PDA

View Full Version : Downrigger Cable Maintenance

Gypsie
04-25-2014, 08:41 AM
Just wondering what I should be doing for general maintenance on my steel downrigger cable after trolling in the ocean... Hosing everything down with fresh water is obvious, but what about salt-away? Is it a good idea? After that, should I be doing anything else to keep the cables from rusting?
Thanks for your help!

Gypsie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishnmike
04-25-2014, 11:18 AM
Cable is stainless so that helps a lot. Rinse as you said, saltaway if you want. Biggest thing is change out your terminators at least once a year and cut out any kinks as soon as you spot them. Cable goes bad from wear before it goes bad from rust.

Jetspray
04-25-2014, 11:20 AM
Over here I use vinegar in a rag, I have someone hold the down button and walk out the amount of wire I used then set down the weight and reel it back in holding the rag on the line (with a pair of leather gloves on). As long as I keep the rag wet with vinegar it will neutralize the caustic nature of the lakes. You can also use a little spray oil from time to time but you need to make sure it is environmentally friendly stuff. It is also a good time to look over the cable for damage, especially on the frequently used stuff, and all of your DR's booms, pully's, general condition........Jetspray

Fishmeister
04-25-2014, 04:02 PM
I religiously spray down the cable with salt away after each trip. After a couple of seasons I lost a ball because the cable had rusted to the point it broke about a hundred feet in. Change your cable often. Cable is cheap compared to a ball and terminal stuff. The salt gets all the way into the cable and spraying doesn't get in far enough

Jetspray
04-25-2014, 07:25 PM
I religiously spray down the cable with salt away after each trip. After a couple of seasons I lost a ball because the cable had rusted to the point it broke about a hundred feet in. Change your cable often. Cable is cheap compared to a ball and terminal stuff. The salt gets all the way into the cable and spraying doesn't get in far enough
That's why I use the vinegar and go slow, the salt away works too, but it is more of a wash. I agree that replacement is imperative when fishing on the salt water. Trust is rust.......Jetspray

Gypsie
04-26-2014, 06:16 AM
Thanks guys! A thorough rinse every time and frequent inspection it will be. And you are absolutely correct about the replacement cost....
Cheers!
Gypsie

JB14
04-26-2014, 08:58 AM
Dump the cable and go braid when it's time to replace. Goes deeper, less blow back and cuts through jellyfish much better than steel.

Gypsie
04-28-2014, 09:16 AM
Dump the cable and go braid when it's time to replace. Goes deeper, less blow back and cuts through jellyfish much better than steel.

I must say that I was very impressed with the braid on your downriggers, JB. One day... (-;

JB14
04-28-2014, 02:55 PM
Until then you're welcome on my rig anytime.

fishingmark
04-29-2014, 04:19 PM
Replace cable with braid and use a snubber you will loose fewer weights and will outlast cable.

Seon
04-29-2014, 05:28 PM
As for the snubbers, inspect them thoroughly before each fishing trip. After time, they will disintegrate :huh: .