PDA

View Full Version : Trolling speed rapalas, and other ?

lucky318
03-08-2014, 09:18 PM
We'll iam going to Folsom tomarrow, in the morning I bought trolling rods, and some f7 rapalas jointed and unjointed what speed should I troll the jointed and unjointed rapalas do I need to troll them at different speeds? I also bought some 8 pound maxima for leader material how long should the leader be, can I use a dura lock swivel for connecting the lure, sorry for all the questions if anybody wants to come and join me I'll be at Folsom when gates open, boat is a 16ft grey and blue Lund with a 60hp merc and a 9.9 merc Bigfoot kicker. My name is Eric, Thanks

Line Stretcher
03-08-2014, 09:50 PM
You've asked a question with a lot of variables. I run Rapalas at many different speeds and with my rod tip in many different postions.

You have to find the fish first so what I like to do is try to provoke a reaction strike when I'm on the search. I'll run the Rap off my mono mainline with no leader and either a Surgeons loop or a duo-lock. If you tend to change up often go with the duo lock. Rap's don't spin so you don't really need a swivel but it doesn't seem to make a difference. If you have braid on your reel then you should use a leader and I like them to be no more than twice the length of my rod. Everybody has their favorite leader lengths and over time you'll develop yours too.

When I'm on the hunt, I'll run as fast as 5 mph with my rod tip up high. Once I see the fish on the finder I'll slow down and watch my rod tip. I seem to do best when the tip is bouncing about medium. If you watch it when your going fast it will bounce so fast it won't look like it's moving at all. If you slow way down it will almost stop bouncing. Somewhere in the middle of that is what I like. It's usually about 1.75 mph, which, coincidentally is what Rapala recommends on their packaging.

When my rod tip is up high, the Rap runs in the top 2-3ft of water but when I lower it down it will run in about 9-10ft of water. You can watch your finder and play with the rod angle to dial in the depth you want it to run. I like to run just above the fish I'm seeing on the finder. This way they hit it from below and often get both hooks.

Hope that helps with some of your questions.

redneckpunk
03-08-2014, 10:01 PM
Dang Steve, don't think you could have gotten more detailed without tying his knots for him. LOL!! J/K! Great details on dialing them in,

Only thing I can add is if you're not getting bit when you're seeing fish, don't be afraid to adjust the speed. Everyone has a preference doing this. For me, I will try a tad faster first. Other variables that might also entice a strike is zig-zag or even a stop and go method. Both those will suspend and drop the lures. Trial and error.

~RNP

lucky318
03-09-2014, 10:59 AM
Well made to Folsom by 7:00 trolling by the dam now jointed raps at 1.9 mph nothing yet.

lucky318
03-09-2014, 04:26 PM
Ended up leaving Folsom around 4:00 with nothing. It was a beautiful day though. Trolled by the dam to granite bay launch ramp. Trolled straight rapalas at 3.0mph and jointed at 1.7 to 2.0 mph. 150 165 feet line out. Thanks everyone !! Are their other areas I should try?