flashers it had taken along with it.

I'm not sure what the lesson is, but I want to go back. I was amazed at how easy it was to hook this giant fish; I had only been trolling for 15 minutes. Get'em.

Sorry no picture, here is a shot of a 5lb bow, the fish in this story was twice as big as the one shown below:

alucardbear
03-08-2014, 10:46 PM
Yea there some monster in that reservoir. I caught some really nice fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

drinkinbuddy
03-09-2014, 06:51 PM
I have personally seen double digit trout come from there on more than one occasion, persistence is going to be the key.

mikeandkristy
03-09-2014, 09:00 PM
I lost several monster trout right at the boat at SP but was lucky enough to bag a few. Fun lake until the weather heats up and the trout are gone until the next year. Great write up and the one pic is very nice.
Kristy.

Troutbead
03-10-2014, 08:56 AM
I wood have made your buddy swim back to the ramp.

sja
03-10-2014, 09:07 AM
I wood have made your buddy swim back to the ramp.

Definitely take him off "net duty" for a while.

sarahpee
03-10-2014, 10:22 AM
Im thinking of the poor trout swimming around trying to feed with a set of flashes dragging behind it....that guy ought to have his net operators permit revolked.....probably dead by now cause it can't support the weight & is now at the bottom of the lake.

Dustriver
03-22-2014, 12:49 PM
Nice :smiley: