PDA

View Full Version : Miller park

Brickinthewall98
04-27-2014, 04:24 PM
Went over to miller around 130 and right of the bat the guy next to me caught a fish. Thought it was gonna be action packed. Threw 3/4 ounce with a red/chart dart for nothing then after an hour i switched to orange/white and nailed three in 10 minutes. Lost the thrid one which was the biggest and them caught nothing for the next hour and a half... Slowww but better than a skunk. Here are my first shads of the season http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/28/uzy9a8yg.jpg never actually kept one but decide to try it out. Any good recipes??? I was thinking about smoking them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LURKER916
04-27-2014, 04:26 PM
SHAD!
Way to go! I slow cool mine in a crock pot. Fish sauce, siriachi , some onions, little olive oil.... Good after about 5 hours! Smells up your kitchen but worth it!

Matt

dsa2780
04-27-2014, 05:14 PM
Either do like Banker said, or go with this recipe for smoking. I've also heard that they can be pretty good if you take a fillet and do that honegiri Japanese "deboning" technique. You basically cut the fillet up a ton with little slashes and then when you batter it up with tempura batter, the bones fry out due to the fact that your oil is so hot.

How to Smoke Shad - A Recipe for Smoked Shad | Hunter Angler Gardener Cook (http://honest-food.net/fish-and-seafood-recipes/how-to-smoke-shad/)
The Best Recipe for Shad - Japanese Shad Tempura | Hunter Angler Gardener Cook (http://honest-food.net/2009/05/28/fried-shad-recipe/)

I plan on putting my kayak in at Freeport one of these coming 90 degree evenings if the wind isn't too bad. Might as well see what I can pull up from there since the AR wasn't too hot last time I was down there.

Brickinthewall98
04-27-2014, 06:26 PM
Hey dsa where do u launch ur yak at? Iv been looking for an area down by freeport to launch at

ThatOneGuy?
04-27-2014, 06:42 PM
The other option is Shad cakes but it's tiring and meticulous. Yes I know, a lot of guys complain about the bones and such from fishes like Shad and Carp but if you're willing to put the time and effort into them the result is VERY rewarding. Shad is an oily fish, so that means forming into small cake like structures is super easy after poaching and deboning. :bananachaga:

My recipe calls for 3lbs of poached deboned shad.
Step 1. Salt and Season lightly with black pepper.
Step 2. Marinate with Oyster sauce and soy sauce. Preferably to your taste.
Step 3. Cut a sprig of green onion finely and toss into the mix.
Step 4. Using a spatula of your choice, toss and break chunks of deboned shad until it becomes kind of like a paste.
Step 5. Wrap the bowl and leave in refrigerator for at least an hour before prepping for the cakes.
Step 6. You can use and ice cream scooper or if you want to be fancy, use a bowl, compact the shad paste into the ice cream scooper or bowl and place onto wax paper.
Step 7. Dust the shad cakes with Japanese style panko bread crumb and fry in deep fryer for approximately 5-10 minutes depending on the size of the cake.
Step 8. Remove and drain on rack letting it rest for 5 minutes or else you'll burn your mouth from trying to eat it.
Step 9. Now this is where it gets flexible. Serve over a hot bowl of rice, or cold noodles with whatever dipping sauce of your choice. Garnish with greens of your choice is acceptable too!

I will post step by step tutorial eventually, but for now I'm snuggled in a blanket from a cold... No fishing reports till I get better but hopes this helps!:yoda23uk:

dsa2780
04-27-2014, 07:27 PM
Hey dsa where do u launch ur yak at? Iv been looking for an area down by freeport to launch at

I make my own launch! Next to the bridge is pretty flat and is easy enough walk my kayak down. My gear is only like 75lbs so I can transport it by hand really easily without a cart or wheels. If you have a hobie or like a Jackson Kilroy, it'd be a little harder to get down there safely.

Park by the bridge and just make sure you have NOTHING valuable looking in your car. I've never had a problem there before, but I have heard of a few thefts in the past.

If you ever want to hit me up and fish together, I'm always down to. I fish everywhere from a kayak from Freeport down to beneath Walnut Grove and steamboat slough.

Another mid sac option for a free launch is clarksburg. The river is pretty narrow there and is a good spot to bait fish from. I've seen guys do good off of the Yolo side rockwall as well, just when you get out of the town.

Like I said, if it gets to be 90 or so, the shad shouldn't be as iffy as they got with this cold front, so I'll give it a try. Sit on anchor and bounce back 2oz of weight on a dropper with 2 jig colors and hope you're in their travel lane is basically the game I see there.

monkey916
04-27-2014, 07:41 PM
There's always garcia bend... carry your yak down the boat ramp against the shore... also there is a beach just a little downstream of the ramp... you don't have to pay long as you don't park in the long boat spots... in the center of the parking lot... park in a regular car spot and throw your yak in... just an option... if the water is low... there should be a good hundred yards of beach to launch on if not more...:biggrin:

dsa2780
04-27-2014, 07:56 PM
There's always garcia bend... carry your yak down the boat ramp against the shore... also there is a beach just a little downstream of the ramp... you don't have to pay long as you don't park in the long boat spots... in the center of the parking lot... park in a regular car spot and throw you yak in... just an option... if the water is low... there should be a good hundred yards of beach to launch on if not more...:biggrin:

Does shad fishing get consistent at Garcia? The main reason I would opt for freeport in my kayak is due to boat traffic. I try to stay away from launches and areas to where I know guys blow through to get in or out of really quickly. My kayak is only a 10 footer and doesn't do too well on bigger waves. Freeport has boat traffic but more often than not, people are going relatively slow or are mindful due to the big mass of water craft during shad season right beneath the bridge.

Brickinthewall98
04-27-2014, 08:00 PM
Oh ya my cheap lifetime kayak is like 70lbs so seems possible. Ya ill pm u next time i go out to that area and thanks guys for the recipes

monkey916
04-27-2014, 08:39 PM
Does shad fishing get consistent at Garcia? The main reason I would opt for freeport in my kayak is due to boat traffic. I try to stay away from launches and areas to where I know guys blow through to get in or out of really quickly. My kayak is only a 10 footer and doesn't do too well on bigger waves. Freeport has boat traffic but more often than not, people are going relatively slow or are mindful due to the big mass of water craft during shad season right beneath the bridge.
Shad fishing is fine at garcia especially if you can get out like in a yak... middle to the sacramento side would be best in that area...i caught plenty last season off the beach when my boat was down... i wouldn't venture to the yolo side in your yak in that area... not for shad anyway... but that's hard to answer about the boat traffic... because some days its heavy... some days 2 boats... but if its the weekend and hot... your better off in freeport probably... cause the jet skiers will be hanging around the beach... on a weekday your most likely fine... but who knows... i'll keep a better eye out... when im out that way to see how the conditions are... and if it would be alright in your yak...

dsa2780
04-27-2014, 09:10 PM
Thanks monkey, I figure that this striper "season" is winding down on the main sac, and it's about time to target a different species.

jr_superman
04-27-2014, 09:50 PM
^^are you serious? I'm just getting started with the whole topwater thing!! Stupid busy schedule. lol Surprising discovery (for me) that topwater action is not limited to dawn / sunset. I saw action in river during midday top/slack tide.(Was at the wrong side of river tho haha so skunked like always sigh). Anyone know a reel that could reach bank to bank? haha.. can only throw abit over half way with my promax...

dsa2780
04-27-2014, 10:24 PM
^^are you serious? I'm just getting started with the whole topwater thing!! Stupid busy schedule. lol Surprising discovery (for me) that topwater action is not limited to dawn / sunset. I saw action in river during midday top/slack tide.(Was at the wrong side of river tho haha so skunked like always sigh). Anyone know a reel that could reach bank to bank? haha.. can only throw abit over half way with my promax...

If you're talking about trying to get into the middle of the river on the main sacramento, you're going to need a bigger rig to toss plugs out there. With my 11 foot surf rod I can cast a 2oz pencil popper ridiculously far. A surf rod will be your solution.

I said its winding down in the sense that this plain and simply is not a good year for main river striper fishing. I'm cheap and broke as hell and can't afford to drive down to the low delta and SJ where a ton of fish have and will continue to be staging and even spawning, nor can I afford to drive up to areas like Colusa or the Feather where the action is a lot more condensed. There are keepers to be had I'm sure, but the number of dink stripers is way too high for me to really even bother with anymore unless the winds die down and I start seeing fish feeding and hanging around in an area again like I was back in March. I've spent tons of money on bait already and have only caught like 20 plus or so to 16". Low water year man. Fish are smart and know when and where their young have the best option at surviving. The shad will blow up river to their spawning grounds as have the stripers. Only difference is that the stripers need to eat at sometime on their way back down, which should be in late spring and early summer, so I'll have a renewed interest in them again.

Fish are always to be had, but for me at least, I try to target fish when conditions and nature are working in my favor. 10 MPH plus winds, fluctuating temps, low water year, salmon smolts down south instead of in the river system, and hey, a nice new water pump in Freeport starting up in a few days doesn't spell out consistent, let alone half decent striper bank fishing success to me, so I'm kind of done for now at least. When they get all skinny and hungry on their way back down, I'll be out each night throwing for them again.

LURKER916
04-27-2014, 10:59 PM
Thanks monkey, I figure that this striper "season" is winding down on the main sac, and it's about time to target a different species.

Time to target shad!

jr_superman
04-28-2014, 12:21 PM
Cool info dsa something to keep in mind. Tried this morning but nothing. I saw them jumping though. about the gear though I'm cool with what I have i guess i just have to be at right bank(yolo or sac) at the right time.. yeh I wish i know a bank where I could TW on Feather river..(too limited of banks i know where i could fish hehe i dont get around much) and yeh looks like shads picking up.. boats anchored at freeport bridge this morning.

ThatOneGuy?
04-28-2014, 05:08 PM

Are you still catching fish on the Sac in the metropolitan? The last time I was out I've seen 20+ fishermen and nobody even landed a keeper besides the fur bag swimming around Discovery and Garcia. A lot of guys had quit chasing stripers already and had swapped over to Shad because I just recently sent my brother to Fisherman Warehouse to pick up more jig heads and they are sold out of 1/32 heads. I'm iffy on the whole Striper biting consistently in the Sac right now. I know for a fact as of today that some BIG mommy stripers had made their way into the Feather and AR despite the low water conditions but I'm still partially sick from leaving the comfort of my blanket to pursue them. (I was driving home by Campus Commons today after picking up some Nyquil... and watched a fishermen emerge by the bridge with a whopping 40+ inch striper bundled like a salmon... I couldn't help myself but pull over to ask him what he got it on and he said Shad so I'm guessing a little birdie is telling me the truth after all... They are here in the AR chasing the early Shad despite this drought.:shocked:

Brickinthewall98
05-02-2014, 05:12 PM
Went out for a quckie (2hours) and managed this guyhttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/03/e3ezu8ys.jpg Lots of boats but not too many bankers. Couldnt stay longer cause the heat didnt make it worth it hahaha. Was using a double dart set up