PDA

View Full Version : Less than 1 month out....

JB14
03-09-2014, 03:00 PM
Anyone else pumped up about getting back into the salt?? I've had enough of the bait fishing and can't wait to get back to salmon season. Hopefully they show up thick this year. I might be out on opening day but we'll have to see how it goes. Good luck to everyone headed out.

heatsource
03-09-2014, 03:03 PM
I'd love to learn more about ocean fishing for salmon. it would be nice to start getting them before july...
are any places better than others for a 12' alum boat? (im positive there are- any pointers?)

Love to hitch hike w/someone and learn something!

FTB530
03-09-2014, 03:40 PM
I'd love to learn more about ocean fishing for salmon. it would be nice to start getting them before july...
are any places better than others for a 12' alum boat? (im positive there are- any pointers?)

In a 12 ft boat you would defiantly want to watch the weather reports, swell forecast and make sure you have a GPS and a VHf for emergencies ,I go out in a inflatable level 14 ft and I wear a.wetsuit farmer John because you will get wet if it is not flat water, but if u can get out when it is like glass it is a lot of fun.PS I will be heading to the coast when. Rock fishing season opens, could take.two hitchhiker when the time comes.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk 2

kris k
03-10-2014, 08:02 AM
Pretty thrilled! It took all season last year, but I think we have our program all dialed in now. Also looking forward to spending waayyyyyy less money in tackle and gear this year, since I got everything I need last summer.

I'm picking up a chest style freezer off Craigslist to stockpile vac sealed filets and keep heads and carcasses in this year....that stuff is beyond valuable come shark and crab time. Waste not want not!

So if last years pattern is an indication we should expect the bite to start at the deep reef, then up to the Farallones, then bodega? Sound about right? That being said im planning to head to HMB on the 8th. Lenme know if anyone else is down and we can fan out and keep in touch on the radio.

salmonid
03-10-2014, 08:49 AM
Also looking forward to spending waayyyyyy less money in tackle and gear this year, since I got everything I need last summer.

Good luck with that! LOL it never ends...

I'm looking forward to some salty fun this year too!

Best,

hanahou7
03-10-2014, 11:58 AM
I'm looking forward to notching my first saltwater salmon season. Dad and I just picked up motor we have faith in (changed to a 90hp Evinrude from a 85hp Force) and we are ready to get out there for my first time and his first in over a decade haha.

Anyone hear good things out of Moss Landing from last year? That was the old fishing grounds for him back in the late 90s, but wasn't sure if they still catch good ones out there. I've been reading that HMB and Bodega are more popular, especially the past 2 years.

JB14
03-10-2014, 07:30 PM
HMB and bodega killed it last year. SC and Monterey weren't good. The duxbury fish showed up early and then disappeared.

JB14
03-10-2014, 07:31 PM
Opening weekend is an absolute zoo. We went to SC last year and it was unreal. Never seen anything like it.

I'm probably going to sit the 1st weekend out and then hit it the following weekend.

I'm doing the same as Kris. Spent a ton of $$ last year prepping and this year I'm ready to go!! Kris we need to setup a couple trips!

Sekkyo
03-11-2014, 09:21 AM
I'm dying to get back out on the ocean. I had my first taste in May and I want to go back as soon as possible. Let me know if you want another on board, JB14.

Here's me in the middle:

http://tehforce.net/images/Salmon_20130509/IMG_4164.JPG

JB14
03-11-2014, 05:11 PM
I'll hit you up for sure. I'm always looking to expand my fishing partners list! Especially with guys that live right next to me.

I'm dying to get back out on the ocean. I had my first taste in May and I want to go back as soon as possible. Let me know if you want another on board, JB14.

Here's me in the middle:

http://tehforce.net/images/Salmon_20130509/IMG_4164.JPG

kris k
03-11-2014, 10:45 PM
Yeah buddy. Already talked to aaron about maby heading out Tuesday the 8th. Any chance you could pull off a weekday JB? If not, maby we should shoot for that weekend. Half moon bay? Deep reef?

Sekkyo
03-12-2014, 08:48 AM
I'll hit you up for sure. I'm always looking to expand my fishing partners list! Especially with guys that live right next to me.
Excellent. It'll at least help with your operating costs. I'll PM you my number so you can get a hold of me in a hurry.

JB14
03-12-2014, 12:56 PM
I might be able to call in sick or something on that day. You thinking HMB? I can tug my rig or we can use one of yours. I'm easy and I've got more gear then 10 people need :strawberry:

bassman408
03-12-2014, 01:30 PM
Let me know if any of you guys ever need an extra hand on the boat or just an empty seat available. I'd be more than willing to help out with costs and stuff! :cool:

kris k
03-12-2014, 10:28 PM
I might be able to call in sick or something on that day. You thinking HMB? I can tug my rig or we can use one of yours. I'm easy and I've got more gear then 10 people need :strawberry:

Yeah. I'm guessing HMB is gonna be our best bet around then. I looked over the posts from last year and the deep reef area was wide open from the start. If be down to load into one boat and share on costs, or we could take 2 and fan out on the hunt. Both have benefits, but it would be fun to roll together.

Cough cough...think I'm coming down with a nasty virus...should kick in Tuesday the 8th...

kris k
03-12-2014, 10:35 PM
I also think we oughta toss out the traps for some late season crab. Something to go with our grilled salmon. Figure we will have time to pull em when we come cruising back in with limits at 10 am. Woo hoo!!

BigK
03-13-2014, 08:16 AM
you guys are killin me!! Iv been having the itch for months now. Its all I really think about, lol.
Iv been getting dialed since I ended running for river salmon in October. Fresh PINK is the best.

Ill never go out on opening day again...did it 2 years ago in SC and it was a ZOO but, we limited by 11am...Last year outta SC stunk. 2 days NO fish. but the crowds werent bad.
I plan on waiting for the first weeks reports to get out and make a decision from there on where to go. Im hoping SC/MOSS or HMB...Bodega is normally a July deal for me.

Sekkyo
03-13-2014, 08:47 AM
When I caught that 18lbs. salmon above, my buddy and I ate sushi for a few consecutive meals that by the afternoon the next day, I could smell salmon coming out of my pores. This year I am hoping to get at least a couple pigs. My freezer has so much room in it right now.

BigUnInDaBoat
03-13-2014, 01:11 PM
Well I am even more stoked, today I was going through old papers/Christmas cards and found a $100 gift cert for Emeryville Sportfishing, woot!

Mmmm Orange meat.

JB14
03-13-2014, 05:11 PM
I think I caught whatever is going around on the 8th. I'm in!

Crab fishing is nonexistent right now. Guys are soaking for 2 weeks to average 1-2 keepers a pot.

Sekkyo
03-14-2014, 12:05 PM
Crab fishing is nonexistent right now. Guys are soaking for 2 weeks to average 1-2 keepers a pot.
Funny, I just called Pillar Point Harbor and they have commercial boats selling crab that was caught yesterday. Maybe it was a long soak, all of the crab should be up in Washington now.

JB14
03-14-2014, 02:09 PM
Funny, I just called Pillar Point Harbor and they have commercial boats selling crab that was caught yesterday. Maybe it was a long soak, all of the crab should be up in Washington now.

The commercial guys drops 100's of pots that they leave out for weeks at a time. I have 5 pots I'd leave for 8 hours...

JB14
03-14-2014, 03:13 PM
I think I caught whatever is going around on the 8th. I'm in

Sooooo.... Yeah. I'm out for the 8th. I could do the 10th or Saturday the 12th or the following week or all of them.

ghostfish_slayer
03-14-2014, 03:27 PM
unless something bad happens i will be fishing opening day and will be dropping a couple pots...

Sekkyo
03-15-2014, 07:35 AM
Sooooo.... Yeah. I'm out for the 8th. I could do the 10th or Saturday the 12th or the following week or all of them.
I'll take time off work if I need to, just let me know.

Gypsie
03-15-2014, 09:30 AM
I'll take time off work if I need to, just let me know.

Anyone looking for an extra hand to share costs, please let me know. I've got my own boat (21' Outrage) and gear and will gladly reciprocate once I figure out this ocean salmon business and how to use downriggers, as I am new to those. That's why I'd really love to first go out with someone to be able to watch and learn.

kingkiller
03-15-2014, 11:18 AM
I'm so Ready I I can't sleep !!!. Boat is ready I'm excited to use my new edge rod with my avet reel. I was going to see if anyone wants too buddy boat the weekend of the 11th

JB14
03-15-2014, 12:29 PM
It sounds like we need a little fish sniffer salmon fest. I can take 3 with me....

Gypsie
03-15-2014, 12:53 PM
It sounds like we need a little fish sniffer salmon fest. I can take 3 with me....

JB,
Where do I sign up? (-: 10th or 12th would work, though weekends are always easier for me - I do have to work to be able to pay for the toys...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kingkiller
03-15-2014, 01:21 PM
JB I wouldn't mind buddy boating with you. This will be my first ocean salmon Season with my own rig

hanahou7
03-17-2014, 07:30 PM
Anyone know when the official 2014 Ocean Salmon Regs will come out? Will it be before the opener on April 5th (I assume that is still the opener)? Do we need to get a Salmon Report card before then?

Sorry for all the stupid questions, but it'll be my first Ocean Salmon season as well.

JB14
03-17-2014, 07:51 PM
What regs are you looking for? No report card needed.

JB14
03-17-2014, 07:53 PM
I'm headed out on the 12th as my kickoff to salmon season. Probably out of HMB unless I see something else that persuades me to do otherwise on opening weekend.

hanahou7
03-17-2014, 08:21 PM
OK, cool, I was worried we needed a report card.

I was just looking at the DFW website and it says the "2014 California sport and commercial regulations have not been determined..." Salmon Preseason Process (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/salmonpreseason.asp)

I was just going to go off of the 2013 regs and assume that the season will open April 5. Is that what everyone else is doing or am I missing something?

JB14
03-17-2014, 08:53 PM
That's the plan until we're told otherwise. Basically last years plan is in place until they come out with something new.

hanahou7
03-17-2014, 09:04 PM
OK, great, thanks JB14. I can rest easy now haha.

salmonid
03-17-2014, 10:49 PM
The feds will get their say in early April and the season will be set. Based on information already given, they will likely rubber stamp it, and the ocean season will be very similar to last year I think.

Best,

BarnacleL
03-19-2014, 07:41 AM
I Googled and found out CA Fish and Wildlife meets at 10a this morning to discuss ocean salmon.

California Fish and Game Commission 2014 Meetings (http://www.fgc.ca.gov/meetings/2014/index.aspx)

Does any old salt know when they put the video of the meeting up there or we can expect a press release the season will open April 5? I want to make Doran park reservations.

Also could I have any luck mooching for salmon just outside Bodega Bay jetty? I think trolling might be to complicated to start solo with. Thank you.

BarnacleL
03-19-2014, 02:27 PM
The audio for today's 19 March 2014 Fish and Game Commission teleconference is up there and kind of hard to understand without a copy of the presentation what it was exactly they voted for but I think it was April 5 open for ocean salmon sport fishing San Francisco zone, 24" minimum Chinook length, 2 fish per day bag limit and an option 3 which I think lets us have 2 bag limits in possession for a weekend 2 day fishing trip. Would love for someone to listen to the audio at the link I posted 1 up in this thread to verify what I took away from listening. Thank you.

LURKER916
03-19-2014, 02:37 PM
It's only open April 5-30. 25 days? Is that normal?

hanahou7
03-19-2014, 03:46 PM
I think it is guaranteed open from April 5-30, with pending updated regulations coming in May. That's when the official 2014 Ocean Salmon Regs will come out, if I'm not mistaken. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

IronClad
03-19-2014, 04:53 PM
This got put up 2 hours ish ago

Recreational Ocean Salmon Season to Open South of Horse Mountain on April 5 | CDFW News (http://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2014/03/19/recreational-ocean-salmon-season-to-open-south-of-horse-mountain-on-april-5/)

salmonid
03-19-2014, 04:58 PM
Nice!

Thanks, IC,

This got put up 2 hours ish ago

Recreational Ocean Salmon Season to Open South of Horse Mountain on April 5 | CDFW News (http://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2014/03/19/recreational-ocean-salmon-season-to-open-south-of-horse-mountain-on-april-5/)

JB14
03-19-2014, 06:41 PM
Now we get 2 limits in possession when on land. That makes it worth taking a weekend trip. Just don't keep 2 limits on your boat. That will equal and BIG fine

nayr
03-19-2014, 08:05 PM
Bought a voucher for a charter boat trip in monterey off travelzoo for $49... waiting to use...

salmonid
03-19-2014, 08:10 PM
Bought a voucher for a charter boat trip in monterey off travelzoo for $49... waiting to use...

hmmm, sounds like a good value for getting out on the salt...

Prototype
03-27-2014, 07:30 AM
My adrenaline is running after reading this thread. I geared up last year like a few of you and still without a hog...hopefully this upcoming season will treat me better.

hanahou7
03-27-2014, 08:38 AM
I feel you Prototype. I've had all the rods ready, mooching rigs tied, lures filed, and downriggers ready for about 2 weeks now haha. This will be my first time in the ocean chasing salmon, and my dad's return after a 10 year hiatus haha. Best of luck to you!

kingkiller
03-28-2014, 06:36 PM
So after all said here where is everyone heading out from on there first trip to the salt I heard bodega was great on the opener last yr for couple of days then the fish just disappeared

Seon
03-28-2014, 06:57 PM
I prefer Bodega but the Salmon normally shows up down in the Monterey Bay early in the season.

JB14
03-28-2014, 10:38 PM
HMB was the hot opener last year. Monterey/SC was garbage.

JB14
03-29-2014, 03:58 PM
So we're 1 week out and I'm pretty pumped. I can't do anymore sturgeon staring. I need some salt!! I think I'm all set to go with the exception of a handful of rigs that I leave at my dads house....

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/30/rage9yne.jpg

salmonid
03-29-2014, 04:34 PM
Sounds like they are already catching them out of the Oregon ports- season opens earlier there.

Good luck to you guys on the opener,

JB14
03-29-2014, 06:55 PM
From what I've heard there's a lot of bait and birds crashing all over so it's shaping up to be a good opener to the season.

BigK
03-29-2014, 08:58 PM
Y'all are killin me! Can't make the opener but I'll be out the following week. JB your right HMB was slappin last year and sc sucked. Bodega is normally a bit later but still will produce fish on opener. I'm hoping for sc or HMB. If anyone wants to buddy boat out there the 2nd week give me a holler

kingkiller
03-30-2014, 10:31 AM
Y'all are killin me! Can't make the opener but I'll be out the following week. JB your right HMB was slappin last year and sc sucked. Bodega is normally a bit later but still will produce fish on opener. I'm hoping for sc or HMB. If anyone wants to buddy boat out there the 2nd week give me a holler

Hey bigk I would like to buddy boat I'm heading down there the 11th txt me 480 600 1561 I'm completely new to the salt for salmon

JB14
03-30-2014, 12:45 PM
Planning on being out on the 12th as well if the reports are good. Buddy boat extravaganza!

Troutbead
03-30-2014, 06:13 PM

this is just my opinion but a 12ft aluminumboat has no place out in the open ocean to many things can happen it is an accidnet waiting to happen, but that is just me. stick with lakes or maybe the inner harbor at pillar point for halibut

BarnacleL
03-30-2014, 08:50 PM

Capt heatsource, I have a 14' wood boat, I have taken it outside the jetty at Bodega Bay a couple times already this year for crabs. I just finished tying 6/0 and 4/0 snelled 5" from eye to lower curve barbless cirlce hooks on 66" 15# leader with 3 ounce banana sinker to try mooching for salmon where I drop my crab traps at waypoint crab65. I plan to go next Sunday 6 April weather permitting and camp at Doran. I don't know this forum lingo yet but I think it is called "boat buddy" if you were to bring your 12' aluminum boat we could keep an eye on each other. If this date doesn't work for you I am sure there will be other times I will be going up there. If it is real calm I may try the 7.6 mile route between Doran and Dillon Beach.

Sekkyo
04-02-2014, 02:07 PM
My bones are aching for some salmon fishing, but no one has invited me out yet. Here's hoping I get the chance sometime this month. :nerves:

Lil' Bone
04-03-2014, 04:13 AM

I fished out of Monterey 3-4 seasons with my 12' Mirro Craft, anywhere from the Bell buoy to soldier's club without incident. You just need to know when to head for the barn.

BarnacleL
04-03-2014, 06:52 AM
Thank you for the encouragement Capt Lil Bone.

I think I will be going out on Bodega Bay Mon and Tues camping at Doran. I have the HawkEye portable fish finder that runs on 4 AAA batteries arriving from Walmart tomorrow. I think I want to mount the transducer on the transom even though this boat as a rocker built into the hull to make rowing easier. The picture below looks like a transom mount transducer will stay down in the water once I put my full size butt in the boat :D

I pay attention to the weather and surf. I can go 9.1 mph with that 5 hp 4 stroke so if there are salmon from Doran to Dillon I should be able to sniff them out in no time. I am going to drop 2 crab traps too and see if I can bring up some big males for a nice fresh caippino cooked on my propane Coleman at the campsite :)

Lil' Bone
04-03-2014, 08:58 AM

I think I will be going out on Bodega Bay Mon and Tues camping at Doran. I have the HawkEye portable fish finder that runs on 4 AAA batteries arriving from Walmart tomorrow. I think I want to mount the transducer on the transom even though this boat as a rocker built into the hull to make rowing easier. The picture below looks like a transom mount transducer will stay down in the water once I put my full size butt in the boat :D

I pay attention to the weather and surf. I can go 9.1 mph with that 5 hp 4 stroke so if there are salmon from Doran to Dillon I should be able to sniff them out in no time. I am going to drop 2 crab traps too and see if I can bring up some big males for a nice fresh caippino cooked on my propane Coleman at the campsite :)

I don't know that area, I mention Monterey because the ramp is sheltered and there's no Jetty / inlet to deal with ( Such as Moss / Santa Cruz.)
She looks pretty sea worthy though, lot's of free board. Let me stress again, You need to know when to head for the barn.

Be safe out there and have fun. ;-)

Sekkyo
04-03-2014, 10:20 AM
Sweet! I'll be heading out of Moss Landing early early Saturday morning. Who else will be out there?

Troutbead
04-03-2014, 11:58 AM

I really hope you reconsider taking that boat out on the ocean it is a different ball game out their and I don't want to read about you in the paper. The wind can come up very suddenly, the fog suddenly come in or even a rogue wave might make an apoearence. You couldn't pick a worse place than Bodega. A salmon isn't worth your life hitch a ride with someone or hop on a party boat

Ducks247
04-03-2014, 02:34 PM
I agree with Troutbead. If I was you I would wait till the fish are right off the head like last year. Then plan a trip according to NOAA. July is usually best. Party boats are always a good option. Hop on a six pack for 175$ and spare yourself the headache and the uncertainty.

BarnacleL
04-03-2014, 04:02 PM
Here is what Doran beach looked like 17 Jan 2014. There is another high building this weekend, the surf forecast for Mon afternoon through Thursday is 2 feet, 6 mph afternoon wind from the east. When I was there in Jan I had my 50# thrust MinnKota that is about 1 hp this time I will have 5 hp and sonar (my new HawkEye fish finder). I build that boat in 1999, she is a Ken Swan Little Gem design I won't launch unless it is safe. I do hope to bring home my 2 land possession limits of salmon and crab for the freezer, I have a 5 cu ft chest freezer being delivered 10 April in anticipation of God's bounty from the sea Neptune (my lab) and I will be bringing home :D

heatsource
04-03-2014, 05:40 PM
I fished out of Monterey 3-4 seasons with my 12' Mirro Craft, anywhere from the Bell buoy to soldier's club without incident. You just need to know when to head for the barn.

thanks for the reply..
i'm told its not safe to take my boat out to places all the time and must say a smidge of common sense and alot of experience goes a long way.
dont put yourself into a position you or your boat cant get out of. plan and think ahead. know your limitations.

Anyways- I wasn't thinking about open ocean rather the protected areas and bays...

that said- i'm going to stick with sturg unless someone wants to take me out and show me around in their big safe boat :)
if you need a mate and someone to split costs let me know!
(just available weekends for the next few weeks)

Troutbead
04-04-2014, 10:39 AM
Here is what Doran beach looked like 17 Jan 2014. There is another high building this weekend, the surf forecast for Mon afternoon through Thursday is 2 feet, 6 mph afternoon wind from the east. When I was there in Jan I had my 50# thrust MinnKota that is about 1 hp this time I will have 5 hp and sonar (my new HawkEye fish finder). I build that boat in 1999, she is a Ken Swan Little Gem design I won't launch unless it is safe. I do hope to bring home my 2 land possession limits of salmon and crab for the freezer, I have a 5 cu ft chest freezer being delivered 10 April in anticipation of God's bounty from the sea Neptune (my lab) and I will be bringing home :D

there is a lot more you need to consider than saying the surf, i assume you mean swell, is 2 feet. if that is all you look at you are going to find your self in deep doo-doo. you need to know the height and the period. 2 feet every 12 seconds in calm, but 2 feet every 4 seconds and in your little boat you could be in troble. then you also need to know the wind wave height on top of the swell and if seas will be increasibg or decrasing threw out the day. if you say the sea is only three feet and launch and find out it is 3 feet every 5 seconds you may not make it back in

i would advice a boating safety class the ocean is not a lake

BarnacleL
04-04-2014, 02:55 PM
I passed the BoatUS safety course and 2014 Coast Guard Auxiliary safety check that is the last sticker on the bow. HawkEye fish finder just arrived mounted transom transducer adaptor. I will take HawkEye out tomorrow to compare with Humminbird. Weather and other factors permitting I am go for Bodega Bay salmon mooching Mon and Tues. I haven't figured out how to post with Tap Talk and WiFi is non existent at Doran so may not share my crab, salmon and me towing a big disabled boat back to port pictures until I am back on dry land.

salmonid
04-04-2014, 05:23 PM
Not sure the exact place you are thinking about mooching, but some areas are trolling only at Bodega- others are closed to fishing. Maybe you know this already, but you can check the following link for info. North Central California Marine Protected Areas (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/mpa/nccmpas_list.asp)

Good luck,
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/images/mpamaps/bodegahead.jpg

I passed the BoatUS safety course and 2014 Coast Guard Auxiliary safety check that is the last sticker on the bow. HawkEye fish finder just arrived mounted transom transducer adaptor. I will take HawkEye out tomorrow to compare with Humminbird. Weather and other factors permitting I am go for Bodega Bay salmon mooching Mon and Tues. I haven't figured out how to post with Tap Talk and WiFi is non existent at Doran so may not share my crab, salmon and me towing a big disabled boat back to port pictures until I am back on dry land.

BarnacleL
04-04-2014, 06:34 PM
As I read the regs sport license can crab in Bodega Head state marine conservation area but no fishing and no fishing or crab in Bodega Head state marine reserve. I drew a route from Doran to Salmon Creek and put waypoints where I was crossing the marine protected areas so I can see on my Garmin GPSMAP 76csx and not fish. I haven't read anything about trolling only areas that preclude mooching. I got the 4/0 and 6/0 barbless circle hooks from Amazon came from South Carolina for mooching tied on fixed no slip with snells 5" from eye to lower bend of hook. I mostly plan to stay close to shore on that route I drew from Doran to Dillon, I doubt I will go up to Salmon Creek unless it is really calm. I have to leave my dog in the truck he is afraid of the little boat and the ocean but he loves my 16 foot boat with a 7 foot beam in the delta but that boat is to heavy to pull with my S10 truck.

salmonid
04-04-2014, 07:06 PM
If you don't go into the red or blue areas you can mooch. You may want to go to the link I posted.

Regs for the blue area on my last post:

Permitted/Prohibited Uses: Take of all living marine resources is prohibited EXCEPT:

The recreational take of pelagic finfish (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/mpa/nccmpas_list.asp#definitions) by trolling, Dungeness crab by trap and market squid by hand-held dip net.

Best,

I haven't read anything about trolling only areas that preclude mooching.

BarnacleL
04-04-2014, 08:27 PM
Thank you for that clarification salmonid I have some barbless (non circle hooks), Jensen sinker releases, 1# balls and a dodger. I will tie up some leaders with the barbless hooks tomorrow to take with me. I am not sure how I would troll, one hand on the 5hp outboard tiller, 1 hand on the pole, then I would have to reel, net, mind the fish finder, gps and vhf radio as the current pushes me toward the rocky coast. I looked at my Garmin BlueChart of that blue area on MapSource on my computer it is deep, I have 100 foot anchor, God help me if I hooked into a shark. I don't think I can troll but it is nice to know that is an option in the blue area. If only us sports license guys and gals can go in there that is undoubtedly where those sneaky salmon are seeking refuge. I may do some recon only (no trolling) with my new fish finder and GPS to get some intel for you folks in the blue area but only if the ocean is like greased glass.

salmonid
04-04-2014, 08:41 PM
BarnacleL,

I think the MPA regulations allowing trolling but not mooching are kind of nonsensical. The fleet drops tons of lead trolling in the protected area when trolling, but can't mooch without dropping lead. Makes no sense to me.

Be safe and watch the weather out there as others have mentioned.

Best,

ghostfish_slayer
04-04-2014, 09:20 PM
i made my old Lowrance fish finder into a battery operated one.. it works good.. use the cheap rechargeable one+ 18v ryobi battery's with it.. used the base of the old cheap over night charger the drill, light, vacuum kit came with.. took it apart removed the charging stuff and rewired it to plug the battery into it and use it for connect/disconnect for the power to fish finder.. plug it on the battery and go.. charge them with the ryobi upgrade one + quick charger.

BarnacleL
04-05-2014, 07:02 PM
I tested my new $60 HawkEye portable fish finder that runs on 4 AAA batteries at m catfish hole near Rhode Island in the delta today. Depth appears accurate, I see fish when I turn the sensitivity up, the You Tube said need to turn it up in salt water so I got familiar with it while I had my Humminbird to compare. I like the little HawkEye, I can't wait to try it at Bodega. Lawson's Landing web site shows 20mph winds today, New Sea Angler came back with 1/2 limits some to 16# found them 5 miles off Tomales Point. Forecast still shows the high building I should have nice weather with low winds Mon and Tues. I filled the remote tank with 2.8 gallons today, that little 5hp 4 stroke burns 1/2 gallon per hour and pushes the boat 9.1 mph at 5000 rpm.

Troutbead
04-05-2014, 10:32 PM
I tested my new $60 HawkEye portable fish finder that runs on 4 AAA batteries at m catfish hole near Rhode Island in the delta today. Depth appears accurate, I see fish when I turn the sensitivity up, the You Tube said need to turn it up in salt water so I got familiar with it while I had my Humminbird to compare. I like the little HawkEye, I can't wait to try it at Bodega. Lawson's Landing web site shows 20mph winds today, New Sea Angler came back with 1/2 limits some to 16# found them 5 miles off Tomales Point. Forecast still shows the high building I should have nice weather with low winds Mon and Tues. I filled the remote tank with 2.8 gallons today, that little 5hp 4 stroke burns 1/2 gallon per hour and pushes the boat 9.1 mph at 5000 rpm.

I hope your boat isn't named the s.s. Minnow. This just sounds like a bad idea. Still think a party boat is the way to go. Great way to pick up some tips and do it safely.

Gypsie
04-09-2014, 06:58 AM
Planning on being out on the 12th as well if the reports are good. Buddy boat extravaganza!

JB,

Can you send m a PM with alternate contact info for you, please? My PMs to you somehow don't seem to go through.

Thanks!

BarnacleL
04-09-2014, 07:11 AM
I did not go in the ocean salmon fishing this week. Radio reports are salmon are being caught where I drew the fish symbol between 30-150 feet of water where it is 240 feet deep. Crab reports are lean and all females. It just didn't seem like a good idea to leave my dog in the back of the truck while I go 3 miles offshore in my 14 foot boat. So the dog and I went to the delta in my 16 foot boat near steamboat slu and scouted out fish with my new HawkEye fish finder, it is much better than my 10 year old humminbird. Thanks for the advice Troutbead, I wasn't going to go out get my tit in the wringer and let you tell me you told me so :nana:

JB14
04-09-2014, 07:37 AM
Just sent you a PM and also resent the email.
You can email me @ jkbrannon at comcast dot net
Phone is 9 two five - five 4 8 - zero 3 six 4

JB,

Can you send m a PM with alternate contact info for you, please? My PMs to you somehow don't seem to go through.

Thanks!