PDA

View Full Version : Sardines for bait?

hanahou7
03-26-2014, 06:50 AM
Hey Guys,

I was wondering why everyone says to use herring and/or anchovy for bait while ocean fishing, but in the rivers we typically wrap Kfish with sardines. Why not use sardines for bait on the ocean as well?. Anyone ever have success/failure using sardines? I figure salmon would hit anything, but it's my first year on the ocean so I really don't know.

I'm just asking because at some of the Asian markets you can pick up nice sized and fresh sardines for about .17 each. I remember when we were fishing the rivers last year I was able to buy a dozen sardines for like, $2, and thought that was a killer deal. No luck on fresh anchovies or herring there though.

JB14
03-26-2014, 01:40 PM
We always use anchovies and herring. I can't answer you on whether or not sardines will work. We never use them.

Why buy fresh? Buy quality tray bait and use them up.

hanahou7
03-26-2014, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the reply, I was just curious since the sardines were pretty decent sizes and pretty cheap in comparison to the bait trays I've seen. The trays I saw were running about $8 for 12 and I was thinking if sardines worked just as well, I could just try those since I could get 12 for $2.

I think I'll just go with anchovy trays just to be safe haha. Maybe take a couple sardines in case I am getting skunked and out of ideas.

JB14
03-26-2014, 02:58 PM
I just bought trays of anchovies at Dick's Sporting Goods for $4.99 for 12

hanahou7
03-26-2014, 04:16 PM
Awesome, that's a great price compared to here in San Jose! I've gone to a few places and it's either frozen or the anchovy trays for $8.99 :(

JB14
03-26-2014, 05:31 PM
Small herring on top.
Anchovies in the middle.
Large herring on bottom for the big fellas.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/27/y6u3abup.jpg

fitz22
03-26-2014, 07:46 PM
Early in season cooler water temps not as many dines around so the salmon are feeding on krill and anchovies. Later in season as temps go up and fin bait(anchovies herring and sardines) are more prevalent the salmon begin to key in on them. I love fishing large fresh dead and properly frozen sardines. Trolling or mooching as big as 12".

hanahou7
03-26-2014, 09:43 PM
Awesome! Thanks Fitz! I'll def try and use some fresh anchovies later in the season. Thanks for sharing!

cptdarel
03-29-2014, 09:02 AM
if you can get hold of GOOD Sardine, used it!! a damd good bait, I split a case with another fisherman, wish I would have bought the whole case, great producer!.