PDA

View Full Version : Planner board issues?

Ducks247
03-12-2014, 08:33 AM
So I was up at camanche last Saturday trying out my new planner boards I bought. They are yellow bird planners.As I was letting them out and setting them up, as soon as I got some tension on the line, the line kept popping out of the release. I double checked to make sure it was rigged right, everything checked out. So does the diameter of the line matter? Are the clips to weak? Trolling too fast? I tried the farthest I could go inside the clip and still the same problem. Any info would be great thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jfitalia
03-12-2014, 09:13 AM
Did you try forming a loop and twisting the line before putting it into the the release?

What pound test are using? What speed are you trolling at?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Ducks247
03-12-2014, 11:22 AM
Trolling about 2 mph and 6lb test. I just bought some new clips so maybe that will help?

Jfitalia
03-12-2014, 11:25 AM
I need new planer boards and I've been looking at the yellow bird ones. I'm not liking my sep's ones. Once you get them working please let me know if you like them.

Don't forget to twist that line before putting in clip.

OYD
03-12-2014, 01:24 PM
So I was up at camanche last Saturday trying out my new planner boards I bought. They are yellow bird planners.As I was letting them out and setting them up, as soon as I got some tension on the line, the line kept popping out of the release. I double checked to make sure it was rigged right, everything checked out. So does the diameter of the line matter? Are the clips to weak? Trolling too fast? I tried the farthest I could go inside the clip and still the same problem. Any info would be great thanks.

How large are the planers? My Yellow Birds are about 8 inches long. The old style release on these boards (black ones) did not hold unless you used heavy line. The new releases are the small Scotty releases and are yellow. I had issues with the black releases as you describe but have not been able to try the new releases. I e-mailed Yellow Bird about the issue and found out that there is a new owner (nice fellow) and he was nice enough to send me a couple of the new releases for my boards. Under his ownership, only boards with the new releases have been sold so if you have the black clips, they are older style units. Use the twisted line trick as already mentioned and use a stronger clip for the light line.

Jfitalia
03-12-2014, 01:26 PM
Lone angler how do you like the boards? My sep's ones don't really get to far off the side of the boat.

Reel Fun
03-12-2014, 01:28 PM
I think those releases are adjustable? I know if they have a spring inside just slide that spring with a small screw driver towards the pads.

Ducks247
03-12-2014, 01:29 PM
That's what I did went to my local bait shop and switched out the clips. I hope it works!! I really appreciate the advice guys!! Il get back an let you know how it all turns out.

Steve079
03-12-2014, 02:36 PM
I need new planer boards and I've been looking at the yellow bird ones. I'm not liking my sep's ones. Once you get them working please let me know if you like them.

I got a set from Mike Tripp, a friend of Kokemachine. They are bigger then the Seps but smaller then the Yellow birds, Off shore or Church. but the Church TX 6 or Offshore OR34 would probably work. The Off shore is reversible which is nice.

I like Mike's the release has worked well for me with either braid or mono. But, his use a strip of Styrofoam, which, (if you lose) they sink like a rock. But, I've used them to pull any spoon or Rapala I choose to run up here for trout.

Just talk to Robbie, (Kokemachine)

Jfitalia
03-12-2014, 02:50 PM
Steve I've spoken with robbie and he raves about them. I'd love to get my hands on them

Steve079
03-12-2014, 04:00 PM
Come fish Melones, and test drive mine.

A guy on another board just got these:

DualFins Ultra-Light In-Line Side Planer Board Bobbers (http://www.bulletbobber.com/dualfin.html)

I think these look interesting, I'll be watching his report closely, would not mind a second pair

Jfitalia
03-12-2014, 05:09 PM
Come fish Melones, and test drive mine.

A guy on another board just got these:

DualFins Ultra-Light In-Line Side Planer Board Bobbers (http://www.bulletbobber.com/dualfin.html)

I think these look interesting, I'll be watching his report closely, would not mind a second pair

I'll take you up on that! Gotta stay at home for bit with the newborn. Once I get the green light I'll let you know.

Brutus20
03-12-2014, 05:32 PM
I'll take you up on that! Gotta stay at home for bit with the newborn. Once I get the green light I'll let you know.

Did you folks have your baby, J ?

redneckpunk
03-12-2014, 05:43 PM

I think u need to give her a green light before you get one. Afterall, she did most of the work

Jfitalia
03-12-2014, 05:43 PM
Did you folks have your baby, J ?

Yes sir at 405am yesterday. I posted a few photos on the campfire board.

Jfitalia
03-12-2014, 05:44 PM
I think u need to give her a green light before you get one. Afterall, she did most of the work

Hey I did all the work to make him! Ahahaha

redneckpunk
03-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Hey I did all the work to make him! Ahahaha

I heard you just laid there. LOL! :)

Jfitalia
03-12-2014, 05:46 PM
I heard you just laid there. LOL! :)