PDA

View Full Version : Night fishing at Lake Amador??

Fish_Slayer1
03-08-2014, 02:52 PM
I've always wanted to try night fishing at Lake Amador but I don't know if it's any good for trout at night or if you can even fish there at night?? Any suggestions or tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

redneckpunk
03-08-2014, 03:02 PM
Never done it but do know its allow. Ive been told off the boat dock can be very productive. Ask me again after next weekend and i may have more info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

49erbassman
03-08-2014, 03:05 PM
Warm summer nights= big blue catfish.....not sure about the trout bite at night. Never heard of folks fishing for trout at night.

Fish on!

Fish_Slayer1
03-08-2014, 03:10 PM
Thanks RnP. I'll ask you again and hopefully I'll get good news

fish-on!
03-08-2014, 03:21 PM
Can be very productive. Went out with 3 boats tied together. Each boat dropped a light in the water and it was easy limits for all fishing. Kids had a blast. Strange tho as the last three times we tried it we couldn't even get a bite? Night crawler with just a small splitshot to get it down just below the light.

Fish_Slayer1
03-08-2014, 03:33 PM
Can be very productive. Went out with 3 boats tied together. Each boat dropped a light in the water and it was easy limits for all fishing. Kids had a blast. Strange tho as the last three times we tried it we couldn't even get a bite? Night crawler with just a small splitshot to get it down just below the light.

Thanks. That sounds pretty cool. Do you think it'll work off the boat docks? I think I will be giving that a try

fish-on!
03-08-2014, 03:36 PM
Yes, the docks do well too. Even w crappie. It's all timing tho. Some nights it's easy limits and other times its nothing. You will def need a light in or on the water if night fishing.

Fish_Slayer1
03-08-2014, 03:52 PM
Yes, the docks do well too. Even w crappie. It's all timing tho. Some nights it's easy limits and other times its nothing. You will def need a light in or on the water if night fishing.

Thanks a lot!! I gotta give it a shot

D Fish
03-08-2014, 04:07 PM
Thanks. That sounds pretty cool. Do you think it'll work off the boat docks? I think I will be giving that a try

Easy limits! I tried it last year around this time at Amador for the first time and we killed it all on the dock.. It can be really fun when fish are biting.. The float lights attract the shad which attract the trout.. I will be trying it soon, going sturgeon fishing Monday.. Then going to plan a night to hit Amador.. Good luck! Oh yea try peach pb, that was our ticket.. Caught a couple on live minnows also..

PapaGreg
03-08-2014, 06:44 PM
fish_slayer, not sure what you're targeting, but years ago I fished catfish at night from my boat, live minnows (when Amador had them) were the hot ticket! The son-in-law and I caught 8 catfish one night that weighed 57 pounds total!!!!!!!!

D Fish
03-08-2014, 07:25 PM
[ Strange tho as the last three times we tried it we couldn't even get a bite? Night crawler with just a small splitshot to get it down just below the light.[/QUOTE]

Hey fish-on, was it this year you guy's limited at night? and also the next three times you tried you were skunked?? That happened to me and a buddy last year, we killed it the first time trying Off the dock! Then decided to try it a couple more times the following week for only 5 fish between the next two outings.. 4 on the next trip, then one on our last trip.. Amador's trout bite can be really weird.. IMO I cant wait to give it a shot next week, especially with these bigger fish they've been planting lately.. I cant make it to the derby next Sat. but will most likely be there Mon. night.. So everyone fishing from now until then, save me one of those bigger fish! hahaha

D Fish
03-08-2014, 07:46 PM
fish_slayer, not sure what you're targeting, but years ago I fished catfish at night from my boat, live minnows (when Amador had them) were the hot ticket! The son-in-law and I caught 8 catfish one night that weighed 57 pounds total!!!!!!!!

Papa Greg that is awesome! that's a nice 7lb average! Cant complain about that.. I believe the op is targeting trout.. I never really tried fishing for cats at Amador, I know there are some BIG ones in there.. I have seen cats pushing 30lbs+ caught out of there.. I just may give it a shot sometime.. My biggest went 8lbs on cut bait fishing the water behind Lake Natoma that runs underneath the bike trail bridge..

CAL.NDN
03-08-2014, 08:07 PM
Of the docks under the light can.be slamming good time. Or as another mentioned anchored with a light. Good luck.

Fish_Slayer1
03-08-2014, 08:50 PM
Wow with all these great post, I'm now dying to go out there and give it a try. Thanks everyone!

Fish_Slayer1
03-08-2014, 09:52 PM

I'm targeting trout. I wouldn't mind catching some cats also but I'll just be banking

PapaGreg
03-09-2014, 12:04 PM
You can catch cats from the bank, especially at night! They like to cruise the shore/shallows at night looking for an easy meal.

ej22t
03-09-2014, 09:52 PM
I go to amador at night quite often. You can show up any time, I've arrived as late as 1am. If you show up at night the gate at the bottom is closed, you just pull up and some one will come over. It says to honk but I've never had to someone always comes from the little house. If you come at night it is nice to have exact change so they don't have to go back to the house for change. The cafe/shop at the top by the lake is closed at night so be sure to bring what ever you're going to need (tackle, food, drinks) I was camped there friday night, tied the boat up by the camp site. woke up at 3am and went trolling. I've also fished from the dock. not much luck trolling at night and the trout bite is slower at night. I've never caught anything from the dock at night but I have in the back coves by where the rivers come in.

D Fish
03-09-2014, 10:02 PM
I go to amador at night quite often. I was camped there friday night, tied the boat up by the camp site. woke up at 3am and went trolling. I've also fished from the dock. not much luck trolling at night and the trout bite is slower at night. I've never caught anything from the dock at night but I have in the back coves by where the rivers come in.

Float lights are key at Amador when fishing for the trout at night, and not sure moving on the water at night is allowed? I thought it wasn't? If its allowed, sweet!

ej22t
03-10-2014, 02:53 AM
Float lights are key at Amador when fishing for the trout at night, and not sure moving on the water at night is allowed? I thought it wasn't? If its allowed, sweet!

Hmmm... I never thought about that... I've brought my boat and talked to the guy at the bottom gate about how I was going for some late night trolling and he didn't say anything. I'll ask next time I'm out there.

PapaGreg
03-10-2014, 05:56 AM
You can use your boat at night, just make sure you have the proper lights. I've seen bass boats fishing there at night.

D Fish
03-10-2014, 07:11 AM
You can use your boat at night, just make sure you have the proper lights. I've seen bass boats fishing there at night.

Well there's our answer ej22t.. Thanks PG! I am going to have to try it sometime, not sure if I would troll though when fishing night for trout.. I would hit different spots with the float lights and soak bait.. IMO