PDA

View Full Version : Benicia Salmon Run.

Porem
04-08-2014, 01:18 PM
I am really excited about the Salmon opener. I have hit the ocean party boats in the past but I would like to land one "solo" this year. Has Has here ever hit Benicia for Salmon? I am pretty sure they are not this far I to the system yet and I have attacked them from the shore with Cleo's and blue foxes but not sure if that is the best weapon when fishing from a kayak.

Are the fish still feeding in this area allowing for a dropper and anchovies or is it more of an aggression bite like up the sac?

If anyone wants to hook up for the hunt in the near future let me know.

Best,
Phil

salmonid
04-08-2014, 02:18 PM
I guess ocean salmon is open now in SF bay up to the Carquinez bridge, so it's legal.

There won't be any fall run chinooks around for a couple of months at least, but you could catch a springer I guess. Just not as many of them compared to fall fish.

Take care,

nayr
04-08-2014, 02:25 PM
Season isnt open in benecia yet. The few boats on the water are usually throwing lures like the guys on shore. Best of luck this summer

hanahou7
04-08-2014, 03:28 PM
I'm curious too. Do guys troll for salmon in the San Pablo Bay? I was wondering if they still feed when they are moving into the river systems and heading through Carquinez, so try to hit em w/ flashers and anchovies.

Or if they've stopped feeding and the spinners and KFish are the way to go?

salmonid
04-08-2014, 03:32 PM
I was thinking the same thing.

Up in Oregon the fish are feeding over a 100 miles up the Columbia river. Lots of nice looking salmon pics up there right now. Headless herring works quite well.

Best,

Do guys troll for salmon in the San Pablo Bay? I was wondering if they still feed when they are moving into the river systems and heading through Carquinez, so try to hit em w/ flashers and anchovies.

Or if they've stopped feeding and the spinners and KFish are the way to go?

Lyla&Jace
04-08-2014, 04:47 PM
I've posted about this in another thread. I have had no luck trolling for salmon in the benicia area when guys are catching them from shore. Ive heard it said many times from various people that for whatever reason boats dont have the same type of success that the shore fisherman do in that area. My dad and I on numerous days last season went up and down again and again from the Carquinez bridge to first street trolling with no luck. When salmon season is done out on the ocean we will probably just go back to sturgeon fishing. Maybe some other people have had better luck but if you do try trolling during that time just stay away from shore because those people will be waiting for you at the launch ramp if you get too close.

salmonid
04-08-2014, 04:56 PM
Hey Reel,

I remember your post, but not the details (or it was just another like it).

What were you guys trolling with and how deep? Back in Oregon, we trolled right off the bottom about 1 foot up bouncing 3-9 oz lead weights on the bottom.

I want to give it a go down there this year.

Thanks,

I've posted about this in another thread. I have had no luck trolling for salmon in the benicia area when guys are catching them from shore. Ive heard it said many times from various people that for whatever reason boats dont have the same type of success that the shore fisherman do in that area. My dad and I on numerous days last season went up and down again and again from the Carquinez bridge to first street trolling with no luck. When salmon season is done out on the ocean we will probably just go back to sturgeon fishing. Maybe some other people have had better luck but if you do try trolling during that time just stay away from shore because those people will be waiting for you at the launch ramp if you get too close.

Porem
04-08-2014, 05:26 PM
Thanks Reel. I had not even looked at the opening day for this area so thanks to those above as well. Seems like it should be a ok area seeing as the fish are a bit more concentrated. I would say maybe the fish lock jaw in the area but it seems the shore guys go ok. Guess I will just have to throw the tackle box at it and see what works.

Lyla&Jace
04-08-2014, 08:33 PM
Hey Reel,

I remember your post, but not the details (or it was just another like it).

What were you guys trolling with and how deep? Back in Oregon, we trolled right off the bottom about 1 foot up bouncing 3-9 oz lead weights on the bottom.

I want to give it a go down there this year.

Thanks,

Thanks Reel. I had not even looked at the opening day for this area so thanks to those above as well. Seems like it should be a ok area seeing as the fish are a bit more concentrated. I would say maybe the fish lock jaw in the area but it seems the shore guys go ok. Guess I will just have to throw the tackle box at it and see what works.

We have trolled at all depths off downriggers but in that area it is so hard to do this on downriggers because the depths change so rapidly. There is a big hole right off the point where Benicia State Park I think it drops to more than 70 feet. The sinker release method is eaiser because you can just reel up and let it down with the changes. We have trolled the spinner that they cast, apex, anchovies. Pretty much the same methods as out on the ocean with a few variations (mostly due to boredom and just trying new things). In comparison we have not given te same amount of time to that area as we have the oceans for salmon so i cant say with complete certainty that its impossible because im sure it can be done but thats just my experience.

QueenAnnesRevenge
04-09-2014, 05:50 AM
Phil would you take your kayak into Sf Bay? There's a window(normally early fall) where you can get into them at CALAFORNIA City and they are still feeding and all the tactics and lures/baits from outside the gate will still work.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk