PDA

View Full Version : Trolling for trout

Jcat
04-24-2014, 09:50 PM
When I troll for trout, most of the time I will use a down rigger. But I have never been sure on how much line I should out. What do most ppl do?
Bill :wine1:

Jetspray
04-25-2014, 02:29 AM
Baitball trolling is at the depth of the bait and short setbacks to roll around the ball. Depth and setback are set for what you intend to do. If you wish to make short turns that determines how far back. I like to use shuttle hawks to keep from bringing up the ball everytime and keep it at a set depth. I can also set multiples up or combinations easily (I have two DR's)........Jetspray

Koke Machine83
04-25-2014, 02:39 PM
If the fish are in the top 30' Long Line at least a 100' If the fish are under 30' you can start using a shorter set back... I run my set backs at different lengths... Don't want to confuse the fish... Robbie

Jetspray
04-25-2014, 03:46 PM
If the fish are in the top 30' Long Line at least a 100' If the fish are under 30' you can start using a shorter set back... I run my set backs at different lengths... Don't want to confuse the fish... Robbie
The longer back you are the more you have to reel in when you get a fish. Like Robbie says the upper part of the water coulomb is particular for long setbacks due to noises from the boat and negative/positive electrical charges emitted. Thing about a DR is you get close to the depth you want to fish at.......Jetspray

Jcat
04-25-2014, 03:50 PM
Thank you for tips, I will do that on my next trip out (as soon as the rain stops)

Bill.