PDA

View Full Version : Amador 4.9.14

Lucky Lund
04-10-2014, 05:56 AM
Took my neighbor Mike, who is new to trout fishing to Amador. On the water at 0700, water is to the ramp now so it's an easy launch one boat at a time. Headed down the south side with black wooly buggers and white grubs, 150' back on top. Hooked up immediately on the grub, nice 2.5# trout. It turned out to be a awesome day for me catching my PB 8.75 and 6.75 on wooly buggers. The 6.75 was our 'devil' fish, good way to finish. Mike played net boy and did a great job, just one of those days when the right side of the boat catches the big fish. Water temp was a warm 67 degrees and a lotta boats out on the water. Well back to the 'real world' next week at Camanche or Pardee.....

Bob

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag62/luckylund/IMG_2433_zps6118e809.jpg

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag62/luckylund/IMAG0127_zps6e36cf3d.jpg

fishingfrieda
04-10-2014, 07:18 AM
That's awesome! Poor guy got spoiled and is going to wonder what he's doing wrong when he doesn't catch that many all the time ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Jetspray
04-10-2014, 07:18 AM
Nice looking hogs, glad that someone is able to show us how it is done:angling:.........Jetspray

BIG FIN
04-10-2014, 03:52 PM
Yeah you pretty much just corrupted your neighbor thats my whole problem I don't own a boat so I go to amador cause I know the fish are huge and almost fight like steelhead I live one minute from folsom lake but choose bigger trout at amador , Great job those are some quality fish !!!! Can you tell me how far down you have to go to get to the 55 degree mark ? Tightlines BF

Reel Fun
04-10-2014, 04:36 PM
Name is Lund.....drive a Lund boat.....And have a Lund T shirt......sweet!! Nice limit!

FishinMagician
04-10-2014, 05:20 PM
Even a big "Lund" on the boat seat!

Sent from my LGMS769 using Tapatalk

Reel Fun
04-10-2014, 08:18 PM
And a Lund hat to boot!!

jlivengood
04-11-2014, 09:16 AM
Headed down the south side with black wooly buggers and white grubs, 150' back on top.

Great day - Quick question for Bob or anyone else. How do you rig a Wooly bugger or grub for trolling? Behind a dodger, flashers, what?

Thanks,

Jim

Jfitalia
04-11-2014, 09:42 AM
The wooly is normally behind a action disk. The grub is ran with or without a power egg on a size 1 or 2 finesse bass hook

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

jlivengood
04-11-2014, 10:05 AM
The wooly is normally behind a action disk. The grub is ran with or without a power egg on a size 1 or 2 finesse bass hook

Interesting, never tried either of these for trolling, guess I am headed to Sportsman Warehouse tonight, taking a client to Amador tomorrow and we will give these a try.

Thanks!

Jfitalia
04-11-2014, 10:11 AM
You want 3 inch grubs. I like the Berkley power grubs. sep's makes a good one but you only get 3. Colors I like at amador are orange, white, fire tiger, pink, purple and green

redneckpunk
04-11-2014, 11:08 AM
The day after the derby we killed them on needlefish with a bubblegum/white mice tail trailer. Action in needlefish wasnt effected much and color sidnt matter as long as mice tail was white

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucky Lund
04-11-2014, 11:35 AM
Great day - Quick question for Bob or anyone else. How do you rig a Wooly bugger or grub for trolling? Behind a dodger, flashers, what?

Thanks,

Jim

Hey Jim, I just tie the wooly bugger straight to a 5' leader like you would a hook. I troll these at 1.1mph. I put small bullet weight at the swivel. I haven't had any luck with action discs but they must work. These guys chiming in know a heck of a lot more than I do about fishing. Good luck tomorrow, just troll the right side as you come out of the launch area. At least thats where they were Wednesday, looking forward to your post.

Bob

dilbeck
04-11-2014, 02:14 PM
I put wigglefin action discs in front of grubs and wooly buggers. I also put a bobber stop between the wigglefin and hook so that way I can push the wigglefin about an inch up off the hook.

Also try the rock wall on the right hand side of the Jackson arm as you enter. Have had all sorts of luck trolling that wall this year.

I'd plan on getting down 15-20 feet though by 10:00AM or so. I'd have to imagine this heat is pushing the fish deeper now.

Best of luck.

jlivengood
04-13-2014, 09:12 AM
QUICK UPDATE

I want to thank everyone for the guidance and advance. I went to Sportsman, got a couple of Wooly Buggers and some 3" grubs. Saturday morning we headed to Amador.

On the water by 6:30, lines wet by 6:45. the first two hours were slow, one fish on a chartreuse hoochie. About 9:00 after marking fishing at 15 - 20 feet I broke out the downriggers and things starting going crazy.

We got two fish on the Wooly Bugger, both small for this lake, seven fish came on green chartreuse grub, rigged with guidance provided by you gentlemen, minus the Action Disk. The remainder of the fish came on an Uncle Larrys spinner (Firetiger) with a worm.

End of the day, we had a limit, 7 of 10 fish well over the two pound class, with three pushing four pounds. We had 3 SDR, one a really nice fish. Had a few that didn't hook up and also caught and safely released 3 more.

Awesome day and I learned some new tactics to add to my arsenal. Just what I need, and excuse to buy more lures.

On final note, to pay it forward, we met a family on the lake, having no luck at all. They were fishing downriggers, 30 - 40 feet deep with white grubs. I tossed them some of my grubs and told them to pull up to 15 feet, also told them the area we were getting hit the most (at one time we had all four poles coming out of the water one at a time with a fish on). As we headed back to the launch for the day we cruised by them and they had two fish on board and that was only 30 minutes after we had met them.

Thanks again everyone, it is why I enjoy fishing and the Fish Sniffer, what an awesome community.

Jfitalia
04-13-2014, 09:24 AM
Glad to hear you caught some limits

TR4343
04-13-2014, 05:43 PM
Yes amador is off the hook right now snuck out there on my buddies boat today as I am on call for work from 12:30 to4:30 no net or pliers buddy lost his net last week . Managed 9 in the boat in four hours with are hands lol. Biggest 8 lbs three over 4lbs lost a few beings we didn't have a net . 2.0 to 2.4 miles per hour 4 colors (20ft) on lead core 30 ft 8 lb fluorocarbon leader on rapalas blue , orange and fire tiger .find the shelves off the points at thirty feet deep and will hook up most times bigger fish came from middle of lake. Surface water temp up 5 degrees from last week 68 degrees and already starting to see algae only got maybe three more weeks of good fishin out there at this rAte better hit it up before it's done .havent had much success with the grubs or woolie buggers this year gonna have to give them another try and learn how it's done.great time to bring the kids if your 20 foot down they will hit just about anything from rapalas excell and needle fish and apparently woolys and grubs . Just remember different speeds for different lures and grubs.sorry only got a couple of pics due to the fact it was a stealth mission as we had to get back before I got a call.

http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p703/tr4343/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps03cdbdd4.jpg (http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/tr4343/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps03cdbdd4.jpg.html)http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p703/tr4343/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps0745825e.jpg (http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/tr4343/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps0745825e.jpg.html)