PDA

View Full Version : Is shore salmon fishing a thing?

Fishing Fanatic
04-01-2014, 05:17 PM
I've never fished in the ocean, I'm new to any type of salmon fishing but I'm going to the ocean this weekend and I'm having a fishing urge

JB14
04-01-2014, 05:40 PM
Never heard of it. Early season were 10-20 miles off the coast searching for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

salmonid
04-01-2014, 06:07 PM
In some areas and times of the season you can catch them very near shore.

There's a beach in Marin Co. where you can drag and launch car topper boats and do OK during the summer (forgot the name), also up at Shelter cove I think. Both of these are pretty much boating though.

They do acclimate salmon smolts in a couple of places and the fish return to them. One such place is Santa Cruz harbor, but I think that the salmon return later in the season.

Take care,

Lyla&Jace
04-01-2014, 06:29 PM
Benicia State Park and 1st Street there are salmon that are caught off the bank/pier late in the season around August/September. From what I've been told and the couple times i've tried boaters dont do well but for whatever reason when the salmon are running through that area the people on the bank/pier have the most luck

yonnr2000
04-03-2014, 07:12 PM
I have heard of people catching salmon from Pacifica Pier as well as Dungeness Crab.

F33rNoFish
04-09-2014, 07:09 PM
I've seen schools of large salmon (heard they were steelhead) skimming the top of the water while pier fishing Santa Cruz wharf. Don't recall the season but it was warm!

salmonid
04-09-2014, 08:04 PM
There is a net pen program down there where Feather river fall run salmon smolts are acclimated in pens in the SC harbor. They return there when mature.

So, salmon do come back there I think in the fall.

Best,

I've seen schools of large salmon (heard they were steelhead) skimming the top of the water while pier fishing Santa Cruz wharf. Don't recall the season but it was warm!

ghostfish_slayer
04-10-2014, 07:12 AM
There is a net pen program down there where Feather river fall run salmon smolts are acclimated in pens in the SC harbor. They return there when mature.

So, salmon do come back there I think in the fall.

Best,

this year they closed the entire harbor to shore fishing except the jettys and jacks out front.. 3 seasons ago they closed one little part of it.. then last season they only allowed us to fish in that same little part creating a hazard to us.. the same part they closed the year before.. last year they wrote trespass tickets to people fishing out of their little control freak zone.. they also made their own fishing regulations,, kids only days.. now they closed it all.. fish and lame wont do their job and keep them from doing what they want regarding fishing regulations, shore fishing the ocean waters of the state... they act like they own it.. i have been fishing in there for 30+ years.. my kids fish in there.. i have been catching salmon in there for over 10+ years.. not just salmon halibut perch rock fish striped bass and rays.. now i can't fish in there..

F33rNoFish
04-10-2014, 07:56 AM
That sucks man. Wonder if the mooring ppl stopped it

salmonid
04-10-2014, 08:01 AM
Interesting, ghost.

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/news/ci_23979284/allen-bushnell-fish-rap-salmon-anglers-flooding-santa

Teldor
04-10-2014, 10:59 AM
I went down to the Santa Cruz harbor when the salmon were in there last fall... It was unbelieveable! the space we were "allowed" to fish was about 20 feet or so wide and had 30-50+ anglers all day long people literally casting over your shoulders because we were 2-3 rows deep shoulder to shoulder. I heard several people talking about getting tickets for fishing in other areas of the harbor too. Just sad.

Troutbead
04-10-2014, 04:21 PM
this year they closed the entire harbor to shore fishing except the jettys and jacks out front.. 3 seasons ago they closed one little part of it.. then last season they only allowed us to fish in that same little part creating a hazard to us.. the same part they closed the year before.. last year they wrote trespass tickets to people fishing out of their little control freak zone.. they also made their own fishing regulations,, kids only days.. now they closed it all.. fish and lame wont do their job and keep them from doing what they want regarding fishing regulations, shore fishing the ocean waters of the state... they act like they own it.. i have been fishing in there for 30+ years.. my kids fish in there.. i have been catching salmon in there for over 10+ years.. not just salmon halibut perch rock fish striped bass and rays.. now i can't fish in there..

I'm glad they closed it as it was not workable. To many issues with 'fisherman " not following the laws and who in there right mind wood want to "fish" like that that wasn't fishing. What they should do is net all those salmon and give them to the local food bank. Someone was going to get serious hurt when hot heads get out of hand.

ghostfish_slayer
04-11-2014, 05:33 PM
I'm glad they closed it as it was not workable. To many issues with 'fisherman " not following the laws and who in there right mind wood want to "fish" like that that wasn't fishing. What they should do is net all those salmon and give them to the local food bank. Someone was going to get serious hurt when hot heads get out of hand.

i caught them on spoons, spinners even bait under a float in there for 6-7 years before the salmon closure.. there was not more then 5-6 people fishing them.. we had 20+ fish days each.... i was forced into fishing into that one confined spot.. i would much rather do my own thing but you know.. those not following rules are not real fishermen and they deserve any ticket they get.. like i said i have been fishing there more then half my life with my kids my oldest is 21 and he was down there catching when he could walk.. i have not got in trouble or one ticket yet.. not even a parking ticket..**** them they have no right to close any fishing area... it is not their right or job to make up fishing regulations or rules it might be their job to enforce rules but not make them up..

ghostfish_slayer
04-11-2014, 05:37 PM
plus the erosion damage they are claiming is in a tidal area filled with rock and ice plant.. a introduced non native to california plant... they should have planted dill instead..

ghostfish_slayer
04-11-2014, 05:48 PM
if they were smart they would capitalize from it put one of those office/trailer storage units for a tackle shop get some more out houses,, better yet open up more of the bathrooms i helped plumb in there to the public,, get some pizza delivery going on,,, maybe even like other areas benecia where the church would come down once a week and make breakfast for the fishermen.. the united states was pretty much built from fishermen..

salmonid
04-11-2014, 06:14 PM
ghost, I was thinking that the area is private property? Never been there, so I don't know. If it is, I guess the property owner can dictate who gets to fish from their shore.

It does suck about limiting any access to a public resource (fish) that the state pays to raise, anyway.

I wonder if a small boat or kayak fishermen could launch on public grounds near the jetty and then go back up the harbor to fish. Also, the fish are probably keyed in on that little creek that enters there. I bet in dry years the fishing isn't as good as when that creek is flowing good- they might remember to go back to the Feather then.

So many questions.

Best,

ghostfish_slayer
04-12-2014, 05:30 AM
they are a port/district and they can make up any laws they want...

ghostfish_slayer
04-12-2014, 05:38 AM
either way they are going against state fishing regulations, making up their own, blocking rights to access the ocean, safe navigation and our state constitution regarding fishing..

ghostfish_slayer
04-12-2014, 05:52 AM
here is how i will respond... stop using santa cruz harbor period,, do not give them one dime.. tell all my friends to stop using it.. some have 2-3 slips... they made it very clear they don't want our kind there... use moss better. moss my home port anyway..:9155wu: speaking of home ports.. waiting on my brother and friend go sammy fishing hrs ago.. need help dragging my boat out of the yard and running gear.. lazy's sleeping in.. been up working the smoker 430 am.. waiting, waiting...

Teldor
04-14-2014, 08:42 AM
here is how i will respond... stop using santa cruz harbor period,, do not give them one dime.. tell all my friends to stop using it.. some have 2-3 slips... they made it very clear they don't want our kind there... use moss better. moss my home port anyway..:9155wu: speaking of home ports.. waiting on my brother and friend go sammy fishing hrs ago.. need help dragging my boat out of the yard and running gear.. lazy's sleeping in.. been up working the smoker 430 am.. waiting, waiting...

Sounds like you need new fishing partners.... *cough-likeme-cough* :wink: