PDA

View Full Version : Dropping Crab Pots and then going Salmon Fishing??

Lyla&Jace
04-10-2014, 12:53 AM
I have a question about crabbing. I know the regs and everything so lets not discuss that. What i want to know is if dropping crab pots in bodega then going salmon fishing is something private boaters do. I know the commercial guys like Miss Anita are doing salmon and getting crabs. If I was to get a crab pot or two and try this where would the best spot to drop one be. Right outside the jetty? let me know as i love eating crab from Dead Fish in Crockett and The Franciscan in San Francisco.

JB14
04-10-2014, 05:46 AM
It's doable. I can't say where the best spot is because that's not my stomping grounds. Just remember that the party boats leave pots out for a long time and then just pick them up when they take a group out. Crab is pretty slow this time of year. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kokamojoe
04-10-2014, 02:13 PM
Great question! As I'm thinking about doing the same next week. I fished out of Bodega quit a bit about 15 years ago. I would set crab pots about 5 miles north of bodega in about 150' of water and then head south to troll for salmon off point Reyes beach. I might try this next week, but go out early drop pots and then salmon fish. Maybe pick pots up the next morning. It's been a long time, so I'm not the best person to ask. I would like to here some input on this as well. Maybe Seon can chime in:)

Pintail
04-10-2014, 03:42 PM
Throwing out your pots then heading out for red is a great day. Do it. At this point in time everywhere has been picked over well. You should still be able to get some, even in the bay down by Estero, up north probably will be a better bet.

But

If you haven't done opening salmon day, in a while, you can't imagine the cluster f. The lineup for the ramp has been back out to the highway at least once, be forewarned.

Kokamojoe
04-10-2014, 03:50 PM
Thanks pintail

Lyla&Jace
04-10-2014, 07:46 PM
Throwing out your pots then heading out for red is a great day. Do it. At this point in time everywhere has been picked over well. You should still be able to get some, even in the bay down by Estero, up north probably will be a better bet.

But

If you haven't done opening salmon day, in a while, you can't imagine the cluster f. The lineup for the ramp has been back out to the highway at least once, be forewarned.

The lines are to be expected. Great weather is forecasted in Bodega for saturday (maybe fog) but we did it all last season and season before so it nothing new. Thanks for the info