PDA

View Full Version : Weather reports

kingkiller
04-07-2014, 11:10 PM
I been looking around at some weather sites like NOAA.gov, weather.com ect. And watching the bouy reports. And I have a lot of red flag questions regrading what's not safe to go out. So if someone can help me under stand swel hght. Winds speeds and when not to go out just to understand the fundemetals of small craft advisory sence this will be my first time in the ocean with my boat

Lyla&Jace
04-08-2014, 12:52 AM
I been looking around at some weather sites like NOAA.gov, weather.com ect. And watching the bouy reports. And I have a lot of red flag questions regrading what's not safe to go out. So if someone can help me under stand swel hght. Winds speeds and when not to go out just to understand the fundemetals of small craft advisory sence this will be my first time in the ocean with my boat

If a wave height is 30% or more of your boat length than it has to potential energy to knock you boat down for the count. Especially if you take one of these ways to in a parallel fashion. Always stay perpendicular to the waves.

With that said its not about how much punishment you or your boat can take from the waves and wind. If you get out there and in your gut you feel like its not safe then turn back because with that attitude you'll live to fish another day.

Also a longer wave period more than twice the height is safer than a period that is less than twice the height.

Im no expert on the subject and those are just some tips i have picked up. Dont be shy to talk to people at the launch ramp to get more information about whats expected for the day and if you dont know a particular area do you research first and ask around.

If you have a smart phone download the NOAA Ocean Buoys App and for tide information i recommend Tide Table (search that or Tudormobile) both are free.

FISHERPRICE
04-08-2014, 07:01 AM
i been looking around at some weather sites like noaa.gov, weather.com ect. And watching the bouy reports. And i have a lot of red flag questions regrading what's not safe to go out. So if someone can help me under stand swel hght. Winds speeds and when not to go out just to understand the fundemetals of small craft advisory sence this will be my first time in the ocean with my boat

i grew up commercial salmon fising in bodega bay. I had 26 ' boat.if there is small craft advisory dont go . It will be miserable unless yo have a larger boat. When the swell and sea's report has the sea's close together it will be very choppy. The swell report will have the interval between each swell and the sea's will be the chp inbetween. Me , i dont go with small craft warning. I hope that helps.

Who knee
04-08-2014, 07:50 AM
I have been doing some research recently on this also. The wind waves can also stack on the regular swell height too in certain situations. There is a lot of info on the NOAA weather bouy site that explains most of what your looking for. It also said watch the weather for the week before you plan to go out. A change in wind direction from what it has been blowing could cause some nasty conditions also.

Troutbead
04-08-2014, 08:20 AM
I use the 1/2 rule. If the wave height is close to 1/2 the wave period I don't go. 8ft every 16 seconds is a no go so is 3 ft overy 6 seconds,or 4ft every 8 seconds etc. even a 3 feet every 7 or 8 seconds is going to be uncomfortable. When I arrive at moss I look at the stacks if the smoke comes out a little bit from the stacks and then sharply bends east meaning a fairly stiff on Shore wind I really reconsider about even loanching. If it does the same thing but the smoke is going in a westerly direction meaning a offshore wind I know I can get away with probably lounching and fishing depending on the one half rule on wave height and period.

JB14
04-08-2014, 08:47 AM
How big is your boat? "Safe" is a relative word.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kingkiller
04-08-2014, 09:27 AM
How big is your boat? "Safe" is a relative word.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 20' Starcraft islander

Troutbead
04-08-2014, 11:11 AM
I have a 20' Starcraft islander

i think the problem with the islander is that it is light and a fairly flat bottom which will cuase it to pound in a decent chop or swell. i have read that the plywood floorboards are also very susceptible to rotting. pick a flat day and you should be fine, but really watch the weather. persoannly i like heavy boats made for the salt like a whaler or a grady about 22-25'. you can take those out in confidence in will get you back to the dock.

Sekkyo
04-08-2014, 01:41 PM
Here's the the link I use the most. The site was recently updated and it is fantastic. Just click to the area you fish and you'll get current conditions and a forecast. I would never go out during a small craft advisory unless I was on a yacht or cutter.

National Weather Service (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=PZZ545&zflg=1)

JB14
04-08-2014, 04:39 PM
I'll fix that for you this year ;)

I would never go out during a small craft advisory unless I was on a yacht or cutter.

Lyla&Jace
04-08-2014, 04:40 PM
i think the problem with the islander is that it is light and a fairly flat bottom which will cuase it to pound in a decent chop or swell. i have read that the plywood floorboards are also very susceptible to rotting. pick a flat day and you should be fine, but really watch the weather. persoannly i like heavy boats made for the salt like a whaler or a grady about 22-25'. you can take those out in confidence in will get you back to the dock.

also true boat shape and weight has a lot to do with how it handles through the swells. The boat my dad has that we fish on is a 21' walk`around Trophy weighted at around 3,500+ pounds without gas gear and people. When that 85 gallon tank is full of gas it seems to cut through the waves better.

acldo6390
04-08-2014, 05:52 PM
I use this sight in making my decision to go or no go.
Welcome to CDIP! Home (http://cdip.ucsd.edu/themes/)

I hope it helps some of you.
Mark

Sekkyo
04-09-2014, 08:50 AM
I'll fix that for you this year ;)
Your boat can handle it, though.

BarnacleL
04-11-2014, 05:32 AM
I use this sight in making my decision to go or no go.
Welcome to CDIP! Home (http://cdip.ucsd.edu/themes/)

I hope it helps some of you.
Mark

Mark, I added the link above to my favorites and have been using it a lot to look at Bodega Bay. It is so useful to graphically see the current and forecast swell as colors on a map. Thank you for sharing this link, it is very helpful. Leland

Princecraft
04-11-2014, 09:51 AM
Salmon Creek Surf Report, Surf Forecast and Live Surf Webcams (http://magicseaweed.com/Salmon-Creek-Surf-Report/306/)Here is another source that I've found to be very accurate. In addition, I recommend using the NOAA radio app prior to leaving the house. If the wind via NOAA is high, it can save a lot of gas and time.

BarnacleL
04-11-2014, 10:50 AM
Salmon Creek Surf Report, Surf Forecast and Live Surf Webcams (http://magicseaweed.com/Salmon-Creek-Surf-Report/306/)Here is another source that I've found to be very accurate. In addition, I recommend using the NOAA radio app prior to leaving the house. If the wind via NOAA is high, it can save a lot of gas and time.

Thank you that is a great link too. I use the "WX" button on my marine VHF radio to hear NOAA weather radio, it comes in great at home in Concord because Mt Diablo is outside my living room window but reception was intermittent heading out the jetty at Bodega on both WX 3 and WX 4. I did not know there was an app for it but I guess there is an app for everything now, I will install it on my smartphone today. I am a belt and suspenders kind of guy next time if I can't get it on Marine VHF I will use the app, I noticed ATT 3G reception was great at Doran, I saw a cell tower by the ranger's house that must be why reception is good.