PDA

View Full Version : First Halibut of the Season!

MoMoney
03-23-2014, 06:11 PM
Launched today in Alameda with my buddy Mike to give Halibut a try.We trolled Herring,dodger combos and straight bait all around the Alameda Rockwall and area nearby.No love on the outgo.Anchored up in the shipping channel to give Sharks/Rays a try while we took a break from trolling but only found crabs.With newfound energy we stuck out the incoming and got 1 Halibut for our efforts today.It weighed 11 pounds and hit the chrome dodger combo in 17 feet of water at abut 2:15pm.We tried until 3:30 or so but could not find anymore.Long day in my little aluminum boat and my butt is hating life right now.Weather was awesome, water didnt have much visibility but Enjoyed every minute on the bay today!!

reel_time
03-23-2014, 06:29 PM
Sounds like a lot more fun than the lawn mowing and gardening I got done.:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

sollimes
03-23-2014, 07:05 PM
Nice flatty! I need to hit the bay soon.

F33rNoFish
03-23-2014, 07:32 PM
I was all over the bay today for a total of 4 perch!!!

Haha

Midnight Krawler
03-23-2014, 09:43 PM
Nice catch! How big is your boat? I've been thinking of taking my 15 foot Klamath out there. It's been a long time since I've fished the bay from a small boat. I can't even remember how to fish for halibut let alone troll for them.

MoMoney
03-24-2014, 07:00 AM
Nice catch! How big is your boat? I've been thinking of taking my 15 foot Klamath out there. It's been a long time since I've fished the bay from a small boat. I can't even remember how to fish for halibut let alone troll for them.

I have a 15ft Klamath bayrunner.Its narrower than yours but has a taller bow.I only have a 15hp on it right now also.So your boat would be great.I launched at encinal high school which is right on the fishing grounds.Oyster point and Richmond are also great launches for a small boat with good fishing right close to the ramp.

Midnight Krawler
03-24-2014, 10:58 AM
What kind of setup are you using to troll with? Do you use a dropper weight or downriggers?
I've never trolled for halibut before so any info would help.

My boat is rigged for trout, kokanee and salmon with downriggers. We also troll the Sacramento river for stripers and Salmon but haven't tried the bay yet.

MoMoney
03-24-2014, 05:02 PM
I troll with a 3 way swivel and 10-15" dropper to a sinker 8oz to a pound depending on conditions.The other end of the swivel gets a 24"-30" or so leader tied to a medium sized dodger normally chrome or chartreuse color.Then another leader of 24"-30" or so to a snelled hook followed by a treble hook (sized according to bait size).Sometimes I troll straight bait,or use hootchies.We normally all fish a little different setup to find what works.Go slow 1.5-3 mph WATER SPEED.IF using chovies I rubber band the gills shut and rubber band the stinger to the tail, on herring or sardines only need to rubberband the stinger hook to the tail.Hope that helps

Midnight Krawler
03-24-2014, 08:02 PM
Good info, Thanks

kris k
03-25-2014, 09:23 PM
What's the concensus on giving it a shot Thursday? Crummy halibut tides and recent rain = not worth it ?

nayr
03-26-2014, 11:22 AM
Im going out tomorrow. We actually havnt seen too much rain here in the east bay. Its worth a shot

JB14
03-26-2014, 12:42 PM
Tide is ripping pretty good tomorrow. Best shot would be slack tide from 930am - 11am and then again in the afternoon from like 4 - 5pm. That's near ARW so there's bound to be some variables with that but it's a start.

Kokamojoe
04-01-2014, 10:14 AM
Very nice! I need to make a stop at the Bay on my way home from Bodega. Anyone been fishing over by Alcatraz lately?