PDA

View Full Version : 4/13 halibut Sf Bay

nayr
04-14-2014, 03:26 PM
Trolled the incoming on sunday morning with a buddy. I hit 3 he hit 1. One of mine was half inch short of a keeper. We took home a 23, 25, and a 34in. I went out again this morning and only got one for 4 hours of trolling. All on tray herring. Post pics later. Sorry guys

MoMoney
04-14-2014, 04:59 PM
How did the whaler do?Is it a lot more stable.I was gonna dunk the boat for a few hours yesterday but my wife said we were having company so I stayed home.When I saw your pics last night I told her No More company on Sundays that's my fishing day:)And next weekend is Easter:( Guess Im gonna go Saturday.Always good to see someone Catching them.

nayr
04-14-2014, 06:49 PM
Pic from yesterday

nayr
04-14-2014, 07:04 PM
The whaler is a nice ride in comparison to the old boat. Though the old motor on it requires a bit more attention than I am accustomed too. Im glad I learned a few things from you prior to running this boat like keeping extra plugs( fouled one out today). I also had to replace the impeller yesterday. I think I am going to buy a little 3-4 horse newer motor as a safe back up. Maybe trade my 9.9 mercury for one if someone would like to. Idk.

goliveira
04-15-2014, 07:09 PM
where are you guys fishing for them at? I was thinking about trying the Alameda Rock wall.... any info helps just getting into halibut fishing. Thanks!

MoMoney
04-15-2014, 07:20 PM
where are you guys fishing for them at? I was thinking about trying the Alameda Rock wall.... any info helps just getting into halibut fishing. Thanks!

ARW is a good place,berkeley, Richmond,oyster point,Oakland airport,treasure Island,theres lots of places the key is to find bait at or near the bottom and troll or drift bait there.

nayr
04-16-2014, 09:50 AM
Where the fish are will vary. The best advice I can give you is to have some sort of chart plotter on your boat. The ability to work specific areas based on depth contours will increase your odds of finding fish. I do not have a this feature on my fishfinder so I am currently using one of the many free smartphone aps for nautical navigation. I am using "harborfinder" because it works best on my phone. On my brothers iPhone "skipper" works best. Halibut tend to stage themselves on high spots and ledges in an attempt to ambush bait. Use that to game plan a path you can work for wherever you decide to launch. This is the first year in the last few years where there seem to be a good amount of fish in the bay early.
Side note- running these gps aps will kill your phone battery fast. It cost me $5 to install a 12volt outlet with in line fuse to charge my phone on the boat. Make sure you do that
Best of luck out there.