PDA

View Full Version : Awesome sauce for fish tacos

Troutcoach
03-14-2006, 03:20 PM
I found this recipe online yesterday and tried it on some fish (cod) tacos and it was awesome!

1/2 cup plain yogurt
Dollop of Mayo
Dollop of Sour cream
1/2 to 3/4 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. dill
1/4 tsp cayenne
juice from 1 lime
salt to taste

This is the best sauce for fried fish tacos I have ever had. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

SuperDave
03-14-2006, 03:38 PM
I wonder if cilantro could be added or substituted for the dill?

What else did you garnish with?

YakMotor
03-15-2006, 12:43 AM
That does look like a good combo to gooey-up some crispy fried fish chunks. Yeah, tell us more about how you make your fish tacos. I've been disappointed with most store bought ones. Maybe it's time to try making them myself.

SuperDave
03-15-2006, 07:42 AM
The best fish tacos I've ever had was from a place in south shore Tahoe called Riva Bar & Grill. On Fridays for Happy Hour they have fish tacos made from Mahi Mahi and their special salsa topping.

Troutcoach
03-15-2006, 08:17 AM
What else did you garnish with?

Garnished with shredded cabbage, avacado slices, and the special sauce. *Man it was gooooooood.

Yeah, tell us more about how you make your fish tacos.

I used this recipe and was very very happy with it.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/103714

I've only made this recipe once, but it has become a family favorite already. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

cuhogn
03-15-2006, 09:02 AM
TC
We use a sauce very very close to what you have listed and are happy with it, what we have done at times is to get some cajun beer batter mix from safeway and used it on the trout, gives the tacos a little zing.

YakMotor
03-15-2006, 09:56 AM
Well, I got the tortillas so that's a start! Yummmm sounds good with the spiced-up Cajun zing! THANKS!

Troutcoach
03-15-2006, 11:50 AM
get some cajun beer batter mix from safeway and used it on the trout, gives the tacos a little zing.

That does sound good. Probably similar to the fried fish taco recipe from above.

Ironhead
03-15-2006, 12:12 PM
The recipe sounds real good. You could also substitute any kind of white fish, and I am sure it would be excellent. Can't wait to try it.

Ironhead

Hogsbro
04-18-2006, 03:50 PM
I also use a similar sauce on fish tacos, except for the dill, I'll have to try that. The best fish that I've had for fish tacos is BBQ sturgeon...It is yummy any way you eat it!

TP
04-21-2006, 04:33 PM
Doc Stressor make the best fish taco's I've ever had. You need to hit him up for his recepie

aintscared
05-04-2006, 10:04 AM
FRIED ROCKCOD, SIMPLE COLESLAW RECIPE( 1 HEAD CABBAGE,SLICED THIN *1 CUP BESTFOODS MAYO, 1/4 CUP SUGAR, 1/4 WHITE VINEGAR AND KICK IT UP A NOTCH BY ADDING 1/4 TSP OF CAYENNE) TAKE FRIED CORN TORTILLA ADD COD, TOP WITH SLAW AND GARNISH WITH CHOPPED ONIONS AND CILANTRO... SERVE WITH SIDE OF SLAW AND BAKED SPICED POTATOE WEDGES... *;) ITS YUMMY AND EASY !! PS.... TROUTCOACH YOUR SAUCE RECIPE SOUNDS REALLY GOOD, IM GONNA HAVE TO WHIP SOME UP AND TRY IT OUT :D AINTSCARED

Linesider
05-04-2006, 08:34 PM
If you like fish tacos, try this...it is definately worth the effort...this will blow Emeril's mind!

Cilantro Sauce:
1 bunch cilantro, long stems removed
1/4 cup mayo
1/4 cup sour cream
1 clove garlic, pressed or finely chopped
3 tbl spns milk
juice of one lime
salt and pepper to taste

Throw it all in a blender on high until you can barely see the bits of cilantro - sauce will be a pale green. If you like the sauce thinner, add more milk. Sauce needs to sit in the fridge for at least 1/2 hour so the flavors develop and blend.

Mango/Papaya Salsa
chop equal parts of a mango and papaya
chopped red onion
chopped cilantro
juice of half a lime
1/2 tsp sugar
pinch (I mean small) salt

Combine all of the above in a bowl and let sit while you cook your fish

Bowl of shredded cabbage (the thinner the better)

Warm corn tortillas

Type of fish and preparation of your choice. Good grilling fish are: mahi, halibut, sturgeon or swordfish. Fried fish works great for this recipe as well.

To build the best fish taco of your life:

Take a warm corn tortilla, add the fish then the cabbage, top with the cilantro sauce and finish with a heaping spoonful of the salsa. Enjoy!

aintscared
05-05-2006, 08:26 AM
NOW THAT SOUNDS YUMMY TOOO :-X

imacamper
06-15-2006, 03:00 PM
Another great sauce is equal parts sour cream and mayo. *Then add dried ground Chipotle pepper and a bit of salt to your taste. *Sauce should be fairly red from the Chipotle. Excellent!

And if you're ever on US-395 in the town of Bridgeport (probably 30 - 40 miles south of Topaz), stop at "The Barn" for a Baja Fish Taco. *It's basically a walk up counter with an outdoor eating area. *It will be the best $3.65 you'll ever spend! * [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BLASTMASTER
07-27-2006, 07:21 AM
I use a real simple sauce. Just squeze lime into mayo, until it's the right consistency, then add salt and pepper. That's it, that all there is to it.

FatCat
09-07-2006, 03:58 PM
I have long been searching for a fish taco sauce that is both simple and delicious and I finally found it this weekend:

Mix sour cream and mayo until you get the right consistancy, then spoon in the sauce from a can of chipotles. Perfect!

SuperDave
03-04-2009, 08:16 PM
bump

metalmouth
03-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Geez Dave, I thought you were making chili tonight. Are you having fish tacos with it??? ;D

spinfisher
03-07-2009, 07:42 AM
Doc Stressor's "Special sauce" is real easy, and similar to a few recipes mentioned so far, the key being chipotle peppers.

Step one is to make a puree of equal volumes of canned chipotles with their sauce, and garlic cloves, in a blender or mini processor . This can be kept in the freezer and added to many things for a great flavor and zip.

For the taco sauce, just blend it with Marie's Caesar dressing to taste. We coat the fish with this and grill them. Then we put a dollop on the taco with the fish, cheese, salsa, cabbage and guacomole.

Then we try to roll up the taco and eat it, without the whole thing coming out the taco on the other side! ;D ;)

SuperDave
03-09-2009, 06:14 AM
No fish taco is complete without cilantro.

spinfisher
03-09-2009, 07:00 PM
No fish taco is complete without cilantro.

Absolutely! If there's none in the salsa, it's gotta be there to add separately, and actually, I often add it extra even when the salsa has it. :)

fresnofshfan
03-13-2009, 08:25 AM
I use Tapitio , SCream , and lime juice. Mix with cabbage and cilantro.

Quick , and I always have those ingredients at any time...