PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl Party Recipes?

SuperDave
01-11-2006, 08:07 AM
Any good party recipes out there, wings, dips?

Steve_M
01-30-2006, 02:27 PM
Hinrid....Made your Orignal Dill Potato Salad this weekend..Awsome.... ;)
Super Bowl Sunday I'm going to make your Original Award Winning Chili, and smoke some baby back ribs in my new smoker. :)

* * *GO SEAHAWKS

SuperDave
01-30-2006, 02:39 PM
I've brought the chili to a couple Super Bowl parties and both friends make "Dave's chili" on a regular basis now. *hope you enjoy it as much as the potato salad.

SuperDave
02-01-2006, 08:18 AM
A recipe given to me today by a friend in my office:

BBQ THAI CHICKEN WINGS

4 LBs * * *Chicken Wings (or legs & thighs or whole cut up chicken maybe used as well)

1 Can * * *Coconut Milk* (not canned coconut cream)
2 Tblsp * * *Fish Sauce* (Thai nam pla; or Vietnamese, nuoc mam)
2 or 3 TblspThai Green Curry Paste* (use amount for desired spiciness, more if you dare!)
1 1/2 Tblsp Brown Sugar
2 Tblsp * * *Sake (or dry sherry or dry white wine)
3 Tblsp * * *Cilantro - chopped
1/4 *Cup Green Onions - chopped

„X Wash chicken wings.

„X Mix all ingredients with hand blender until well blended. (or regular blender)

„X Pour green curry marinade over chicken, coat well and marinade in the refrigerator for at least three hours. If possible work marinade under skin. Turn every so often.

„X BBQ over medium grill for 35 to 45 minutes depending on the heat. Turn every 8 minutes or so.

* These ingredients are found in a well stocked grocery store or market that carries Asian food.

SuperDave
01-22-2009, 02:06 PM
I thought I would ressurect this thread to see if anyone could contribute to making it grow.

tc
01-22-2009, 02:19 PM
I'll be building a large Platter of Nacho's with Chorizo, Black Beans, Lettuce, Tomato's, Black Olives, Ortega Chilli's, Avacado's and Multiple Cheeses all melted together, Hot Salsa on the side. After the Nacho's and a few Sierra Nevada's, we probably won't have any room for anything else.

TC http://www.steelheader.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/chromeswimmer3.GIF

SuperDave
01-22-2009, 02:27 PM
That sounds like a good choice TC. I watched the Food Network last night and saw a show making pot stickers and my mouth was watering. Those or some of Carlo's pork lumpia might be in order this year

tc
01-22-2009, 02:45 PM
We love the nacho's, it's usually about a bi-weekly Dinner. *I'd like to try your Thai Chicken Wings but I have to modify everything for the Wife, she don't like any Heat,,,,,,at All, so I have to put the Heat in a dipping sauce. *Some things just don't come out right, when you can't spice it up in the marinade, or during cooking, so I'm pretty used to just cooking separate batches for her and I.

TC *http://www.steelheader.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/chromeswimmer3.GIF

Rusty_Hooks
01-22-2009, 05:19 PM
all right...so the thread is resurrected.....

now where is that chili recipe...let's see....no it's not there.....

[smiley=foottap.gif] ::).........

SuperDave
01-22-2009, 05:31 PM
all right...so the thread is resurrected.....

now where is that chili recipe...let's see....no it's not there.....

[smiley=foottap.gif] ::).........

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1136821350/9#9

Rusty_Hooks
01-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Thank you Dave ;)

Thatsa spicy sauca *:-*

I printed one this time ::) ;)

Boneless cross rib roast...on sale at Safeway....1.99/lb now

MB_Kevin
01-22-2009, 08:32 PM
*Those or some of Carlo's pork lumpia might be in order this year

That would be good with some of that sweet and sour sauce. ;)

metalmouth
01-23-2009, 05:41 AM
BBQ'd Baby Backs are always a Superbowl Favorite! *;)

Mickey_Thomas
01-23-2009, 06:26 AM
Little weenies in bbq sauce is a favorite at my house. ;) Very easy too, I like easy ;D

¿¿¿
01-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Lazy Man's Chili - this actually comes out really good, and your friends will think you're a pro... !

1 container (about 12 oz.) favorite fresh or jar tomato salsa
1 container (about 12 oz.) favorite fresh or jar salsa verde
1 can (or to taste) chipotle chiles with adobo, diced fine
1 bottle of your favorite ale or beer (me like the dark since it has more body)
1 package of chili spice mix or
* 1 tb. cumin
* 1 tb. chili powder
* 1 tb. smoked paprika
* 2 tsp. cayene pepper
* salt to taste
2 bay leaves
Couple of handfuls of tortilla chips, crushed
4 lbs. chuck roast, small diced (or if you're really a lazy man, ask the butcher to do it for you!)
3 cans beans of your choice (I use kidney and black)

Throw it all (except beans) in a crock pot, set it on high 'til it heats through, then set it on low and leave it overnight or for at least 6 hours (or until the meat is very tender). *Drain and rinse beans, add to the pot. *Let it stew for another hour, and go watch the game!

Don't forget the cornbread and honey butter! 8-)

okie
01-23-2009, 03:44 PM
chicken soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 can of low sodium chicken broth
1 can diced tomatos
1 can diced green chilis
1/2 diced green bell pepper
1 diced medium onion
1 stalk celery, diced
1 tbl sp diced halepenos
6 to 8 boneless/skinless chicken breasts or thighs,cut in 1/2" squares.

in a pot get 1 cup oil hot, add chicken and cook just until done, remove from oil.

in medium heat, keep about 2 or 3 tbl spoons oil in pan, saute vegetables until tender, add broth, soups, tomatos, chilis and mix thourghly, add chicken and simmer about 15 minutes.
i add the halepenos for a little more heat, good on fritos.

SuperDave
01-23-2009, 04:47 PM
okie, chicken soup at the Super Bowl? :D :D

okie
01-23-2009, 05:09 PM
when its cold, that hits the spot, especially if you add the halles.

something else that's good, in a tall glass:
2 fingers warm spiced rum, 5 fingers warm rootbeer soda, heaping tbl spoon vanilla ice cream.
i like it but cant eat it anymore.

bill

MB_Kevin
01-24-2009, 12:30 AM
You could throw out some Tuna Boats. *I just found the pic. *I like to serve this when I have kids around camping. *8-)

It is just a hot dog bun filled with tuna fish. Then some lettuce added with some cheese. Toped with gold fish crackers.

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/4319/1002433mh1.jpg

SuperDave
01-24-2009, 07:25 AM
MB, serve that the next time the Seahawks make it to the Super Bowl. ;D Or maybe even the Dolphins. ;)

Hlawatyr
01-24-2009, 11:48 AM
;)Mickey T.

That's my boy's favorite also.put em in a small crock pot with sauce and let warm, along with the bean dip,bbq ribs salsa and chicken wings. [smiley=chowtime.gif]Man can't wait for the game getting hungry just reading this post.

metalmouth
01-24-2009, 11:51 AM
okie, chicken soup at the Super Bowl? * :D :D

I'd rather eat the Chicken soup then Beans and Weenies. ;D

I'm thinking that with the Ribs I'll do some Chicago Cayenne Wings, a little Potato Salad, a version of Dave's dill with some capers and a few other tricks. Probably some Oven Fries, Clam Dip and Guacamole, maybe a Chicken Caesar, and of course a full bar!

Toxic_Waste
01-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Mini Reuben Sammies
1 (11-ounce) package Stouffer's Creamed Chipped Beef
2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
1/2 cup sauerkraut, well drained
4 green onions, minced
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tblsps. Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 cup Thousand Island dressing
28 rye or pumpernickel cocktail-sized bread slices
Vegetable cooking spray

1. Thaw creamed chipped beef in microwave at medium (50 percent power) 6 to 7 minutes. Stir together creamed chipped beef, cheese and next 5 ingredients.
2. Spread Thousand Island dressing evenly over 1 side of each bread slice, top evenly with beef mixture. Place on baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
3. Bake at 375 for 8 to 10 minutes or until puffed and golden.

Toxic_Waste
01-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Fried Ravioli
1 (16-ounce) package frozen cheese ravioli, thawed
2 large eggs, beaten
2 tblsps. milk
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2 cups bread crumbs
Vegetable oil for frying
1 (26 to 28-oz.) jar marinara sauce, heated

1. Heat oil in deep-fat fryer to 300 degrees.
2. Beat the eggs with the milk, season with salt and pepper. Dip ravioli into egg mixture and then coat with bread crumbs. Fry about 4 to 6 ravioli at a time. Drain on paper towels. Serve with warm marinara sauce to dip in.

Toxic_Waste
01-24-2009, 12:40 PM
Cilantro lime shrimp
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup lime or orange marmalade
3 large garlic cloves, finely minced
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, stems removed and chopped
4 tblsps. olive oil, divided
1 tblsp. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. dried hot red pepper flakes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 pound large shrimp, raw, shelled, leaving tail intact, and deveined

1. In a measuring cup, whisk together lime juice, marmalade, garlic, cilantro, 3 tblsps. oil, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper; reserve 1/3 cup mixture in a small bowl for dipping.
2. In a large zip-lock-style plastic bag, combine shrimp with remaining mixture and marinate, turning occasionally to coat shrimp, for 45 minutes in the refrigerator.
3. Drain shrimp and lightly pat dry between paper towels. In a large, non-stick skillet, heat 1/2 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat until hot; saute half of shrimp until golden brown and cooked through, about 1 1/2 minutes on each side. Saute remaining shrimp in remaining 1/2 tblsp. oil in same manner. Serve shrimp with dipping sauce, hot or cold.

Toxic_Waste
01-24-2009, 12:41 PM
Here are some cool recipes for Super Bowl that use BEER:

Beer Dip
Try this with pretzels.
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 (1 ounce) package ranch dressing mix
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (any type)
1/3 cup beer

1. In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese and dressing mix. Stir in Cheddar cheese, and then beer. The mixture will appear mushy.
2. Cover bowl, and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, overnight if possible.

Fishboy's Beer Belly Shrimp
2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails attached
1 cup beer
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon hot sauce (or more to taste)

1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Stir well to coat the shrimp. Place in a large shallow dish and refrigerate. Let marinate for 2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
2. Heat oven broiler. Drain shrimp. Thread shrimp through body and tail onto six 14-inch skewers so the shrimp will lie flat. Place skewers on a lightly greased rack of a broiler pan.
3. Broil 5 inches from heat for 3 minutes. Turn skewers and broil for an additional 1 to 2 minutes, or until shrimp turn pink. Serve warm with cold beer. Makes 6 skewers.

Dizzy Pineapple Bread
1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks
2 3/4 cups self-rising flour
1/3 cup white sugar
1 (12 ounces) can or bottle beer

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease one 9 by 5 inch baking pan.
2. Combine the pineapple, flour, sugar and beer. Do not overmix! Pour batter into the prepared pan.
3. Bake for about 1 hour or until bread tests done.

Beer cookies
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/4 cups room temperature beer
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 350. Cream together the butter and brown sugar. Cut in flour, baking soda and cinnamon. Blend in beer slowly to form a soft dough. You can either mix walnuts into dough or place them on top of each cookie before baking.
2. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto lightly-greased baking sheets. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly brown. Cool one minute on baking sheet and remove to wire rack. Makes 2 to 3 dozen.

metalmouth
01-24-2009, 12:55 PM
The Lime Shrimp is great but I've got to try the Beer Cookies! *:)

MB_Kevin
01-25-2009, 12:23 AM
I have done the Fried Ravioli and those are great!

Farrier_Frank
01-26-2009, 06:25 AM
The heck with the game. I just want to go over to Toxic Waste's house and EAT. 8-)

xcrossroad
01-26-2009, 08:21 AM
All these Beere Recipes sound good. I posted a recipe on the board for Killer Chile Verde. Now mind ya it doesn't take any beer to make it but to eat it it might take a couple. The recipe comes out quite spicy and if you make it and put it in a crock pot on warm it will last all day and actually gets better the longer it sets. It's actually better if you make it on Saturday and refrigirate it and then bring out and warm it up just before the game starts. Grab a big bag of your favorite tortillas and a couple of cold Pacifico's take a double shot of Patron and set back and watch what should be a great football game.

Rusty_Hooks
01-26-2009, 06:18 PM
The heck with the game. I just want to go over to Toxic Waste's house and EAT. 8-)
I'm with you Frank ;)

okie
01-26-2009, 07:48 PM
meatballs

1 pkg italian style meatballs
2 bottles heinz chili sauce
sriracha hot chili sauce to taste
grape jelly to taste

cook meatballs per instruction
in a pot, over low heat, heat chili sauce and 1 Tbls grape jelly, heat slowly until jelly melts, adjust jelly amount to your taste. DO NOT GET TO HOT OR JELLY WILL BURN!
add dah of sriracha hot chili sauce to taste
add meatballs and heat for 10 to 15 minutes, LOW HEAT

Mickey_Thomas
01-27-2009, 08:40 AM
okie, chicken soup at the Super Bowl? * :D :D

I'd rather eat the Chicken soup then Beans and Weenies. *;D

I'm thinking that with the Ribs I'll do some Chicago Cayenne Wings, a little Potato Salad, a version of Dave's dill with some capers and a few other tricks. Probably some Oven Fries, Clam Dip and Guacamole, maybe a Chicken Caesar, and of course a full bar! I've got some wings to cook for the SB MM, enlighten me with your Chicago Cayenne Wings recipe ;)

metalmouth
01-27-2009, 08:43 AM
These come out awesome!

Spicy Buffalo Wings

Ingredients:
2-Lbs. Chicken Wings or Drummetes
1 ½-Cup Cider Vinegar
1-tsp. Salt
2-Dashes Tabasco
½-tsp. Pepper
½-tsp. Garlic
½-tsp. Onion Powder
1-Egg (Beaten)
3-tsp. Cayenne Pepper
Ranch Dressing (Dipping Sauce)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Combine marinade and brush on chicken.
Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
Brush on more sauce. (Do not cross contaminate sauce)
Uncover and broil for 10 more minutes.

Mickey_Thomas
01-27-2009, 08:47 AM
That's what I like, instant answers to my many questions ;D Sounds great, I might give it a go :D
* One more question, tsp= tea spoon or table spoon? :o

metalmouth
01-27-2009, 08:48 AM
tsp. = Teaspoon
Tbs. = Tablespoon

Mickey_Thomas
01-27-2009, 08:58 AM
Got it, thanks Don, us rookies have to ask or big mistakes might happen ;D I'm doing the low carb thing again, I didn't want to drown them in BBQ sauce, your recipe looks "low carb" and gooooooood :D

metalmouth
01-27-2009, 09:03 AM
The recipe came from a restaurant in Buffalo that's been there for 50 years. *It's the real deal. *;)

SuperDave
01-27-2009, 09:11 AM
The 1 1/2 cups of vinegar threw me, wouldn't have ever guess that much vinegar.

tc
01-27-2009, 01:46 PM
We will generally deep fry our wings after a good dusting with a seasoned flour then sauce then individually, as the Wife don't do heat, and I do lot's of it, but this looks tasty MM.

DazShooter
01-27-2009, 02:05 PM
If you're making wings at home and using the frozen kind from a bag instead of fresh wings, I suggest reducing the heat to 325 and cooking uncovered on a jerky rack for 40 min. Otherwise, even with uncovering at the end, you end up with wings that are more steamed than baked and have been sitting in that funky salt solution they freeze the wings in. The rack also eliminates the need to flip the wings once while cooking. Just place some foil underneath the rack to catch the drippings. Coat the wings by tossing them with sauce in a large bowl.

metalmouth
01-27-2009, 02:57 PM
Usually you can just rinse them with fresh water and they work out fine. If you are going to use a baking rack on a half sheet pan I would marinate them in the sauce for 30 minutes before cooking.

Mickey_Thomas
01-27-2009, 03:19 PM
The recipe came from a restaurant in Buffalo that's been there for 50 years. *It's the real deal. *;)Well, that's a horse of a different color, Chicago wings from Buffalo? ::) What about Dave's comment on the 1 1/2 cups vinegar? Is he questioning your recipe? >:(

metalmouth
01-27-2009, 04:18 PM
The recipe came from a restaurant in Buffalo that's been there for 50 years. *It's the real deal. *;)Well, that's a horse of a different color, Chicago wings from Buffalo? ::) What about Dave's comment on the 1 1/2 cups vinegar? Is he questioning your recipe? >:(

Sorry, meant to type Buffalo. Must have been in a hurry. *;)
Cider Vinegar is the main ingredients in most wing sauce. ::)

¿¿¿
01-27-2009, 10:27 PM
I thought this was the main ingredient in wing sauce...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41NAC7G825L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I guess I haven't been eating 'real' buffalo wings!

metalmouth
01-28-2009, 06:11 AM
I thought this was the main ingredient in wing sauce...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41NAC7G825L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I guess I haven't been eating 'real' buffalo wings!
What is the first ingredient in Franks?

metalmouth
01-28-2009, 06:18 AM
I checked, it is vinegar the same as the rest. ;)

It's way low on the hotness scale and the taste, well it isn't a wing sauce. ;D

Frank's RedHot Original 450
Frank's RedHot Buffalo Wing Sauce 284
Frank's RedHot Buffalo Sandwich Sauce 305
Frank's RedHot Gold Fever Zing Sauce 272
TABASCO Red 3,050
Texas Pete 747

The number represents heat.

tc
01-28-2009, 07:10 AM
There you all go,,,,, now I'm gonna hafta make Wings to go along with my Nacho's, though the wife just likes hers with Mesquete Barbeque Sauce, me I like a combination of Tiger sauce and pure Habenero Sauce. To each his own, that's why this board is so much fun.

SuperDave
01-28-2009, 07:16 AM
How about some sausages smoked on the smoker, sliced and served with gourmet mustard?

tc
01-28-2009, 07:30 AM
This is just getting to good, I'm not going to be able to walk on Monday.

metalmouth
01-28-2009, 09:19 AM
Sausage it's what's for supper. Braise it in beer and minced garlic for 15 minutes before sending it to the grill or smoker. A bit of Sauerkraut and some good seeded mustard! Yum!

Mickey_Thomas
01-28-2009, 09:29 AM

Sorry, meant to type Buffalo. Must have been in a hurry. *;)
Cider Vinegar is the main ingredients in most wing sauce. *::)
Now I have to change the title of my new recipe :-/ I named it;
"Mickey's Chicago Buffalo wings" ;D

metalmouth
01-28-2009, 09:42 AM
Chicago Style Buffalo Wings does have a nice ring! It's probably a Freudian slip with all those Illinois politicians being in the news lately. :-? ::) ;D

tc
01-28-2009, 10:24 AM
I'll be doing some sausages on the BarB, but they will be Chorizo, some for the Nacho's, and some for finger food with a Guacamole Dip.

¿¿¿
01-28-2009, 10:49 AM
I checked, it is vinegar the same as the rest. *;)

It's way low on the hotness scale and the taste, well it isn't a wing sauce. *;D

TABASCO Red 3,050
Texas Pete 747

Yeah, I knew that the 'other' ingredient in Frank's is vinegar, but I just never saw it broken down in a recipe. I guess that's no different than many other recipes that take 'shortcuts' rather than making it from scratch which is what your recipe is doing. Cool. I always have to 'fortify' Frank's sauce to make it spicy the way I like anyway... ::)

You see what you've done MM? Many chickens will lose their appendages this weekend... ;D

I like to serve mine with three sauces on the side (I make the wings 'seasoned' and ready to take additional sauce)

- Mae Ploy (straight out of the bottle onto a wing, is seriously good; with some thai chili and basil chopped in, is amazing)
- BBQ
- Buffalo / bleu cheese

Mickey_Thomas
01-29-2009, 06:57 AM
Chicago Style Buffalo Wings does have a nice ring! It's probably a Freudian slip with all those Illinois politicians being in the news lately. *:-? ::) ;D
I think you missed the joke MM ::)

"Mickey's Chicago Buffalo wings" ;D Before I've even cooked then I stole you recipe :D and put my name on it ;D ;D

metalmouth
01-29-2009, 08:58 AM
Chicago Style Buffalo Wings does have a nice ring! It's probably a Freudian slip with all those Illinois politicians being in the news lately. *:-? ::) ;D
I think you missed the joke MM ::)

"Mickey's Chicago Buffalo wings" *;D Before I've even cooked then I stole you recipe :D and put my name on it ;D ;D
I got it but there is no bigger compliment than someone stealing your recipe and putting their name on it.
8-) ;D 8-)

SuperDave
01-29-2009, 02:13 PM
What do you guys think about this one? [smiley=worthy.gif]

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/28/dining/28bacon.html?_r=1&no_interstitial

tc
01-29-2009, 02:36 PM
I checked, it is vinegar the same as the rest. *;)

It's way low on the hotness scale and the taste, well it isn't a wing sauce. *;D

TABASCO Red 3,050
Texas Pete 747

Yeah, I knew that the 'other' ingredient in Frank's is vinegar, but I just never saw it broken down in a recipe. *I guess that's no different than many other recipes that take 'shortcuts' rather than making it from scratch which is what your recipe is doing. *Cool. *I always have to 'fortify' Frank's sauce to make it spicy the way I like anyway... *::)

You see what you've done MM? *Many chickens will lose their appendages this weekend... *;D

I like to serve mine with three sauces on the side (I make the wings 'seasoned' and ready to take additional sauce)

- Mae Ploy (straight out of the bottle onto a wing, is seriously good; with some thai chili and basil chopped in, is amazing)
- BBQ
- Buffalo / bleu cheese

Mae Ploy?...........What is this?

Tom http://www.steelheader.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/chromeswimmer3.GIF

SuperDave
01-29-2009, 02:45 PM

Tom

Asian Hot Sh%t. ;D ;D

tc
01-29-2009, 03:29 PM
What do you guys think about this one? * *[smiley=worthy.gif]

I think I've died and gone to heaven.
[smiley=tongue2.gif] [smiley=tongue2.gif] [smiley=tongue2.gif] [smiley=tongue2.gif] [smiley=tongue2.gif] [smiley=tongue2.gif]

Tom *http://www.steelheader.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/chromeswimmer3.GIF

tc
01-29-2009, 03:31 PM

Tom * *

Asian Hot Sh%t. * ;D ;D

I like Asian Hot Sh%t. Just never heard of Mae Ploy.

SuperDave
01-29-2009, 03:42 PM
I don't even care if it makes my heart stop. :D

[smiley=tongue2.gif] [smiley=tongue2.gif] [smiley=tongue2.gif] [smiley=tongue2.gif] [smiley=tongue2.gif] [smiley=tongue2.gif]

tc
01-29-2009, 03:45 PM
I don't even care if it makes my heart stop. * :D

I think that's all that keeps mine ticking.

¿¿¿
01-29-2009, 05:11 PM

Tom * *

Asian Hot Sh%t. * ;D ;D

I like Asian Hot Sh%t. *Just never heard of Mae Ploy.

;D

It's actually more sweet than hot. It's pretty tasty stuff though. If you've ever eaten at a Thai restaurant, you've probably had it before...
http://www.tablematters.com/index.php/rss-section/83-rss-category/528-mae-ploy-sweet-chili-sauce

MB_Kevin
01-29-2009, 05:43 PM
WOW SuperDave you have to make that. 8-) [smiley=chowtime.gif]

Prowler
01-29-2009, 05:56 PM
WOW SuperDave you have to make that. 8-) [smiley=chowtime.gif]
No kidding. That looks yummy. That reminded me of a show on the Food Network where Emeril made homemade andouille-stuffed, bacon wrapped
double-cut pork chops with ham hock gravy. Talk about an artery clogger :o

P.S. I have that recipe if anyone's interested.

spinfisher
01-29-2009, 07:10 PM
For a Fishsniffer Superbowl nibble, try "Fingerfood Fish Cakes"

Start with firm white fish - halibut, rockfish, striper. This works well with fish that has been frozen a while.

For a cup of diced raw fish, add 2 cups diced raw potatoes, and boil until potatoes are almost done.

Drain, cool, add an egg, a Tbs of butter, salt and pepper. Mix and beat until the potatoes aren't lumpy.

Add to taste: chopped scallions, chilis, grated cheddar cheese, perhaps a dash of tabasco, or chipotle paste. (The amount of stuff you add shouldn't be so much that the cakes won't hang together)

Form little 1 inch cakes or balls, roll lightly in cornmeal or crumbs, and fry until firm and nicely browned.

Pick your favorite dipping sauce, and bring them out! :D

(The recipe can be modified many ways - it can be a dill flavoring, and dip in tzatziki, or curry flavor, etc....)

metalmouth
01-29-2009, 07:15 PM
(The amount of stuff you add shouldn't be so much that the cakes won't hang together)

. . . or add more egg and a dash of bread crumbs [smiley=chowtime.gif]! ;D

Farrier_Frank
01-30-2009, 07:53 AM

That is truly sick.... but I gotta give it a try.

Reading the revues this was the best suggestion: "They should make drive-through angioplasty, it would make this much easier."

DazShooter
01-30-2009, 01:35 PM

That is truly sick.... but I gotta give it a try.

Reading the revues this was the best suggestion: "They should make drive-through angioplasty, it would make this much easier."

If you guys really crave something that will kill you, check out this place. I wonder if franchise opps are available?

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4632991n?source=mostpop_video

Mickey_Thomas
01-30-2009, 07:39 PM
(The amount of stuff you add shouldn't be so much that the cakes won't hang together)

. *. *. *or add more egg and a dash of bread crumbs [smiley=chowtime.gif]! *;DToo many carbs MM ;) we'll have to lose the potatoes too :D ;D

MB_Kevin
01-30-2009, 08:40 PM
WOW DazShooter
That sounds like a good place to eat :o

SuperDave
01-31-2009, 09:41 AM
WOW DazShooter
*That sounds like a good place to eat *:o

Sounds or looks? ;D ;D

MB_Kevin
01-31-2009, 06:25 PM
If it looked any better it would probably have to *be deleted. *;D :P ::)

Toxic_Waste
02-01-2009, 01:36 PM
That Heart Attack Grill is a great idea. People should be able to decide for themselves whether or not they want to nibble on rabbit food or delve into something greasy and tasty.

I knew a man who was told, "You can eat right and maybe live longer or you can eat the foods you love and maybe die sooner." He replied, "If I can't enjoy life, why would I want to live longer?"

I am tired of everything we do being over-regulated. If I want to eat healthy I will, and if I want some greasy cheese fries or a quarter-pounder, it should be my own business and my own choice.

YAY for the Heart Attack Grill! It represents free choice. Those burgers looked SO good!

tc
02-02-2009, 06:00 AM
That Heart Attack Grill is a great idea. People should be able to decide for themselves whether or not they want to nibble on rabbit food or delve into something greasy and tasty.

I knew a man who was told, "You can eat right and maybe live longer or you can eat the foods you love and maybe die sooner." He replied, "If I can't enjoy life, why would I want to live longer?"

I am tired of everything we do being over-regulated. If I want to eat healthy I will, and if I want some greasy cheese fries or a quarter-pounder, it should be my own business and my own choice.

YAY for the Heart Attack Grill! It represents free choice. Those burgers looked SO good!

I agree completly, I just know that one of these days we will read a report from the American Medical Society touting the heart healthy benefits of bacon.

Toxic_Waste
02-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Oh yes......bacon! YUM!

I sometimes make some really good snacks by wrapping buttery crackers (such as Waverly or Ritz) in raw bacon. Then you roll the bacon-wrapped cracker in brown sugar and bake them in the oven until the bacon is cooked and the sugar is glazed and caramelized. Very tasty....and so NOT good for you!

CJC
02-02-2009, 10:48 AM
We had a peruvian delicacy yesterday. 8 lbs of deep fried pork butt along with fried yam chips served on a french bread and topped with pico de gallo.

Chicharron con camote frito. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3174/2463028918_da394621f8.jpg?v=0

tc
02-02-2009, 10:58 AM
That sounds tasty, a new use for Pork Butt.

¿¿¿
02-02-2009, 01:03 PM
We had a peruvian delicacy yesterday. 8 lbs of deep fried pork butt along with fried yam chips served on a french bread and topped with pico de gallo.

Chicharron con camote frito. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3174/2463028918_da394621f8.jpg?v=0

I thought deep-fried pork butt was AKA carnitas? Wow, JT, you've got some appetite eating 8lbs of it! :D ;D ::)

CJC
02-02-2009, 01:24 PM
I thought deep-fried pork butt was AKA carnitas? Wow, JT, you've got some appetite eating 8lbs of it! :D ;D ::)

Carnitas is the mexican/central american version. But that is baked after browning and has other ingredients.

Can't you tell how much I eat? :D ;D ;D ;D

okie
02-02-2009, 02:16 PM
comp, why dont you ever invite me to dinner when i'm down there???
bill

¿¿¿
02-02-2009, 02:26 PM
I thought deep-fried pork butt was AKA carnitas? *Wow, JT, you've got some appetite eating 8lbs of it! *:D ;D ::)

Carnitas is the mexican/central american version. But that is baked after browning and has other ingredients.

Can't you tell how much I eat? *:D ;D ;D ;D

If your Mexican restaurant is 'baking' their carnitas, you need to kick them to the curb. :-X

Carnitas is slowly fried in lard when done 'right'. I use that dish as a litmus test for a Mexican restaurant. Some places will not take the time to do it the traditional way and it comes through (or doesn't as the case may be) in the final product. No other way to get those crispy, flavor-packed end pieces than to let 'em cruise in some lard! It is also not a heavily seasoned dish (other than the condiments you add to it). Carnitas on its own is intensely porkish, but not much else.

For your consideration...
http://www.mexicowoods.com/files/a84e2bbe313833d4aadbeaaf0e55ac8c-561.html

Let's go do some carnitas some time! ;)

CJC
02-02-2009, 05:46 PM
You are right mooch. The process is the same but spices may be different. The difference I see in the mexican carnitas is that it is soggy but the peruvian "chicharron" Is more crisp and is served differently.

http://gastronomiasiglo21.blogspot.com/
Translation:

Chicharron in Peru it is the name of a dish where pieces of pig meat with skin cook in it's own fat and water seasoned only with salt. Served with fried sweet potatoes or boiled potatoes and toasted maize and Creole sauce (onion minced to the thread with lemon and pieces of mint). In the Andean zone chicharrón is served with mote (toasted corn).

Also chicharrón sandwich being a favorite of the people in the city of Lima, is known as bread and chicharrón.

In the first encounter between native Spaniards during the conquest of the Inca empire, the exchange of pieces of fried Iberian pork for potatoes, sweet potatoes and the native maize took place. Francisco Pizarro (the conqueror), who raised pigs in his childhood, was the main fan to this wholesome dish during the beginnings of the Spanish colonization.

Other forms of chicharrón existing in Peru are those that are prepared with chicken, calamary and also with fish and seafood, this last one is known as mixed chicharrón.

Let's go do some carnitas some time!
Sounds like a project for the next BBQ? But it takes so much time to do, unless we do my shortcut method. ;D ;D ;D

¿¿¿
02-02-2009, 06:03 PM
Sounds like a project for the next BBQ? *But it takes so much time to do, unless we do my shortcut method. *;D ;D ;D

Carnitas are totally do-ahead. I'd prep them ahead and re-crisp them over the grill/bbq.

Tacos anyone? :)

metalmouth
02-02-2009, 07:13 PM
I'm all in . . . they sound awesome! [smiley=chowtime.gif]

MB_Kevin
02-02-2009, 08:18 PM
Looks like a good meal compadrejt! I have to try some fried yam chips 8-)

tc
02-03-2009, 07:17 AM
I just got some fresh pork butts last night after reading this, It's on the menu for tonight.

CJC
02-03-2009, 10:25 AM
I just got some fresh pork butts last night after reading this, It's on the menu for tonight.

TC, if you follow the instructions given on the translation make sure you add a good portion of vegetable oil in because the regular pork butts really don't have enough fat to crisp it up. I actually deep-fry it with vegetable oil from the start. They are not that tough to have to soften them up by boiling. I kind of like it a little chewy but crispy myself.

tc
02-03-2009, 10:36 AM
I will do as you suggest. I always follow a Recipe........ the first time.

¿¿¿
02-03-2009, 10:42 AM

TC, if you follow the instructions given on the translation make sure you add a good portion of vegetable oil in because the regular pork butts really don't have enough fat to crisp it up. I actually deep-fry it with vegetable oil from the start. They are not that tough to have to soften them up by boiling. I kind of like it a little chewy but crispy myself.

I only have one word for you TC - LARD!

:D

tc
02-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Of course Lard, is there anything else to cook with?
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

CJC
02-03-2009, 02:18 PM
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Yea, you might as well buy the pork fat and toss it in first. Forget the processed lard. ;D ;D ;D

¿¿¿
02-03-2009, 02:24 PM
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Yea, you might as well buy the pork fat and toss it in first. Forget the processed lard. ;D ;D ;D

Now you're just talkin' crazy. :D

Processed lard will not smoke on you like the raw stuff. In the end though, it's all good. Notice I didn't say good FOR you! [smiley=pig.gif]

CJC
02-03-2009, 02:29 PM
That's not talking crazy mooch. If you want flavor, that's the best way to get it. ;)

¿¿¿
02-03-2009, 03:23 PM
That's not talking crazy mooch. If you want flavor, that's the best way to get it. ;)

Yes, I realize that. I should have added a winkie too. ;)

Nothin' like pork fat and chicken fat for that matter.

We should not be having this sort of conversation, especially if some are trying to hold to their new year's resolutions....

What resolution? ;D :D ;D

So what did you all ACTUALLY make for Superbowl Sunday? I made pulled pork sandwiches. Pork butt smoked for 8 hours, buttery soft rolls, creamy cole slaw all topped with a nice bbq sauce. The ultimate compliment I got was from a guy who was from the Carolinas and said it was good. 8-)

Sorry, no pics so you all will have to wait for a fest or something!

CJC
02-03-2009, 03:51 PM
I am not one that will follow the convention too well. I usually modify the recipes to my own taste.

So in other words,

* I did not like the pork to have all that fat as the original dish did so I used pork butt. Then I had to use vegetable oil to replace the pork fat.

* The pork in Peru is tougher and chewy so they have to boil it till it is soft before frying, hence the recipe calls for boiling till the pork is tender and then fry in it's own fat. Our pork here is tender and does not require boiling the flavors out of the pork before frying. So I use a quart of Mazola, rub the 2"cubes of pork with salt and fry it till crisp in medium high heat. The more meat you have in the pot the higher the heat applied. The result is that it will brown just enough to cook through and will be juicy and tasty as well.

Then I slice the meat in thin pieces and stick them in a piece of French bread along with some fried yam chips and pico de gallo.

Fast and tasty, I hate slow cooking meals. ;D ;D ;D

metalmouth
02-04-2009, 04:14 AM
You might do it in a couple of batches CJT, so that you don't have an accident with the cranked up heat. A candy thermometer is handy if you don't have a deep fat fryer . . . ;D :o ;)