PDA

View Full Version : Melones Anniversary Brown.

Steve079
04-06-2014, 06:52 PM
One year ago, (tomorrow) I got my first legitimate Brown at Melones. I think it was 7lbs 5 oz. Today, I got my second.

Kokes aren't hitting, Trout are moving all around, so I went out to roll shad and maybe luck into a Brown. Greg from Mag Tackle sent me some of his Shad harness's, My buddy Chris brought me up some Shad of decent size, and I was set. Fished hard from first light, for nothing. After 4 hours, I moved to the area around 49 bridge. My shad was gone, save one big ugly reject, so I was pulling Rap's and Smithwick Rattling Rogue's. Made one pass, saw a couple nice arcs, so I turned around and put the Ugly Shad on the MTH.

Success! Fish hit so hard I thought something had hit the boat. It was airborne as I got the rod out of the DR, and it was an anxious bit of time getting it to the boat, and getting the DR out of the way. Didn't quite fit in the rubber Koke net, but I managed. it was bleeding badly around the gills, I tried to revive it but to no avail. I had not planned on keeping one if I did get one, so with no ice I headed for the ramp and called it a day.

Took it to GH Sports to weigh it, not bad 6lbs 11 ozs. A good day for me

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z100/skhardwoods/My%20Personal%20Best/140406_002_zpsd7fa883f.jpg

sollimes
04-07-2014, 05:32 AM
WTG Steve! Congratz on the brown. I missed fishing Melones!

Gene St. Denis
04-07-2014, 05:37 AM
Great Job Steve !!!! We are All Jealous !!!!! :grin: gst

Steve079
04-07-2014, 05:44 AM
Thanks, it was quite a thrill! I was pretty excited about it, I have to admit. Gene, you catch your share of the really big boys up there at Tahoe, these down here are about half that size, but there are some double digit browns in there for sure.

I've thought about rolling anchovies this time of year, those really resemble Kokes. Talk about matching the hatch.

mryosemite
04-07-2014, 07:09 AM
Great looking fish! Do you suppose it was a female, it seems like it has a smaller mouth. Or, maybe it's just a different species of brown than what I sometimes see at other lakes? Someone once told me there were 7 or maybe 9 types of browns in this area? I'm just curious...and jealous!

RideNfish
04-07-2014, 07:40 AM
Congrats Steve! Stoked for ya! Thanks for trying to revive it but if it's bleeding then dinner it is. haha

Such a bummer that Melones didn't turn on this year. This winter messed up some serious fishing.

Steve079
04-07-2014, 05:45 PM
This is the third Brown I've seen with this color pattern. My guess is that these are the Kokanee Power, pen fish. But thats just my guess. The first one I caught, several years back, looked like a silver snake. I was fishing off Shipwreck, near Tuttletown ramp, and caught one, it was long, skinny. and very under weight. it obviously not made the transition to food pellets being tossed to it, to chasing down real food. That poor fish had a empty belly, save for a few sticks and pieces of debris. I called that one a "suicide by angler"....

A Brown that weighed over 10 lbs, was caught, and it looked like mines big sister.

Mine was a female, but I was truthfully not sure. It had a bit of a kyped jaw, but female plumbing. The Square tail was the only sure sign that I had caught a Brown. When I cleaned it, I was stunned to see it had egg skeins, but they were so tiny, the eggs were near the size of pinheads. I was joking that it may have been a naturally occurring Triploid Brown, despite the fact that Browns cannot be made sterile. But, God can do what ever He wants, so who knows!

reeltor
04-07-2014, 06:24 PM
Beautiful fish! I just saw the photo on the Glory Hole fishing report. What a great day for you.

Reeltor

Steve079
04-07-2014, 07:23 PM
Beautiful fish! I just saw the photo on the Glory Hole fishing report. What a great day for you.

really? The last report I see was dated 3/31. I just checked, but don't see it. How'd you do that?

Steve079
04-07-2014, 08:12 PM
This one?

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z100/skhardwoods/My%20Personal%20Best/140407_001_zpsad980513.jpg

I went in GHS to buy some ice, they asked how I did. And they took this pic for me

reeltor
04-09-2014, 06:03 AM
This one?

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z100/skhardwoods/My%20Personal%20Best/140407_001_zpsad980513.jpg

I went in GHS to buy some ice, they asked how I did. And they took this pic for me

That would be the one! -Reeltor

Gene St. Denis
04-09-2014, 08:13 AM
Browns are the chameleons of the Fresh water Trout world . They have many different colors and can at times , under stress change color to some extent like a squid , but not as fast or extreme. They do this to blend in or Startle predators. They came in to the Americas in two main waves . One from Scotland- Lake Browns ( Hence Loch Leven Browns from Roe on wet Moss- More silvery with dark spots and Larger)) . Two, from Germany ( German Browns , Rein River - Darker with more Peacock Eye Spots on the sides ) :salmon: In Europe and the USA the Color and Variations are Quite Varied . You have to Add the Individual Lake Genetic Coloring and adjust for Inter Breeding with other Browns... and brooks, etc. Some Scientist say that all Browns are the same , with different color schemes, however the Two Batches were Separate for eons before transport across the Atlantic ocean . And Now are be coming Distinct Brown Types in EACH LAKE , as they become more ingrained into the Specific Lake Ecological System. :fish_jumps: They are Smart right out of the Box and Get Smarter as they get Older !!!!!!! :1sheep03h7ot: I caught my first Brown at 5 Pounds out of the Owens River in the early 70's with a Streamer that I had tied !!!! Anyway you did... Very Nice Work !!!!! Great Job, Keep it Up and may the Force be with you !!!! :yoda1: gst

Steve079
04-09-2014, 08:27 PM
I just got my GHS newsletter today, John said he called me "brown killer" Pretty funny.

Thanks Gene for sharing your knowledge of the species, I guess I've caught both you described at Melones, and the silver with big spots have been the bigger fish. I enjoy reading your posts, one of your most recent ones showed the lures, the scent and the setbacks, all good info for us neophytes.

Looking for forward to more lessons and sessions on the water.

BIG FIN
04-11-2014, 09:48 PM
Nice fish look at the fins on that thing looks very powerful nice job congrats . Tightlines BF