PDA

View Full Version : Catch and release

Kokamojoe
04-01-2014, 04:24 AM
This subject came up recently, and thought I would share my opinion on this noble cause. On Lake Tahoe our main sport fish would be the Lake Trout or Mackinaw. Lake trout are no longer stocked and we rely on natural production. Currently there is a 2 Mackinaw limit per angler law or 5 trout. We also have a kokanee salmon population as well, but these fish only live for 3 years before spawning and then natural death. The abundance of kokanee in Tahoe even allows for taking of eggs for other fisheries. There is a limit of 5 kokanee per angler. Catch and release of kokanee is not as comparable to trout or mackinaw. Most kokanee don't survive a catch and release and they typically only live for 3 years. A Mackinaw on the other hand can live 50 + years. If your going to take fish home for dinner, I would suggest keeping the smaller Mack's and let the old farts go. If your going to practice catch and release, then do it right. If your fishing for browns, rainbows or Mack's think about how to maximize the odds of survival after a noble release. I see to many guys preaching about catch and release only to see 3 treble hooks on their lures or holding the fish out of water for the photo shoot. Try using a single barbless hook for catch and release and unhooking the fish while it's still in the water. For deep Mackinaw, try bringing the fish up slower to allow the air bladder to adjust. If you fizz the fish, make sure you know what in the hell your doing, because most people end up killing the fish by poking holes where they shouldn't. Another method is to send the Mack back down on the downrigger. I have had good success just pointing the Mack head first towards the bottom and giving him a good push toward the bottom of the lake. Keeping your catch is fine as well, just remember you don't need to fill the freezer. The only exception to this rule, would be keeping the smoker full of kokanee. Again, if your going catch and release, go to a single barbless and limit the photo shoot time. Cheers

Jfitalia
04-01-2014, 06:08 AM
I hate seeing pics of big dead Macks from Tahoe or anywhere.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

heatsource
04-01-2014, 06:16 AM
I hate seeing pics of big dead Macks from Tahoe.

me too!!!

Captain Compassion
04-01-2014, 07:34 AM
The trend at both state and federal levels is to eliminate invasive species in lakes and rivers in favor of native fish species. Lake Tahoe and it's drainage is native waters for the federally threatened Lahontan cutthroat trout. At some point the courts and state and federal government will order that non-native fish in this drainage should be eliminated from these waters. Obivously Tahoe can't be poisoned but I do believe that fishing limits on Macks, Browns, Bows and Kokes will be eliminated.

CC

Jfitalia
04-01-2014, 07:38 AM
I doubt that will happen. Those fish are a big draw for the lake. Plus look at stripers as an example. They are an invasive species as well. Yet they thrive because of the outcry of support.

Captain Compassion
04-01-2014, 08:03 AM
I doubt that will happen. Those fish are a big draw for the lake. Plus look at stripers as an example. They are an invasive species as well. Yet they thrive because of the outcry of support.

Sense when has the will of the people been taken into account when government policy has decided otherwise? The judges and bureaucrats who make the decisions on this don't fish Tahoe. Most don't even know where it is.

CC

Jfitalia
04-01-2014, 08:08 AM
Sense when has the will of the people been taken into account when government policy has decided otherwise? The judges and bureaucrats who make the decisions on this don't fish Tahoe. Most don't even know where it is.

CC

I think because they wouldn't stop complaining about the money that would be lost. Remember money trumps everything. Lol

Captain Compassion
04-01-2014, 08:37 AM
I think because they wouldn't stop complaining about the money that would be lost. Remember money trumps everything.

The 2006 lawsuit by the Pacific Rivers Council and the Center for Biological Diversity against CDFW sets the agenda. Non native trouts are now actively being eliminated from the Carson drainage in favor of LCT. This is the future of Tahoe. The state and federal governments have more money (and lawyers) than those few folks who live in the Tahoe area and would be economically effected. I suspect that environmental groups would wade in to this as well.

CC

salmonid
04-01-2014, 09:06 AM
I think you're correct, CC.

Already happening with the "non-native" and "invasive" lake trout in Montana. They poison them when they can, open limits up when they can't.

I don't really have an opinion about Tahoe, but catching some of those big LCT's there would be pretty cool. I think they stocked some in there recently as a test program or something.

Best,

The 2006 lawsuit by the Pacific Rivers Council and the Center for Biological Diversity against CDFW sets the agenda. Non native trouts are now actively being eliminated from the Carson drainage in favor of LCT. This is the future of Tahoe. The state and federal governments have more money (and lawyers) than those few folks who live in the Tahoe area and would be economically effected. I suspect that environmental groups would wade in to this as well.

CC