PDA

View Full Version : Sealing up leaky bubble bobbers?

JamiJR
03-15-2014, 09:28 AM
I hope this is okay to ask here since it is a tackle question. I've asked it a couple other places but they're just not active and I really need an answer.

I've always used and had the best luck with clear plastic bubble bobbers halfway filled with water. I've tried the other kinds and they just don't work for me. I've tried with no bobbers and just a sinker and it also doesn't work for me. Like my dad says, no matter what people tell you what to use, stick with what works for you.

However, I've noticed the last few years no matter what brand I get or where I get them from they all leak around the stem. So by the time I get to where I'm going to fish, they're often close to empty.

I tried looking for clear pre-weighted ones, but they no longer make those. Or at least they no longer make the clear ones.

So my next thought is to seal them after filling them with water so they won't leak. I've seen some fishers mentioning using super glue on their bobbers, but I'm not comfortable with that cause of smell and mess. I can't seem to use super glue without gluing my fingers together.

Does anyone know of something that will dry clear, with no odor, and very little mess that I can use to keep my bobbers from leaking?

BaitMaster
03-15-2014, 12:06 PM
Clear silicone?

Drying time will be longer...though. And I don't know if moisture will seep out and mess with the cure, but that is worth a shot.

Super glue should work though. Maybe gorilla glue also... chewing gum, etc, lol.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

monkey916
03-15-2014, 12:29 PM
clear silicone will work...why silicone them anyway...fill them up when you get to the water your fishing... 5 minute epoxy will work to... but your not ever getting them open again............

JamiJR
03-15-2014, 12:29 PM
That might work. The only other thing I could think of was a hot glue gun or I could get that fake water from a craft store and fill them with that. It hardens into a gel. But I wasn't sure how that would work and if it would be safe.

Edit: Somewhere else someone suggested to me the glue they use to seal aquariums. Since I have to buy dog food today I might as well pick up a tube then experiment.

Jetspray
03-20-2014, 05:13 AM
Take along some plumber's grease, and smear up the area of the leak with that. It usually comes in a small enough container to put in your tackle box and is water repellant. You can also wipe it away with a dry towel/cloth. Glues are a permanent solution but it will ruin your plastic bobber. Good luck with the results........Jetspray

BigUnInDaBoat
03-20-2014, 08:14 AM
You could weigh them with bb's and then seal them. Added bonus as a rattle.

Jetspray
03-20-2014, 12:10 PM
You could weigh them with bb's and then seal them. Added bonus as a rattle. Lead would work but copper would rust........Jetspray

49erbassman
03-20-2014, 05:55 PM
Superglue Gel is easy to work with. No matter how good you seal them that water will evaporate over time and you end up with a regular bobber. The smell isnt an issue
Or if you feel better put some scent on it

So many fish.....such little time

monkey916
03-20-2014, 06:45 PM
if your desperate... fill it with some sand...1/4 or half full... if the weight is what you after... for better casting...:stomper:

Jetspray
03-25-2014, 10:49 AM
My dad always said "if it does not go in easy, just make sure it is lubed":cool2::directr9wk:.........Jetspray

JamiJR
03-25-2014, 01:31 PM
49 - it's not an evaporation issue, it's an actual leak. As in water dripping out from around the stem of the bobber.

As for the other options, I use these because they're see through and the fish mistake them for bubbles. I've tried the different colored floats, like the red on top/white on bottom ones, and catch exactly zero fish. The second I switch back to all clear I limit out. So filling them with things like sand and such would defeat the purpose.

49erbassman
03-25-2014, 03:02 PM
I understand but my point was that if you fill them with water and glue them closed they will be useless after the water evaporates because you glued them and can't refill it.

So many fish.....such little time

BeefCakeScout
03-27-2014, 05:18 PM
You are fishing on water......refill them

JamiJR
03-27-2014, 07:14 PM
I've seen water in those things last a long time back when they made them so they didn't leak. I remember back when I was a kid with a tackle box rather than a vest like I have now opening up the box the next year and still having water in my bobbers.

Beef, I shouldn't have to refill them. The companies need to make them so they don't leak like they used to. Besides, that wastes precious fishing time. I keep about five or more filled and ready to go when I get a snag and lose my rigging, but to pull them out to find them empty when I had them filled that morning is frustrating.

Since they no longer make them so they don't leak I just have to either seal them or start filling them halfway with something that dries clear.