PDA

View Full Version : Opening day ocean salmon

Tyeechinook
04-05-2014, 10:09 PM
We'll did anybody go out? Do any good? I know it was supposed to be a little rough, but somebody I'm sure had to be out there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kris k
04-05-2014, 10:17 PM
Sounds like the bite was hot out of moss landing with early limits. I'm headed out Tuesday either from moss landing or Santa Cruz. I'm hoping to learn more details of where the fish popped up so I can decide where my best launch location will be. I'm guessing soquel hole, but who knows!
If anyone cares to share id be most appreciative. Either way I'll be posting Tuesday on the ride home.

I'm spooling reels, tying leaders and sorting gear right now! Fired up!!!

JB14
04-06-2014, 06:53 AM
Moss was hot it appeared. Weather sucked from HMB to Bodega.

I think I'm with Kris, probably headed down south as opposed to HMB this week.

Earlyo
04-06-2014, 07:31 AM
Reports say that Monterrey and Bodega Bay had the hot bites and everything in between sucked! Lots of Krill out there but no salmon. Going out of Half Moon Bay next Saturday, swell report looks good for then so hopefully "Fish On". I have a buddy going out on a kayak next weekend out of Monterrey and will post his report too.

Troutbead
04-06-2014, 08:19 AM
HMB: NW winds 10 to 20 kt. Wind waves 2 to 4 ft. W swell 6 to 8 ft at 18 seconds.

Moss: winds 13.2-17.5. Wind waves
4.3 ft swell 5.2 at 12.9.

Bring your Dramamine

No thanks

JB14
04-06-2014, 08:36 AM
Bring you back brace as well. That's going to inflict a pounding!

coil
04-06-2014, 08:43 AM
I was oit for hailabit this weekends in the bay. Salmon Party boats limited out early in monterrey

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

hanahou7
04-06-2014, 11:28 AM
Went out of Moss yesterday. Waves were rolling pretty well for our small 18ft boat, and it made trolling a bit difficult. Headed out to Soquel Hole area and tried mooching from about 7 to 930 for nothing. Radios were saying it was dead at Soquel but heard of some hot action more south towards the Monterey side. Were going to try to head there but the wind started picking up so my Dad wanted to play it safe and we headed in around 10am with 0 fish to the boat.

Anyone got any tips/ cures for seasickness? I got sick when I tried tying the trolling rigs (first time on the salt) and started hurling for about 30 mins. Then I took 3 Dramamine and I think that was too much as I slept the rest of the day haha.

Good luck to everyone out there, and be safe!

fishingfrieda
04-06-2014, 11:40 AM
Went out of Moss yesterday. Waves were rolling pretty well for our small 18ft boat, and it made trolling a bit difficult. Headed out to Soquel Hole area and tried mooching from about 7 to 930 for nothing. Radios were saying it was dead at Soquel but heard of some hot action more south towards the Monterey side. Were going to try to head there but the wind started picking up so my Dad wanted to play it safe and we headed in around 10am with 0 fish to the boat.

Anyone got any tips/ cures for seasickness? I got sick when I tried tying the trolling rigs (first time on the salt) and started hurling for about 30 mins. Then I took 3 Dramamine and I think that was too much as I slept the rest of the day haha.

Start the dramamine the night before you go, then take the recommended dose through out the trip. Don't take too much though!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Troutbead
04-06-2014, 12:27 PM

I drink a lot of ginger ale and use a transderm Scop patch behind an ear or don't go out at all and wait for a better day. Fishing is supposed to e fun and hurling all day is not my kind of fun.

ghostfish_slayer
04-06-2014, 01:27 PM
we did good today.. 4 fish done early.. lots of traffic..

Seon
04-06-2014, 01:50 PM
I've been nursing the flu for the last 3 weeks so I missed opening weekend. Was planning to head out this Tuesday but still feeling under the weather so postponed that trip. Plenty more months to fish so when I get to feeling better, I'll head out.

BTW grats to all who weathered the wind and sea.

As for motion sickness, I use those wrist band that works for me.19758

Jfitalia
04-06-2014, 02:45 PM
Dramamine night before with a carb loaded dinner. 1 more in the am with a carb loaded breakfast.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

salmonid
04-06-2014, 03:54 PM
Nice ghost!

How is the size compared to early season last year? Hope they are fat again.

Best,

we did good today.. 4 fish done early.. lots of traffic..

YBfishin
04-06-2014, 07:20 PM
We went on the New Captain Pete on Saturday out of HMB.The Captain covered some ground.The wind and swell was up all day.After several stops were all the way to Davenport.The 30 mile boat ride uphill was interesting.We got skunked but gave it our all.I think the wind and swell kept our gear higher in the column and if I had more weight would have liked to run it deeper.We will get them next time

Mr. Striper
04-06-2014, 07:24 PM
What channel are the boats on out there?

kris k
04-06-2014, 08:25 PM
I grew up working on fishing boats and spending time on the water in New England. Never got sick. First time in the pacific swell....chumming the water all day! What a surprise that was. I need to follow a very particular ritual and if I do...don't have a problem. Take Dramamine as prescribed right when I leave the house (2 hours before launch). Try to get a good sleep (this one is usually hard the night before a trip). Eat healthy and mild the day before. For breakfast, don't eat a bunch of sugars. Protein works for me. Bland is good. Rig up as much as possible before hitting the water. The first couple hours are crucial. The less I keep my eyes right in front of me the better. Keep snacks and water handy and graze and drink regularly. Also, as much as I hate moderation of any kind, I don't go crazy on the caffeine. It's a tall order, but if I follow my own advice I can handle some sloppy seas and keep fishing! Hope some of this helps.

ghostfish_slayer
04-06-2014, 08:42 PM
channel 11,,,,, hey go up,, hey go down.. the fish were decent our largest was about 18-20lbs smallest @ 29/30 inches..

Tamjets
04-06-2014, 09:01 PM
This coming weekend plan camp at HMB and hope weather be nice enough to fish.
Anyone heard any action at HMB?

Skipjacker707
04-06-2014, 09:25 PM
+1 for what some of these guys say. My friends who get sea sick say to take 1 Dramamine before bed and one when you get up. Me personally I just stay focused on certain tasks while out for the day and that normally keeps my mind of getting sick. Out of the countless times I have been in the ocean I have been sick 2 times. After being sick twice out there in all my years I would still really like to rewind time and change my diet or lack of sleep those days because those could of been the 2 worst days of my life!!

Lyla&Jace
04-06-2014, 10:58 PM

I have a tip for you. Since i was first able to go out fishing with my dad on the ocean maybe 8 years old (im bout to be 25 now) I would get sea sick EVERY SINGLE TIME!...The 2013 season is where I really just didnt give a **** anymore about puking because it was just inevitable (or so i thought). last year i even went and got the prescription grade transscopa (whatever) from the doctor and even that didnt help. (although it might work for you) What helped and i figured out about halfway through the season was taking a dramamine at night when you go to bed and 1 an hour before you get on the water. I didnt throw up once after doing that. I've heard that method is the most proven but who really knows.

I can tell you that i have tried patches, wrist bands, dramamine and bonine, prescriptions grade patches and nothing worked until the 1 dramamine at before you sleep and an hour before you get on the water.

BarnacleL
04-07-2014, 04:29 AM
Small craft advisory in effect until 11p tonight so I am not driving up to Bodega Bay today. I greased the zerks on the trailer and outboard yesterday and made sure the outboard is running great. I am packed and ready to go I'll watch the forecast and see if I can go early tormorrow.

Jfitalia
04-07-2014, 06:28 AM
Small craft advisory in effect until 11p tonight so I am not driving up to Bodega Bay today. I greased the zerks on the trailer and outboard yesterday and made sure the outboard is running great. I am packed and ready to go I'll watch the forecast and see if I can go early tormorrow.

Man how big is your boat?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

BarnacleL
04-07-2014, 06:51 AM
I have 2 homemade boats, Homer in the picture is 14 feet long by 4 foot beam she is easily trailerable with my S10. Pegasus is 16 feet long by 6 foot 7 inches beam she is in dry storage at Sugar Barge and their tractor launches her, she weighs 1100 pounds. Both are flat bottom dory designs, Homer goes 9.1mph Pegasus goes 26mph, Pegasus has a 25hp Yami.

JB14
04-07-2014, 08:10 AM
As a man who wanted to die from seasickness on multiple occasions last year here's what I do...

1. I put a patch on the day before I go out.
2. I take a dramamine the night before. It makes me drowsy and I get a good nights sleep.
3. Eat something in the morning. Nothing super heavy but a decent breakfast just to have somewthing in your gut.
4. I drink a gingerale as soon as I hit the water. and sip on gingerale throughout the day.
5. Have all of your gear pretied before you go. TYing knots and looking close up at things makes life miserable.
6. Don't think about it. Stay busy and enjoy the day.

All of this, some of this or none of this may work for you. Hell, I don't even know if it works for me or if it's all mental. Either way I have my routine and stick to it. The more you're out on the water the more you'll get used to it and hopefully be able to enjoy the day.

Troutbead
04-07-2014, 10:17 AM
I have 2 homemade boats, Homer in the picture is 14 feet long by 4 foot beam she is easily trailerable with my S10. Pegasus is 16 feet long by 6 foot 7 inches beam she is in dry storage at Sugar Barge and their tractor launches her, she weighs 1100 pounds. Both are flat bottom dory designs, Homer goes 9.1mph Pegasus goes 26mph, Pegasus has a 25hp Yami.

My Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 14 almost has as wide a beam as you're Homer. no way i would even consider taking a boat that small with that narrow of beam offshore. even the tiny gregor 12 foot aluminujm boats have a 63 in bean, bad idea imho

Lyla&Jace
04-07-2014, 01:37 PM
All of this, some of this or none of this may work for you. Hell, I don't even know if it works for me or if it's all mental. Either way I have my routine and stick to it. The more you're out on the water the more you'll get used to it and hopefully be able to enjoy the day.

Very true! I used to take a 1hr 15min SERVERLY WINDING road to high school everyday in the Yosemite area. I get seasick so on a road like that i definitely would feel the effects. (rarely throw up though) but throughout the 4 years i developed a tolerance for that drive to school and could even do my homework in the bus when i procrastinated to get it done at home!

Ducks247
04-07-2014, 05:04 PM
Dramamine night before and morning of is tried and true. I also drink a 12 pack of coors light too lol.

salmonid
04-07-2014, 05:16 PM
Good one. Whatever works!

Dramamine night before and morning of is tried and true. I also drink a 12 pack of coors light too lol.

nayr
04-07-2014, 08:16 PM
I went to Monterey today and fished on a party boat. 3 guys in my group we each landed one keeper. This particular boat had us using the ****tiest bait I have ever seen... most baits were blown out but its what we Had to work with... boat finished with 21 for 19... I think we were the worst score in the harbor. . I did leave a little frustrated but whatever ill likely fish there again sometime...

nayr
04-07-2014, 08:18 PM
Oh and I threw a huge thumbs up to 2 guys out in the middle of the fleet in what had to be about a 14ft gregor. I hope they limited

F33rNoFish
04-07-2014, 08:59 PM
I was out with my daughter at capitola pier yesterday and boat after boat came in with their salmon limits. There was even a guy who caught a keeper from the pier! I didn't see it since it was earlier in the day but it was the talk of the pier.

My daughter caught the biggest rubber lip perch I've ever seen on a tiny 6.6" girl's ugly stick but it came unbuttoned while I was pulling up. She countered with the second largest perch I've seen.

Proud papa!

Good luck out there?

Lyla&Jace
04-07-2014, 09:01 PM
I went to Monterey today and fished on a party boat. 3 guys in my group we each landed one keeper. This particular boat had us using the ****tiest bait I have ever seen... most baits were blown out but its what we Had to work with... boat finished with 21 for 19... I think we were the worst score in the harbor. . I did leave a little frustrated but whatever ill likely fish there again sometime...

if you dont have a good time on one boat you could always try another boat. Its always good to try multiple boats if going on charters is your thing. You can learn more and meet new people/captains

F33rNoFish
04-07-2014, 09:04 PM
I would try the smaller boats. More time to talk to experienced peeps and less tangles.

nayr
04-08-2014, 08:08 AM
if you dont have a good time on one boat you could always try another boat. Its always good to try multiple boats if going on charters is your thing. You can learn more and meet new people/captains
Yeah, I only make the run down to Monterey early in the season. I usually stick to the new easy rider out of Berkeley once the fish are up here. the boats in monterey do a lot of things different but they cost a lot less.

bassman408
04-08-2014, 09:15 AM

Any chance it was Randy's in Monterey? lol

Prototype
04-08-2014, 09:39 AM

Sorry to hear about your experience. I normally get out on the Check Mate with Tinker, one of Chris's Fishing party boats. Always a good time.

In fact, I'll be headed out on the Check Mate tmrw to have a go at the Salmon. Praying I have a good day.

nayr
04-08-2014, 09:47 AM
Any chance it was Randy's in Monterey? lol

Yes! Haha. This was my 3rd year down there , since travelzoo runs vouchers for $49. But it was the first time we had the terrible baits. Kinda odd when they bust out the tray baits half way through the day.. jeez. Oh well, like i said before for $49 i would still do it again.. maybe bring my own tray next time.

Troutbead
04-08-2014, 10:54 AM

really no excuse for a party boat to use crappy bait. you pay big bucks and should have the best bait in the fleet. at least you cought fish it sounds like the HMB boats scored skunks. what boat did you fish on so people might choose another boat?

opps. i see my answer in the above post....

FISHERPRICE
04-08-2014, 11:21 AM
really no excuse for a party boat to use crappy bait. You pay big bucks and should have the best bait in the fleet. At least you cought fish it sounds like the hmb boats scored skunks. What boat did you fish on so people might choose another boat?

Opps. I see my answer in the above post....

green label herring

bassman408
04-08-2014, 02:46 PM
Yes! Haha. This was my 3rd year down there , since travelzoo runs vouchers for $49. But it was the first time we had the terrible baits. Kinda odd when they bust out the tray baits half way through the day.. jeez. Oh well, like i said before for $49 i would still do it again.. maybe bring my own tray next time.

Yea, definitely not a bad deal for $49, but that is not the way to do business. Those guys seem to have a bad rep and I always hear about them each year...not good things of course...haha. Glad you and your buds took home a fish though!