PDA

View Full Version : Can kids use 2 poles?

jebranau
04-05-2014, 05:33 AM
My nephew will be visiting next week & I'll attempt to teach him how to troll for trout. Hope we catch a few to keep him busy. Might be fast trolling since he seems to prefer to drive the boat. I have a 2 pole stamp & was curios to know if kids can use 2 poles too...

Question: are kids under 16 permitted to use 2 poles?

Tonysgonefishin
04-05-2014, 06:16 AM
Yes, but as discussed in the other threads, they must be able to tend to their own rods (in theory, at least).

Captain Compassion
04-05-2014, 06:52 AM
Saw a guy at ICR last year with two toddlers in the in the back of the truck and he had 6 poles set out.:undecided:

CC

49erbassman
04-05-2014, 06:56 AM
Saw a guy at ICR last year with two toddlers in the in the back of the truck and he had 6 poles set out.:undecided:

CC

Those are the people that ruin it for others. He was just looking for multiple limits not teaching kids how to fish.

So many fish.....such little time

LURKER916
04-05-2014, 06:58 AM
Lol. So three kids in car seats doesn't mean 6 poles in holders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jetspray
04-05-2014, 07:06 AM
Lol. So three kids in car seats doesn't mean 6 poles in holders

Yeah I have told Richard that I would love to be there when the warden shows up. They patrol ICR on a regular basis, especially Fridays & Mondays (governmental mandatory days off):excited::sonar:........Jetspray

Kaban12
04-05-2014, 08:17 AM
My nephew will be visiting next week & I'll attempt to teach him how to troll for trout. Hope we catch a few to keep him busy. Might be fast trolling since he seems to prefer to drive the boat. I have a 2 pole stamp & was curios to know if kids can use 2 poles too...

Question: are kids under 16 permitted to use 2 poles?

I believe they would need to purchase the 2nd rod stamp even though they are under 16. At least that's what the guy at Walmart told me.

Tonysgonefishin
04-05-2014, 08:32 AM
I believe they would need to purchase the 2nd rod stamp even though they are under 16. At least that's what the guy at Walmart told me.

To the best of my knowledge, the guy at Walmart is incorrect. I haven't looked at this years rule book as thoroughly as I should have but I know in years past it was written in it that under 16 could use two poles without a stamp,

Jfitalia
04-05-2014, 08:33 AM

I don't think that would even be possible. If under 16 they can't even purchase a license. So they really wouldn't be able to purchase the second rod in theory.

CAL.NDN
04-05-2014, 08:41 AM
Good point. J. I was always under impression they could only use one rod. And think one rod is enough for them to handle and learn on. But I guess it time for one rod to soak bait and the other to learn spinners. Thanks for the correction

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Tonysgonefishin
04-05-2014, 08:42 AM
Chapter 2 article 1:a.

page 14 on the online PDF

(a) Except as otherwise authorized, all fish may be taken only by angling with one closely attended rod and line or one hand line with not more than three hooks nor more than three artificial lures (each lure may have three hooks attached) attached thereto. Anglers in possession of a valid two-rod stamp and anglers under 16 years of age may use up to two rods in inland waters which regulations provide for the taking of fish by angling, except those waters in which only artificial lures or barbless hooks may be used. See District Trout, Salmon and Special regulations for exceptions.

Jfitalia
04-05-2014, 08:43 AM
I'm trying to remember what I did when I was younger. I think I used 2 rods but that doesn't mean I was legal. I'll try and send an email over to DFW for clarification. I have a feeling it's one rod but who knows.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

IronClad
04-05-2014, 08:44 AM
I don't think that would even be possible. If under 16 they can't even purchase a license. So they really wouldn't be able to purchase the second rod in theory.

Right from their FAQ Frequently Asked Questions about Sport Fishing Licenses - California Department of Fish and Wildlife (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/fishing/sportfishingfaqs.html)

* Every person must have the appropriate report card(s) in possession while fishing; including those who are not required to have a sport fishing license, such as individuals under 16 years of age, persons fishing or diving on free fishing days, and anglers fishing from a public pier in ocean waters.

So it is possible that they would have to buy a 2nd rod stamp, I'm looking deeper to see if it is needed for that.

Ah tony beat me

CAL.NDN
04-05-2014, 08:46 AM
OK thanks again. :). Its like if steelhead fishing the still need a report card.

IronClad
04-05-2014, 08:47 AM
OK thanks again. :). Its like if steelhead fishing the still need a report card.

Yep Steelhead, sturgeon, or north coast salmon. same deal with abalone etc aswell

Kaban12
04-05-2014, 08:50 AM
Good stuff. Thanks for info guys.

49erbassman
04-05-2014, 08:57 AM
Yup. I told my older son we will get his steel card next year and he uses two rods sometimes to keep him busy lol

Jfitalia
04-05-2014, 08:59 AM
Right from their FAQ Frequently Asked Questions about Sport Fishing Licenses - California Department of Fish and Wildlife (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/fishing/sportfishingfaqs.html)

* Every person must have the appropriate report card(s) in possession while fishing; including those who are not required to have a sport fishing license, such as individuals under 16 years of age, persons fishing or diving on free fishing days, and anglers fishing from a public pier in ocean waters.

So it is possible that they would have to buy a 2nd rod stamp, I'm looking deeper to see if it is needed for that.

Ah tony beat me

I see what you are saying but remember how licenses are issued now. A person must have a state or govt. issued ID that must be scanned into the system. Plus remember that there is no longer a stamp. It is just something that is printed on the bottom of the license. Even 5 years ago when we had stamps. If you didn't have a license where would you put a stamp?

That is why I think it is 1 rod only with no option for a child to use 2.

Jfitalia
04-05-2014, 09:00 AM
Chapter 2 article 1:a.

page 14 on the online PDF

(a) Except as otherwise authorized, all fish may be taken only by angling with one closely attended rod and line or one hand line with not more than three hooks nor more than three artificial lures (each lure may have three hooks attached) attached thereto. Anglers in possession of a valid two-rod stamp and anglers under 16 years of age may use up to two rods in inland waters which regulations provide for the taking of fish by angling, except those waters in which only artificial lures or barbless hooks may be used. See District Trout, Salmon and Special regulations for exceptions.

man I need to read your stuff more carefully! :thumbsup:

You answered the question for us! so it looks like they can use 2 rods and I wasn't breaking the law! Sweet!

Jfitalia
04-05-2014, 09:01 AM

Does the child just have to show a school ID?

Kaban12
04-05-2014, 09:02 AM
I see what you are saying but remember how licenses are issued now. A person must have a state or govt. issued ID that must be scanned into the system. Plus remember that there is no longer a stamp. It is just something that is printed on the bottom of the license. Even 5 years ago when we had stamps. If you didn't have a license where would you put a stamp?

That is why I think it is 1 rod only with no option for a child to use 2.

So is the Walmart guy correct? Your confusing me J. Haha

Jfitalia
04-05-2014, 09:06 AM
So is the Walmart guy correct? Your confusing me J. Haha

No he would not have to buy a stamp according to the law. He would have to buy a steelie card though.

IronClad
Haha yeah i know its not a stamp, just habit to call it that.

As for the ID thing this is from the reg book for forms of ID

IDENTIFICATION REQUIRED FOR LICENSE PURCHASE (CCR T-14, SECTION 700.4)
Any person applying for any license, tag, permit, reservation or other entitlement issued via the ALDS shall provide valid identification. Acceptable forms of identification include:
(I) any license document or GO ID number previously issued via ALDS
(2) a valid driverís license or identification card issued to him or her by the Department of Motor Vehicles or by the entity issuing driverís licenses from the licenseeís state of domicile
(3) US Birth Certificate
(4) US Certificate or Report of Birth Abroad
(5) a Tribal ldentification Card, issued by a sovereign tribal nation
(6) Birth Certificate or passport issued from a US Territory
(7) US Passport
(8) US Military ldentification
(9) Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship,
(I0) A foreign government-issued photo identification
Applicants less than 18 years of age may provide any form of identification described above, or a parent or legal guardianís

Bassassin83
Is there a license for spider-rigging? Maybe it's just not allowed in Cali, but I've seen videos on YouTube of people spider-rigging with like 6+ poles. I think I saw it on Extreme Angler.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

MattFromSF
04-05-2014, 09:10 AM
O.k. Since i am only recently put into the "adult" category for fishing, I will take my best stab at explaining my interpretation of the states regs.
If you are under 16 and fishing for example trout, in a isolated lake with bluegills and bass in it as well, then you can two rod it all day long without anything else, no two rod stamp, no report cards.... None of it applies in this situation.
Now if you are 16 and trolling for say striper and salmon are in the same body of water..... Well I would get a salmon card for the "just in case" factor. And yes you can still use two rods.... If and only if the waters you are in allow such....
If abalone diving.... You only need a report card. You are under 16 so no license can be sold (except by dumb retail employees) to you.
- summary-
trout,bass,crappie,catfish,etc. no license OR two rod stamp. Since no license no two rod stamp to tag it onto anyway.
salmon,steelhead,etc. containing WATERWAYS i highly highly recommend having the applicable stamps/report cards, because heaven forbid you accidentally catch a salmon while striper fishing .... And you have no card.... The mere possibility of a warden checking up on you after you land it to even release it is enough to make me spend -10 bucks and not 1000 on a fine.

geez do I hope I didn't confuse you more...
-Matt

Tonysgonefishin
04-05-2014, 09:37 AM
Is there a license for spider-rigging? Maybe it's just not allowed in Cali, but I've seen videos on YouTube of people spider-rigging with like 6+ poles. I think I saw it on Extreme Angler.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

sport anglers can't use more than 2 rods in any circumstance. In California

Jfitalia
04-05-2014, 09:48 AM
O.k. Since i am only recently put into the "adult" category for fishing, I will take my best stab at explaining my interpretation of the states regs.
If you are under 16 and fishing for example trout, in a isolated lake with bluegills and bass in it as well, then you can two rod it all day long without anything else, no two rod stamp, no report cards.... None of it applies in this situation.
Now if you are 16 and trolling for say striper and salmon are in the same body of water..... Well I would get a salmon card for the "just in case" factor. And yes you can still use two rods.... If and only if the waters you are in allow such....
If abalone diving.... You only need a report card. You are under 16 so no license can be sold (except by dumb retail employees) to you.
- summary-
trout,bass,crappie,catfish,etc. no license OR two rod stamp. Since no license no two rod stamp to tag it onto anyway.
salmon,steelhead,etc. containing WATERWAYS i highly highly recommend having the applicable stamps/report cards, because heaven forbid you accidentally catch a salmon while striper fishing .... And you have no card.... The mere possibility of a warden checking up on you after you land it to even release it is enough to make me spend -10 bucks and not 1000 on a fine.

geez do I hope I didn't confuse you more...
-Matt

sounds like all good info. Just remember that no salmon card is needed. Welcome to being an adult man! It's all downhill from here :11:

MattFromSF
04-05-2014, 10:58 AM
sounds like all good info. Just remember that no salmon card is needed. Welcome to being an adult man! It's all downhill from here :11:

While we may not need anything for salmon this year. My incorrectness could be made right if this state keeps passing weird regs and laws all the time.... But that is another thread for another day.

But as far as my opinion on a beginner and two rods for trolling. I have never trolled before, but I for one would be fine with trolling one rod. Especially to get the hang of trolling to begin with.
And if I'm not mistaken, I have seen in numerous videos on the youtubes of people trolling and just switch off on poles... I.e. 4 rods setup and 3 guys fishing, If rods are being hit 1 at a time they would cycle off who reels it in. But if a double occurred then the next guy in line reels in the other one simultaneously. I mention that because wouldn't three rods between the two of you be more than enough to handle? Especially if you are just going to have them reel em in. I mean does it legitimately matter if you hook up on a fish and hand the rod off to your son/nephew/daughter/niece?
Im gonna have to ask a ranger/warden about that one now.... Unless anyone else can answer that for me.

49erbassman
04-05-2014, 11:40 AM
Damn you guys did a great job of confusing the hell out of everyone. I have two kids and know the regs fairly well. Kids under 16 can use two rods with no additional card needed. This of course only applies to areas where the two rod card is valid. Regardless of age if your are fishing for a species that requires a report card you have to purchase one.

LURKER916
04-05-2014, 12:37 PM
What if you and your son take 4 of his friends out for stripers in the Napa River?

How many poles can u have out?

monkey916
04-05-2014, 12:57 PM
What if you and your son take 4 of his friends out for stripers in the Napa River?

6...:laugh:

LURKER916
04-05-2014, 01:21 PM
It's not 12?
Hahahahaha

FresnoJack
04-06-2014, 05:46 PM
6...:laugh:

Only on the first Tuesday of each month.

monkey916
04-06-2014, 06:03 PM
Only on the first Tuesday of each month.
fresno jack... i was waiting for the ask a warden website... its your thing... trademark...Lol...:salute3sh:

FresnoJack
04-07-2014, 06:22 AM
Since you insist!

AskaWarden@dfg.ca.gov

I had a nightmare about this guy following our advise and having his boat and all of his gear confiscated by DFG.

fresno jack... i was waiting for the ask a warden website... its your thing... trademark...Lol...:salute3sh:

FresnoJack
04-07-2014, 01:05 PM
The language refers to the mandatory report cards for salmon and steelhead fishing.

Anglers under 16 are required to have and complete the report card even though not otherwise required to have a fishing license.

There may also be similar provisions in connection with the report cards for sturgeon and spiny lobster.

This has nothing to do with second rod validation.

By the by, it would sure be helpful if the folks that get paid good money to write the FAQs and other articles on the DFG site, reference the specific code sections so we can look them up and read them.

Ah tony beat me

Jimmy_M
04-07-2014, 01:13 PM

Depends on the ages of your son and his friends :cool:

XPL051v3
04-07-2014, 01:49 PM
Alright so how many fishing poles does it take to catch a fish?! :winkfs:

-Xzi

Mplewisjr
07-03-2014, 12:34 PM
Thanks for all the info guys.